Nieky Holzken replaces Braehmer in SMW WBSS Semi-Final

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
Updated at 05:25 AM EST, Tue Feb 20, 2018
Holzken Warns Callum Smith: Be Ready, I'm Coming To Beat You!

Undefeated Dutch super middleweight Nieky Holzken replaces Juergen Braehmer as Callum Smith’s Ali Trophy opponent after the German veteran was forced to withdraw from Saturday’s semi-final showdown in Nuremberg.

Braehmer has been suffering from influenza and yesterday revealed he would be unable to compete against Smith at the Arena Nürnberger Versicherung.

“I have been battling a feverish infection since Sunday,” said Braehmer. “Unfortunately, a fight in this state is out of the question. It is not possible for me to go into the ring like this and I would like to apologise to my fans. I was well prepared and looking forward to fighting Callum.”

The World Boxing Super Series' format meant Holzken was already on standby as a reserve, and as the tournament's Chief Boxing Officer Kalle Sauerland explains he will now have the opportunity to earn a place opposite WBA & IBO World Champion George Groves in the final.

“It is unfortunate for Braehmer particularly after such as strong showing in his quarter-final fight with Rob Brant,” said Kalle Sauerland. “Fortunately, we are prepared for such eventualities and the tournament will move forward with our reserve fighter Nieky Holzken facing Callum Smith in our fourth semi-final."

Holzken, who had been preparing to face Russia's Dmitrii Chudinov, insists he is ready to gatecrash the World Boxing Super Series party, and the fighter from Helmond, Holland has already issued some words of warning for his new opponent Smith.

“I've been waiting for this chance to come,” said Holzken. “I signed up as a substitute fighter so I’m in great shape and prepared for Saturday. I've watched Callum fight many times. I study everyone in my weight division. He's a good, solid fighter. We're both big body punchers. It will make for an excellent fight.”

“Callum, you better be ready, because I am, and I'm coming to beat you!”

WBC Diamond Champion Callum Smith and his trainer Joe Gallagher have spent the last months preparing for veteran southpaw Braehmer, but the tournament’s 2nd seeded super middleweight must now switch his focus to this new challenge.

"I gave an interview last week and said it's great there have been no drop-outs," said Smith. "Looks like I spoke too soon."

"We got the call as we were boarding the plane. I am committed to fighting on Saturday and will fight whoever the World Boxing Super Series puts in front of me."
Holzken Warns Callum Smith: Be Ready, I'm Coming To Beat You!

Great opportunity. Still expect smith to beat him comfortably. Smith vs groves should be a good fight

He's 13-0 in boxing and ranked #24 at his weight according to boxrec.
Damn, he's been busy.

Hasn't been very active in Kickboxing lately I guess.

Not that I'm calling him a bum or anything, I'm just surprised.

I havnt been paying much attention to his career as of late or Kickboxing in general.

Seeing his name pop up like this is just, like I said, surprising.

Damn, he's been busy.

Hasn't been very active in Kickboxing lately I guess.

Not that I'm calling him a bum or anything, I'm just surprised.

I havnt been paying much attention to his career as of late or Kickboxing in general.

Seeing his name pop up like this is just, like I said, surprising.

he's lost his edge in kickboxing. lost his last 3 fights and looked pretty bad in them.

wish him the best in his boxing career, but he just lost his will to throw anything when someone pressures him in kickboxing, which I think will also happen against Smith.

Was looking forward to Braehmer giving Smith a boxing lesson.

Hey ho, KO inside 3 for Smith it is then.

This was his last fight in boxing earlier this month. It was against a low level opponent at a club show. I'm a fan of Holzken in the kickboxing world but competing in boxing and kickboxing wasn't a good idea. I thought his plan a few years ago was to switch over to boxing full time? Anyway, that's what he should've done. Smith stops him early, very early.

Nice use of the collar tie there at 6:03 to control his overly aggressive opponent, throw him into the ropes and escape. He'll get warned for that if he tries it against Smith.

Last edited:
This was his last fight in boxing earlier this month. It was against a low level opponent at a club show. I'm a fan of Holzken in the kickboxing world but competing in boxing and kickboxing wasn't a good idea. I thought his plan a few years ago was to switch over to boxing full time? Anyway, that's what he should've done. Smith stops him early, very early.

Nice use of the collar tie there at 6:03 to control his overly aggressive opponent, throw him into the ropes and escape. He'll get warned for that if he tries it against Smith.

Looks GREAT there. Seriously is this a fucking joke?

This is why tourneys don't work in boxing. George Groves just fought in a war and Callum Smith is basically getting a free pass.

Groves probably won't be able to see the finals either considering his injuries so Smith ends up fighting 2 alternates to win this tourney.

This is why tourneys don't work in boxing. George Groves just fought in a war and Callum Smith is basically getting a free pass.

Groves probably won't be able to see the finals either considering his injuries so Smith ends up fighting 2 alternates to win this tourney.

didn't they say after the Groves vs Eubank fight, that they most likely reschedule the final?

didn't they say after the Groves vs Eubank fight, that they most likely reschedule the final?
I didn't hear. All I heard was that Groves was injured.

Rooting for Hlzken but Smith will murder him. Holzken isn't old but he had a logn and tough career and been in the sport his whole life. Lately it looks like he is past his best and can't pull the trigger. Maybe Smith simply outboxes him and wins a wide decision but the difference to his other opponents in boxing is huge I think he will be overwhelmed early on by the difference in competition.

Edit:Looking at Holzken's record it's even worse than I remmebered. he hasn't fought anyone worth shit . It's comparable to Fabio Maldonado's boxing record and all the fights are in the Netherlands. He has no chance.

Last edited:
Holzken is way out of his depth here.

You reschedule that shit, you don't get a fill in. Jesus.

This might've been naive of me (especially since he suffered a dislocated shoulder in the Eubanks fight), but my first thought when I heard that there was a "surprising replacement" was that Groves would make a quick turnaround, and they would just have the finals this weekend.

Similar to Bisping taking the Gastelum fight a couple of weeks after the St-Pierre bout.

They can work and have worked out in professional boxing, obviously. Look at the other WBSS tourney going on concurrently with this one at Cruiserweight. There's been no drop outs and we're now getting the #1 & #2 seeds (Usyk & Gassiev) in the Final. It's gone smoothly and that's what they/we wanted. The SMW WBSS tourney isn't nearly as appealing, but, we'll have the #2 seed (Smith) in the final against hopefully the #1 there too (Groves), provided Groves is good to go and is medically cleared. He said yesterday that he's in no pain and just needs a couple more scans.

This Semi-Final for Smith is a gimme but Holzken is what we're getting. They should've had a better alternate on standby to replace Braehmer but it is what it is. I don't foresee Usyk or Gassiev getting injured prepping for their final because they'll train smart. There's too much on the line for them in particular considering that the winner will be crowned the legitimate undisputed & lineal CW champion. Kalle Sauerland is waiting to hear more from Groves' doctors about his recovery time. The Final could be pushed back to accommodate him from what I understand.

Holzken was a good kickboxer was way past his prime. Callum is gonna hurt him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back