Nintendo unexpectedly drops new handheld NINTENDO 2DS XL system (for $149.99)

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Nintendo announces New 2DS XL for $149.99
The Verge said:
Out of nowhere, Nintendo has announced another 3DS hardware revision: the New 2DS XL. As the name suggests, this takes features from the New 3DS, like the C-stick, Amiibo-compatible NFC reader, and extra processing power, while removing the display’s 3D functionality.

But the design is nothing like the wedge-shaped original 2DS — it’s a traditional DS-style clamshell. And, while the screens are the same size as found in the 3DS XL, the 2DS XL appears to be smaller and sleeker.
The Guardian said:
The ever-unpredictable hardware veteran has announced the Nintendo 2DS XL, a new version of the 2DS, which was itself a refreshed version of the 3DS. Featuring two enlarged displays, 4.88in on top and 4.18in on the bottom, and a clamshell design, the new format is lighter than the 3DS XL and of course lacks that machine’s stereoscopic capabilities.

I'm trying to figure out how or if this fits into some strategy with the Switch.

new-nintendo-2ds-xl-2.png

nintendo_2ds_xl_5400.jpg

upload_2017-4-28_4-39-23.jpeg upload_2017-4-28_4-39-38.jpeg upload_2017-4-28_4-40-10.jpeg
upload_2017-4-28_4-37-20.jpeg
upload_2017-4-28_4-41-55.jpeg
upload_2017-4-28_4-44-8.jpeg

upload_2017-4-28_4-44-18.jpeg

upload_2017-4-28_4-44-24.jpeg

upload_2017-4-28_4-44-29.jpeg

upload_2017-4-28_4-44-39.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, it looks gorgeous. I just picked up a 2DS a few months ago, but will have to decide on this or just picking up the Switch.

Why the fuck are there so many 3DS'. Goddamn. I just bought a New 3DS XL a couple months ago. Is this better than mine? Is there any reason I should switch over to this?

Why the fuck are there so many 3DS'. Goddamn. I just bought a New 3DS XL a couple months ago. Is this better than mine? Is there any reason I should switch over to this?

I'm guessing it's the same, just without the 3d.

slightly larger screens, same tech as 3DS minus the 3D.. practically cosmetic upgrades is the only thing I see here. they're just giving incentives for people who own 2DS to upgrade to this.

Kinda perplexing but at the same time it's the cheap upgrade to 2DS ? guess this is the economy upgrade and the switch is the premium upgrade?...

for those of us who don't use 2DS/3DS and already have a switch this is news means nothing to us really...

Wow, it looks gorgeous. I just picked up a 2DS a few months ago, but will have to decide on this or just picking up the Switch.

Same here, bought one for my kid like a month ago. Had I have known this was coming out I would have waited. My feelings aren't hurt to bad since I don't play on the 2DS and I have a 3DSXL to play games with him on.

Has there ever been another console with so many different versions? 3DS, 2DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS XL, 2DS XL.... Gawt damn.

New 3DS is technically a new console, as there are games that you can play on it that you cannot play on a regular 3DS, and going forward they will make games that you cannot play on a regular 3DS. Much in the same way a 3DS was a new console and not a new model of the DS (like the DS lite, DSi and DSi XL were).

But look at the ps3, each bar represents a new version of the ps3.

ddf49d877e8cbae3407db22b20e808d5.png

XBOX 360 had 11 different models over the span of its life.

New 3DS is technically a new console, as there are games that you can play on it that you cannot play on a regular 3DS, and going forward they will make games that you cannot play on a regular 3DS. Much in the same way a 3DS was a new console and not a new model of the DS (like the DS lite, DSi and DSi XL were).

But look at the ps3, each bar represents a new version of the ps3.

ddf49d877e8cbae3407db22b20e808d5.png

XBOX 360 had 11 different models over the span of its life.
I guess I just don't know as much about video games as I thought I did.

I wish they had announced this at the same time as the New 3DS XL. I would have easily bought the 2DS one, I never use the 3D slider on mine.

Seems like the time to upgrade, still using my launch 3DS.

Well, it's not that I think the system itself is a bad thing, but yeah their strategy is confusing at best. Honestly it seems like they keep changing the 3DS on a whim. There's been so many revisions I had to think for a minute which one I actually had when I opened this thread. It's also damn retarded that they added "new" to the title and you have to figure out if a game will run on your older ones or not now.

Well, it's not that I think the system itself is a bad thing, but yeah their strategy is confusing at best. Honestly it seems like they keep changing the 3DS on a whim. There's been so many revisions I had to think for a minute which one I actually had when I opened this thread. It's also damn retarded that they added "new" to the title and you have to figure out if a game will run on your older ones or not now.
Nintendo is one of the most frustrating companies out there as a consumer. They make some of the worst decisions but somehow still make money.

I thought the original 2DS slab design was for cost savings. I wanted to buy a New 3DS XL for SNES virtual console, but that seemed to dry up. If I were to buy a New, I might go with the 3D capable version.

The boxes for New seem to have horizontal label design rather than vertical.

Back