Nieman Gracie

Bobby Boulders

My Lovin' Is Digi
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, what do we think about his performance against Ed Ruth? Several here, including myself, believed Ruth could have been the dark horse in this tourney and win the whole thing. Up until last night he had appeared to be even better than advertised, and holding the tools to go very far in this sport. He likely still will, but who was expecting such a great performance from Gracie??? Ruth knew what Gracie wanted to do. Ruth has amazing wrestling credentials, knew that Gracie would want to grapple, and still managed to let Gracie put him in many sub attempts, while finally locking in that RNC. Gracie didn't look bad on his feet either, and Ruth had been getting pop for his standup being pretty good, and getting better every fight.

I have a feeling that someday this will have been a huge win for Nieman Gracie. I mean, it is now, but Ruth is going to come back strong, he still has huge potential. But how good is Gracie? Kron gets all of the attention in that family, as far as newer gen Gracies go. Who'd have thought Nieman Gracie would put a clinic on one of Bellator's hottest and most talked about prospects? We will see just how good the man is in the very next round, bc it will be a title shot, vs the winner of Rory/Fitch.

He made Ruth look like a baby, a BABY RUTH!

Baby-Ruth.jpg

Snap dat chocolate in half yo

im a fan of his. he showed some decent striking as well. he should continue to expand his kicking game because he doesnt have to worry about takedown defense or being on his back

He looked great. Ruth really played into his hands but in the end Gracie had an ace up his sleeve. BJJ. Ruth didn’t really know what he wanted to do. His striking looked weak as well. Plus Gracie looked pretty fresh going into the 4th round while Ruth looked like he could collapse any minute.

Ruth struggles on the mat weren’t surprising against Gracie. I remember he looked vulnerable to submissions against far lesser grapplers. I thought he’d avoid the ground and either win a decision or get a finish through striking. He jumped in the fire within the first minute. By the end of the second I was pretty sure Gracie was going to win the fight.

It will likely turn out to be a huge win for Gracie but the win was very Gracie. You expect the a Gracie to tap out guys who challenge them on the mat. Nieman likely isn’t the new breed of Gracie that will bring the family back to MMA prominence but he reinforces that Gracies aren’t to be trifled with on the mat.

Going forward, I actually like Gracie in a potential match with Fitch. I think it’s a good matchup. Rory on the other hand will execute the game plan that Ruth was unable to.

Last edited:
So, what do we think about his performance against Ed Ruth? Several here, including myself, believed Ruth could have been the dark horse in this tourney and win the whole thing. Up until last night he had appeared to be even better than advertised, and holding the tools to go very far in this sport. He likely still will, but who was expecting such a great performance from Gracie??? Ruth knew what Gracie wanted to do. Ruth has amazing wrestling credentials, knew that Gracie would want to grapple, and still managed to let Gracie put him in many sub attempts, while finally locking in that RNC. Gracie didn't look bad on his feet either, and Ruth had been getting pop for his standup being pretty good, and getting better every fight.

I have a feeling that someday this will have been a huge win for Nieman Gracie. I mean, it is now, but Ruth is going to come back strong, he still has huge potential. But how good is Gracie? Kron gets all of the attention in that family, as far as newer gen Gracies go. Who'd have thought Nieman Gracie would put a clinic on one of Bellator's hottest and most talked about prospects? We will see just how good the man is in the very next round, bc it will be a title shot, vs the winner of Rory/Fitch.
His bjj was a treat to watch, one of the most exciting ground fighters out there right now

I honestly thought that Ed Ruth was a lock. 3x wrestling champ vs a pure BJJ guy. I'd see it as colby vs maia or maia vs any other wrestler, with the exception that Ed Ruth is much, much, much better wrestler than Colbys and such.

oh boy was i surprised. Jumped on Neiman train hard now.

I feel like the rest of that fight should’ve looked like the 2nd rounds did, but Ruth’s cardio was not there.

Nieman is simply a better fighter than any of us gave him credit for. It's one thing to be an accomplished BJJ practitioner, it's another to be effective against high level wrestlers in MMA fights. Nieman can do the latter, apparently. He's also got better striking, takedown game and conditioning than I gave him credit for. I figured one of these guys would demonstrate that they were ready for the next level, and Nieman really did that. He's live against anyone in this tournament, though I think Fitch is a much more favorable opponent than Rory.

I'm watching the fight right now. It reminds me of watching a JJ stylist in Pride FC.

Neiman needs to do a lot of work but I like watching the JJ stylist approach in MMA.

I admire that Neiman seems to be the most willing of the actively fighting Gracies to train all aspects of MMA.

Neiman not Nieman

learn to read sherbros

I think if he gets it to the ground he has a chance at beating any fighter.

Very Gracie like performance.

This is why the Gracies and Rickson always wanted no time limit.

A demo of old school fighting in modern times.

That was an excellent fight, and I was both impressed and disappointed in how willing ruth was to grapple. At times it looked like a compulsion where he knew he should stand it back up, but couldn't back down. They will both be fine and in title contention in no time. I'm really falling for Bellator's welterweight division. So much to be done.

best thing for Ed IMO realizing he is not the best grappler and you could tell he had never been that tired before.... Neiman's a better striker than i thought

I was very impressed with Gracie, biggest underdog in the tournament and a powerful wrestler like Ed Ruth should have been a stylistic nightmare matchup.
He showed good wrestling, stand up and even on his back he didn't fight like a typical Gracie(hold guard and land body kicks) as he was constantly looking for escapes and submissions.

Best part of his win was he didn't rely on just BJJ. His striking was better, his wrestling was better and he was always going for the finish. He proved that he wanted it more.

Didnt think he'd have a chance honestly. Thought Ruth was a lock. Dont know if Gracie is just alot better or Ruth isnt as good or maybe both.

Great win for him and he gets Rory/Fitch next.

I picked Gracie to win actually, but I’ll admit I wasn’t 100% confident in that choice. If he fights Fitch next he’s going to the finals IMO, but Rory is a way different animal. I think Neiman and Kron are the Gracie’s best chance in MMA. They’ve got a few other guys that could be promising down the line, but those 2 guys are the best right now. Roger could’ve been way more, but I don’t think he was as dedicated.

Back