Nicolas Winding Refn Appreciation Page

Yes. Incredible performance. I saw Pusher 2 on Netflix when I was just starting to get into foreign films and I had no idea who he was. Instantly fell in love with him. Blew my mind how good Pusher 2 was and how incredible Mads was in it. He's been one of my favorite actors since seeing it, though I do think it's one of his better roles.

I didn't care so much for Pusher and Pusher 3. They were just ok. Pusher 2 was perfect though.

Didn't care for Bronson either. Obviously Tom Hardy was excellent in it, but the movie itself wasn't interesting.

Didn't understand what the characters were saying but their expressions told the story. I try not to rely on the subtitles when I watch foreign films.

I'm surprised you didn't like Bronson. That's one of my favorite Refn films. @Defeat Unknown

nmPftS9.gif

Drive is amazing film, one of my favs of all time.

I just got finished watching Valhalla Rising. I dunno. It was alright, it was nice not watching a movie with fifty cuts per minute a la Transformers or Avengers for once.
But I couldn't shake the feeling I was watching a weaksauce remake of Aguirre. Nice visuals and I love the choice of environments, but besides that it was kind of pretentious and B-movieish.

Bronson is great because it gives you a headache while watching it.

The movie is shot in such a frantic way that it mimics the mental instability of the main character and what it must be like in his brain.

You wind up feeling frantic while watching the film

I just got finished watching Valhalla Rising. I dunno. It was alright, it was nice not watching a movie with fifty cuts per minute a la Transformers or Avengers for once.
But I couldn't shake the feeling I was watching a weaksauce remake of Aguirre. Nice visuals and I love the choice of environments, but besides that it was kind of pretentious and B-movieish.

^My review wasn't that bad, was it?

To be fair I think Refn is much more a Tarantino than he is a Kubrick, his style is basically to take pulpy B-movie genre cinema and try to ennoble it although obviously more via visuals than dialog.

Perhaps Dario Argentino in the closest? the Neon Demon is arguably rather similar to Suprisa in some respects although I think he has more variety to his work.

Last edited:
This thread has popped up over the last year or so and I still have no idea who this person is.

His movies were great (especially Valhalla Rising and Drive) and then he made Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon, two of the most awful movies in recent memory.

To be fair I think Refn is much more a Tarantino than he is a Kubrick, his style is basically to take pulpy B-movie genre cinema and try to ennoble it although obviously more via visuals than dialog.

Perhaps Dario Argentino in the closest? the Neon Demon is arguably rather similar to Suprisa in some respects although I think he has more variety to his work.

Have you seen Valhalla Rising? @moreorless87

Refn's stylistic filmmaking has turned the world on notice. You either love him or hate him. Calling all Sherdoggies who are fans of this brilliant Auteur. GTFIH and discuss.

@BenRichards @BisexualMMA @Captain Davis @Coolthulu @georgekillian @HHJ @j123 @Joseph Budden @mime @Murlik @OMGstreetfight @Organic Damage @Plissken @Rimbaud82 @R0NIN @shadow_priest_x @Übermacht @Valkosen @Zer

Nicolas-Wending-Refn-.jpg

photogrid_1478296979584.jpg

photogrid_1457119506508.jpg
I've only seen The Neon Demon but I enjoyed it. I thought Elle Fanning was great in that. Also Keanu Reeves in a relatively small role.

Back