Nieky Holzken signs with ONE Championship

premiumtap

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
The deal is 10 fights in two years. Following Davit Kiria I guess. Makes me a little sad, would have loved to see Nieky fully make the switch to boxing. It will be hard to crack the top 20 in the super middleweight division, but there's more honor in having a go at that for a big Champ like Nieky, even if he comes up short. He lost to Callum Smith, but landed some really nice shots. Signing with ONE kinda reminds me of a washed up singer in Vegas. Like Souwer fighting for WFL and Enfusion. Anyway, best of luck to him.

By boxing standards 10 fights in two years is way too much if you a big name.

By boxing standards 10 fights in two years is way too much if you a big name.

Your comment has me confused AF. Just to make sure we're on the same page, he signed a kickboxing contract.

Also, a correction on the OP. Kiria doesn't fight for ONE, I got mixed up because Davit used to train with Sjef Weber as well. Nieky wanted to be on the Glory 59 card in Amsterdam and when they couldn't make a deal Nieky turned his back on Glory. According to Nieky this new contract is the biggest of his career, so the money must be good.

Last edited:
Good that he's focusing on KB, I kinda miss seeing him fight in KB.

Your comment has me confused AF. Just to make sure we're on the same page, he signed a kickboxing contract.

Also, a correction on the OP. Kiria doesn't fight for ONE, I got mixed up because Davit used to train with Sjef Weber as well. Nieky wanted to be on the Glory 59 card in Amsterdam and when they couldn't make a deal Nieky turned his back on Glory. According to Nieky this new contract is the biggest of his career, so the money must be good.

Is 5 fights every year not considered a lot for KB?

That's about average.

Double that for Muay Thai big names like Saenchai.

That is once every two months though. That is a lot of damage in the ring, and then if you spar too hard more damage in practice. And isnt Nieky kind of a big name in KB?

That is once every two months though. That is a lot of damage in the ring, and then if you spar too hard more damage in practice. And isnt Nieky kind of a big name in KB?
Nieky has been on a slide, losing his last 3 KB outings. Keep in mind a Kickboxing match is 3x3, not near the amount of rounds as in Boxing. Exception being a tournament and in that case you can have 2 fights in one night (used to be 3) and still not have the same amount of rounds as a 1 Boxing match. Holzken wasn't fighting 5 times a year tho, but it's common in Kickboxing.

In Muay Thai they fight way more frequently to the point where they never spar hard in the gym.

Nieky has been on a slide, losing his last 3 KB outings. Keep in mind a Kickboxing match is 3x3, not near the amount of rounds as in Boxing. Exception being a tournament and in that case you can have 2 fights in one night (used to be 3) and still not have the same amount of rounds as a 1 Boxing match. Holzken wasn't fighting 5 times a year tho, but it's common in Kickboxing.

In Muay Thai they fight way more frequently to the point where they never spar hard in the gym.

And the KBers are taking harder shots, maybe no more volume to the head, but to the legs, and body.

And the KBers are taking harder shots, maybe no more volume to the head, but to the legs, and body.
That all depends. When I see what some boxers look like at the end of a fight I've never seen KBers having that much damage and swelling on their face. KB matches are a sprint where you throw it all into 3 rounds. Guys become conditioned to take kicks. I mean if you're trying to give KBers props for being that active thanks, but I don't think it's anything they can't handle.

Didn't even know One had a 170lbs kickboxing division
Souwers fight was at 77.1kg if im not mistaken. They will probably give him some crazy weightclass or the same as souwer. Souwer doesnt belongs at 77.1kg tho, got outbodied by that guy.

Souwers fight was at 77.1kg if im not mistaken. They will probably give him some crazy weightclass or the same as souwer. Souwer doesnt belongs at 77.1kg tho, got outbodied by that guy.

Nieky even at this stage would destroy Andy Souwer at 77KG.

Below are the official ONE Championship weightclasses. It basicly just shifted one weight up but it doesnt allow any form of weightcut via hydration.

