Nicky Ryan

AZ103

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
There is a lot of talk about his brother but Nicky is calling out and beating full grown men with black belts. I've watched the Geo match and the quintet match and I'm pretty sure there was another one and I just don't understand what is happening. Is he just that much better than every one?

Nicky has been training with Gordon and Garry Tonon since he was something like twelve. Have you ever trained with someone that age? They pick up and retain techniques so fast it's scary.

Nicky has been training with Gordon and Garry Tonon since he was something like twelve. Have you ever trained with someone that age? They pick up and retain techniques so fast it's scary.
I'm not satisfied. He's not the first young kid to practice with talented adults in the history of sports. He's beating grown men, physically bigger stronger men with black belts. WTF is going on.

I rolled with him a year or so ago and he's one of the best people I've ever rolled with. The kids trains literally all of the time and has been for a while. It's so ingrained in him. Also he's learning the highest level technique and his game is very refined and focused. He has fantastic coaching and elite training partners. There's zero fat on his game.

pretty much, hes with the right training partners, he has the genetics, he has the instructor with the a methodical approach to grappling, hate it or not, danahers hands is all over him.

There is a lot of talk about his brother but Nicky is calling out and beating full grown men with black belts. I've watched the Geo match and the quintet match and I'm pretty sure there was another one and I just don't understand what is happening. Is he just that much better than every one?
Yes. Absolutely yes

He is that good because he has the BEST instructors, training partners and puts in the work.

pretty much, hes with the right training partners, he has the genetics, he has the instructor with the a methodical approach to grappling, hate it or not, danahers hands is all over him.

i wouldnt say he has the genetics even john said nicky isnt a prodigy hes the product of a kid who really works his ass off who happens to have the right coaches and right team

He also has his older brothers gear connects.

i wouldnt say he has the genetics even john said nicky isnt a prodigy hes the product of a kid who really works his ass off who happens to have the right coaches and right team

He might not be bj pen, but he’s got some talent, no one without talent gets where he he’s as fast as he did...

I was listening to an old Renato Laranja Podcast that had Gary Tonan & Gordon Ryan as guests. Mixed in with all the ridiculous nonsense they talked about how Nicky quit High School at 16 to strictly train BJJ with the DDS. At 12 Nicky was 180lbs and now is a lean 145lbs. He's living and training as a full time athlete.

, he has the instructor with the a methodical approach to grappling, hate it or not, danahers hands is all over him.

exactly this. the "methodical approach" that Danaher espouses is wildly successful. the big difference between Nicky and other teenage phenoms (or DDS guys vs other no-gi teams) is that Nicky has a simple game featuring a good basic answer for every potential problem. Based on Danaher IG pictures I've seen, this seems to come via extensive guided rolling sessions.

exactly this. the "methodical approach" that Danaher espouses is wildly successful. the big difference between Nicky and other teenage phenoms (or DDS guys vs other no-gi teams) is that Nicky has a simple game featuring a good basic answer for every potential problem. Based on Danaher IG pictures I've seen, this seems to come via extensive guided rolling sessions.

A lot of the AOJ teens have well structured gi games too. People sucking at heel hooks in general help Nicky a lot when he was younger to tap adults.

I was listening to an old Renato Laranja Podcast that had Gary Tonan & Gordon Ryan as guests. Mixed in with all the ridiculous nonsense they talked about how Nicky quit High School at 16 to strictly train BJJ with the DDS. At 12 Nicky was 180lbs and now is a lean 145lbs. He's living and training as a full time athlete.
Wow had no idea he was a little fatty turned killer

A lot of the AOJ teens have well structured gi games too. People sucking at heel hooks in general help Nicky a lot when he was younger to tap adults.
He won via RNC just this weekend.

sure but it's also that he received well-structured teaching of the well-structured DDS heel hook game.

yeah only thing, he just rncd tokoro at quintet 3

Back