Nike Machomai mid review

ironwolf

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
*will post pics soon*

I had a pair of Machomais for awhile that were given to me by a friend, they were 1/2 size too small and they really got abused, the soles were glued back on and the things were repaired wherre they had been torn, but I used them for about a year before they just became to damaged to be usable.

Since all my standup work is strict boxing these days, I needed new shoes and since Im living in China I was a bit limited but Luckily I had several different pairs to try on before buying. My choices were:

-adidas: very nice but about 2x retail (because china)
-li ning: very common here, think chinese nike....but I wanted something better
-wesing: lots of guys use them here, too cheap for my taste though
-do-wins: another common shoe here, I like their oly lifting shoes but dont like their boxing boots.
-nike Machomai and machomai mid: I like these and have experience with them.
-cleto reyes: horrible, huge and heavy, too hot for training in the hmidity and heat here
-Mizuno: just didnt like the fit
-winning: cool shoes, very light but dont fit me well

Anyways, I got the machomai mid again because I feel very mobile in them, they are light, breathable, they dry quickly and I really like the lace system, its easy to get them tight and easy to get them off your feet, you can sort of spread them with hands then just pull your foot out.

These shoes have great grip on all surfaces, even when the mats are soaked with sweat. I feel like I can pivot and move quickly with them. In my opinion, Nike has upped the quality of these, the first pair I had were origional ones, maybe 5-6 years old. These are brand new and they just seem to be better constructed. I had to pair more for these since things like this are generally more expensive in china but I felt the 110usd was fair, I see title has them for 80 bucks.

I lik these ebcause they are simple, not flashy and functionally they are excellent. I got black on black murdered out ones this time (last ones were white). For the record, I ordered a pair of neop yellow hyperKOs but had them sent to my dads house, I'll pick them up over Christmas.

THe only thing I dont like about these shoes is they feel really stiff to run in during warm ups.

Anyways, theres my short review.

-pros:

+feel good
+light
+dry fast
+look cool
+good lace system

-Cons:

-110 is overpriced, they are a steal for 80 though
-hard to run in

+/-

Quality, we will see how these hold up, some of the older ones were said to wear out quickly, my last pair made it 5-6 years of 4-5 two hour a week training sessions.

If you have any questions just ask. Ill get pics up in a day or so.

Peace out.

Nice review. Same experience here. Got mine for $93-95 (converted from Philippine peso) in red with a white swoosh, I had them for about month already. My only little complain in my experience, is the heel section. My heel moves up and down a little when I'm on my toes. But I'm use to it now and not so bothered by it. I just tie the laces around my ankle to keep my heel in place as much as possible. Other than that I love them. :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, thinking about picking up a pair now for 85 bucks. Only worry is that I heard there extremely narrow in the middle section. Maybe Dicks has them on show and I can try them on befote purchasing.

Machomai (and Hyperko) Tip:
Relace them without going through guides running down the middle of the tongue, and you can get a true fit; especially if you have narrow feet. This helps with the fit particularly on the top of the foot by the ankle, locking your heels down.

I bought a pair of the high top machomais a couple of years back and I have to say, while they are really comfortable, they didn't last long at all. If someone knows of boxing shoes that feel as nice as machomais but won't leave me re-gluing the sole after two uses, please tell me.

So far these are still holding up. My old ones were glued back together several times and I even used shoe goo to fix holes in the sole. These ones just get used 1x a week since im back at Muay thai more often and just box to keep the skill there.

*will post pics soon*

I had a pair of Machomais for awhile that were given to me by a friend, they were 1/2 size too small and they really got abused, the soles were glued back on and the things were repaired wherre they had been torn, but I used them for about a year before they just became to damaged to be usable.

Since all my standup work is strict boxing these days, I needed new shoes and since Im living in China I was a bit limited but Luckily I had several different pairs to try on before buying. My choices were:

-adidas: very nice but about 2x retail (because china)
-li ning: very common here, think chinese nike....but I wanted something better
-wesing: lots of guys use them here, too cheap for my taste though
-do-wins: another common shoe here, I like their oly lifting shoes but dont like their boxing boots.
-nike Machomai and machomai mid: I like these and have experience with them.
-cleto reyes: horrible, huge and heavy, too hot for training in the hmidity and heat here
-Mizuno: just didnt like the fit
-winning: cool shoes, very light but dont fit me well

Anyways, I got the machomai mid again because I feel very mobile in them, they are light, breathable, they dry quickly and I really like the lace system, its easy to get them tight and easy to get them off your feet, you can sort of spread them with hands then just pull your foot out.

These shoes have great grip on all surfaces, even when the mats are soaked with sweat. I feel like I can pivot and move quickly with them. In my opinion, Nike has upped the quality of these, the first pair I had were origional ones, maybe 5-6 years old. These are brand new and they just seem to be better constructed. I had to pair more for these since things like this are generally more expensive in china but I felt the 110usd was fair, I see title has them for 80 bucks.

I lik these ebcause they are simple, not flashy and functionally they are excellent. I got black on black murdered out ones this time (last ones were white). For the record, I ordered a pair of neop yellow hyperKOs but had them sent to my dads house, I'll pick them up over Christmas.

THe only thing I dont like about these shoes is they feel really stiff to run in during warm ups.

Anyways, theres my short review.

-pros:

+feel good
+light
+dry fast
+look cool
+good lace system

-Cons:

-110 is overpriced, they are a steal for 80 though
-hard to run in

+/-

Quality, we will see how these hold up, some of the older ones were said to wear out quickly, my last pair made it 5-6 years of 4-5 two hour a week training sessions.

If you have any questions just ask. Ill get pics up in a day or so.

Peace out.
Would you tell me if they fit true to size or should I go a size up, I have wide feet

I had a pair for the Machomai for a couple years and put them through the ringer. I retired those and picked up a pair of the white w/ red accent Nike HyperKO's and I love the new shoes. Having that velcro tie down in the front really helps to prevent the forward part of the foot from slipping or moving to one edge of the shoe when pushing off the feet. Great great shoes.

I think the Machomai are a good value, but they don't hold up as well as I hoped from Nike. I've had problems with the sole near the front of the shoe. I buy these shoes for my son, 11 years old. His feet are growing fast, but the shoes wear out before he outgrows them. Other boxing shoes are more expensive, so I think I'll keep getting Machomai.

machomai.jpg

Back