Nieky Holzken's defense seems so limited but he's so good. What gives?

warmer

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Please note: I am willfully declaring my ignorance on this, I am not actually stating Nieky's defense is limited. I'm just looking to learn. I've watched 12 of his fights (numerous times), and it seems like Nieky really only "shells up". He presses forward, shells up occasionally, and otherwise applies his offense.

Yet somehow, he never seems to sustain much damage. Hell, he doesn't even check leg kicks that often. He just covers up with the gloves, waits for his opponent to lay off, then resumes whatever it is he was doing. I never see him back up. I see him slip punches occasionally (and he throws an awesome left hook). Parrying sometimes, but not as much as the average MT fighter. (I know he's a dutch kickboxer.)

Here's my main question: look at his fight against Joe Valtellini. Joe always had such a hard "shell" to me. He has a really strong rigid upper body and holds his guard really well. Yet Nieky lit him up. Conversely, Nieky also has very much the same type of defense, but it looks like he simply never gets hurt. I see him eat a lot of punches too, right to the face. He's totally unphased.

What am I completely missing here? Is Nieky just tough as shit, with a granite chin? Or is he employing lots of small defensive tactics I just don't see?

In some ways, it reminds me of Nate/Nick Diaz, in that they sort of just absorb punishment while maintaining their own pressure.

But most other guys who do this seem to crumble hard. So, is this just toughness or is there more technique that I'm missing?

Hey, alot of dutch pro fighters have a tight guard like Robin van Roosmalen and Jason wilnis for example, its almost impossible to land a clean shot on them, also ive never seen RvR, Wilnis and Holzken getting knocked out.

They keep their hands high the whole fight

The Dutchmen mastered the art of usong gloves as shields. Its why overeem had such bad defense with mma gloves.

I dont think your observation id incorrect, in fact his stationary shell up style has also lost him fights or resulted in controversial decisions. When he throws it's quality, but when he's just moving forward and not doing much but defending shots it doesn't look good on the cards. Buakaw managed to shut him down completely years ago with just a teep alone.

you're right. It makes me wonder why more fighters don't engage Nieky, or any Dutch kickboxer with a heavy-shell defense, in the same way. I saw that Buakaw fight. It was such a simple but effective tactic, and he was able to score on him endlessly.

Watch his seminars, there are a few online and he goes over some strategy.

He uses distance very well, even though he moves forward he keeps correct distance and doesn't overextend himself. Most of the time, he bullys them around after getting respect from a few hard shots, then when they get tired, attacks with leg kicks and punch combinations.

The better a fighter is, the more subtle the talent.

Back