Category Upper Limit (Kilograms)

Super Heavyweight 120.3kg - No upper limit
Heavyweight 102.2kg – 120.2kg
Light Heavyweight 93.1kg - 102.1kg
Middleweight 84.0kg - 93.0kg
Welterweight 77.2kg - 83.9kg
Lightweight 70.4kg - 77.1kg
Featherweight 65.9kg - 70.3kg
Bantamweight 61.3kg - 65.8kg
Flyweight 56.8kg - 61.2kg
Strawweight 52.3kg - 56.7kg
Atomweight 47.7kg – 52.2kg

Just that nobody gets to see any weigh-ins and clearly they don't stick to those anyway ^^

souwers fight was at 73kg which is 160lb

His fight was at Lightweight (-77,1KG)

Below are the official ONE Championship weightclasses. It basicly just shifted one weight up but it doesnt allow any form of weightcut via hydration.

Category Upper Limit (Kilograms)

Super Heavyweight 120.3kg - No upper limit
Heavyweight 102.2kg – 120.2kg
Light Heavyweight 93.1kg - 102.1kg
Middleweight 84.0kg - 93.0kg
Welterweight 77.2kg - 83.9kg
Lightweight 70.4kg - 77.1kg
Featherweight 65.9kg - 70.3kg
Bantamweight 61.3kg - 65.8kg
Flyweight 56.8kg - 61.2kg
Strawweight 52.3kg - 56.7kg
Atomweight 47.7kg – 52.2kg

Yeah, but why put Souwer at 77,1KG if you have 70,3KG? He fits better at that weight, but of course it could also have been his own choice. Just find it weird. His opponent was outbodying him like I said earlier.

His fight was at Lightweight (-77,1KG)

Yeah, but why put Souwer at 77,1KG if you have 70,3KG? He fits better at that weight, but of course it could also have been his own choice. Just find it weird. His opponent was outbodying him like I said earlier.

Because i doubt Andy can make 70kg's without hydration. Even tough it might look like it, i doubt there was much weight difference between the 2 of them. It's just not possible with ONE's way of weighing.

Just that nobody gets to see any weigh-ins and clearly they don't stick to those anyway ^^
Well, having been there myself, i can assure you, that they are strict in the weigh-ins. But for their event you have 3 options to weigh.
let me share this with you:
Event week will continue with a 3 day weigh in process as follows: - 2 days prior to event day - 1st official weigh in and hydration test (1pm), you will be given a Urine specific gravity test. For this test, you will submit a urine sample to a collection technician. Under the guidance of our doctor, the technician and doctor will perform a test of your urine sample to ensure that you are fully hydrated (hydrated = urine specific gravity ≤1.0250). If you pass the hydration test, you will weigh in. Your weight must be within the limits of your weight class or catch weight limit. - 1 day prior to event day - 2nd official weigh in and hydration test (1pm), official weigh in and hydration test (1pm), you will be given a Urine specific gravity test. For this test, you will submit a urine sample to a collection technician. Under the guidance of our doctor, the technician and doctor will perform a test of your urine sample to ensure that you are fully hydrated (hydrated = urine specific gravity ≤1.0250). If you pass the hydration test, you will weigh in. Your weight must be within the limits of your weight class or catch weight limit. - Event day - Athletes who have made weight and hydration on both of the previous days, do not have to weigh in on event day. If an athlete missed weight and/or hydration on either of the previous 2 days, the athlete must make weight and hydration on event day as usual.

And please trust me, they are really strict on this. Just like USADA, they need to SEE you take the piss for the hydration test.
There is just no ceremonial weigh-in. The UFC weigh in is also just ceremonial, we don't get to see the official weight neither.

And please trust me, they are really strict on this. Just like USADA, they need to SEE you take the piss for the hydration test.
There is just no ceremonial weigh-in. The UFC weigh in is also just ceremonial, we don't get to see the official weight neither.
Yodsanklais a big dude. Ain't no way he'll be hydrated when cutting down to 155 or even 160.

Back