Nick Curson interview | Page 2

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Noodles03, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ripskater Steel Belt

ripskater
    It actually can be quite effective depending on your needs, weaknesses as an athlete and what you are trying to accomplish.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

GordoBarraBJJ
    Just a note - As far as I know RDA did not train S & C with Nick for his fight with Fergie. He seems to have gotten rid of everyone after the Eddie loss.

SpeedofSPort likes this.
  3. The Mysterion White Belt

The Mysterion
    I love his techniques and theory. I bought the ProBodX book and it explains all the exercises pretty good but you have to buy about $200 worth of equipment. It seems like complete non-sense when you first start but if you're open minded and give it 2 weeks you'll see improvements. Also I recommend going to www.speedofsport.com and buy both of Nick's instructional videos. The shit ain't cheap but if you have the extra scratch it's worth it.

If you haven't seen his interview on the Joe Rogan podcast check it out. It's not to shabby.

***Full disclaimer: I'm a huge fan boy of the Marinovich's and their training methods. So my opinion is completely biased.

SpeedofSPort, Noodles03 and ripskater like this.
  4. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03
    I'm wondering, is the information in the ProdBodX book similar to Nick Curson instructional videos?

5. ripskater Steel Belt

ripskater
    In person training is best. Then videos, and then book.

The book is basically the swiss ball mobility workout along with the foot and ankle/balance workout. It truly is tremendous. The absolute best warmup you will ever do in your life. It's tough to explain, but it's so good I don't even want to play a sport without doing this beforehand. It basically primes you body for sport. Nothing else is like it.

Some of the exercises are going to be core strengthening and those can be quite a workout.

For the weekend warrior or the non strength sport athlete, it's pretty darn good.

I would do my strength or explosive workouts, sprints etc after the swiss ball and balance workout

From what I can tell on video, The Marinovich's and Nick do much of their explosive work with powernetics equipment. The Bear or The Supercat modified to their needs. I remember hearing they didn't like the risk of Olympic lifts and prefer the less risk of these machines throwing and catching the weight. There's probably a host of other things they are into by now also.

SpeedofSPort and Noodles03 like this.
  6. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03
    Do you think Curson would allow me to train at his facility even though I'm not a pro athlete?

Sano likes this.
  7. ripskater Steel Belt

ripskater
    I have no idea. If you're interested call him up. It never hurts to ask.

Sano and Noodles03 like this.
  8. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    If you end up training there, report back your experience. That would be pretty cool.

Noodles03 and ripskater like this.
  9. Cmart Aspiring Milo

Cmart
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you have the money he will train you. Let me know if I'm wrong.

ripskater and Noodles03 like this.
  10. ripskater Steel Belt

ripskater
    With the well known trainers who train the pros and high profile amatuers, It's often gonna be about having enough money to pay them.

11. Cmart Aspiring Milo

Cmart
    Pool noodle training is extra, I hear.

12. SpeedofSPort White Belt

SpeedofSPort
    First of all, post some real data, all of it. Don't pick losses for which I had nothing to do with, that's petty, weak, and slanderous. Which already says a lot about you. Second, all of my athletes develop absolute strength OUTSIDE of training camp and maintain it during camp using general prep exercises. RDA just deadlifted 425lbs OUTSIDE OF CAMP ... As for your FALSE, DEROGATORY win loss record that you posted and associated me with,

HERE ARE THE FACTS. 1. I trained RDA for 8 fights he lost ONE fight. That loss also came after a weightcut which he passed out multiple times trying to make weight and in fairness the fight shouldn't have happened, call it an excuse or whatever u like, BUT it is factual. I didnt handle his weight cut 2. I trained Lyoto for a fight which was cancelled. Though I will tell you he did not lose a single round in sparring and in fact knocked out several UFC heavyweights and maybe even a former hw champ not saying names 3. I trained Werdum for two fights 1 was Cain the other was cancelled, the stipe fight he completely stopped showing up 5-6 weeks prior to the fight. So.... 3. You didn't listen to this podcast thoroughly I clearly explain all modalities to Ben Greefield who is "trainer of the year" has masters in ex phys and biomechanics, he was in complete concurrence with what I said..
    4. There are some fighters like tuck and others who come to you when they see many other athletes having success or looking great in training, ellenberger came to me 1-6 in his last seven fights, I'm not a miracle worker and can't salvage everyone who thinks a magical conditioning program is the answer.

All athletic greatness begins in the athletes mind. These guys who follow trends based on the success of others are usually the guys that will not perform well and lack self confidence. But hey if you think somehow barbell exercises would change that then ... you forgot to mention the other standout athletes I've developed over the years like Aaron pico, who actually left me before his bellator debut and you know what his conditioning program was? Bench, deadlift, rows, sledpulls etc... so how does that work? According to you he should've won then?

That all being said, I still believe to this day the training I offer for a fighter is second to none, all due respect to other coaches I believe I've had the best mentors not just marv but many others that trained some of the highest levels boxers and martial artists in the world. In combat sports alone the record of fighters I've trained is well over 200wins less than 30 losses. I have 25 or so affiliate trainers half of which are all high level Physical Therapists or S&C coaches for college or Professional teams.

You make assumptions as a fan, someone on the outside who doesn't know all the details of what really goes on behind the scenes. You don't know that you can get a guy in the bet shape of his life, hr perfect, speed and power off the charts, but lacks the will to win because his testosterone is so low because of head trauma in sparring, you've heard of it but never experienced it as a coach I'm sure. Ever got a guy in the best shape imaginable and he takes a sleeping pill at 5pm the evening of the fight , then you gotta try and wake him up and some how get him ready to go in 2-3 hours ? So many things must be synchronuosly aligned in order to produce a champion. Conditioning alone doesn't win fights, if a guy gasses then yea he'll lose, I've never had a fighter gas, so mission accomplished. So for guys like you it's Better to stay optimistic give people the benefit of the doubt, rather than just criticize based on falsely selected data and personal feelings. Deal with you guys all the time, until you've trained with me or seen it IN PERSON you really have no idea.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    GordoBarraBJJ, Noodles03 and JSnake like this.
  13. SpeedofSPort White Belt

SpeedofSPort
    Yes

GordoBarraBJJ and Noodles03 like this.
  14. SpeedofSPort White Belt

SpeedofSPort
    Well I don't train anyone for free sorry. $60-75 per session for amateurs, 100-150$ per session for pros. Again your personal opinion is skewed. Better to just keep your opinions about me to yourself.

15. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03
    That's okay, take my money <Moves>

I would love to come by and train at your facility.

16. GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

GordoBarraBJJ
    Is this Nick himself?

I Follow you on instagram.

Will hopefully make it out to one of your weekend S&C within the next year.

Was really hoping that seeing Jose Aldo in California and at Robert Garcia's gym, then photos with RDA that he would make the move to the USA and work with a new group; specifically s&c with you.

One can only hope.

Might make it up to Edmonton next week - gotta see if anyone wants to make the drive up - to see Rafa fight. I remember seeing Rafa just before he entered the UFC at Gordo's academy in Rio back in 2009. Great to see him achieve so much.

17. SpeedofSPort White Belt

SpeedofSPort
    Anytime

Noodles03 likes this.
  18. SpeedofSPort White Belt

SpeedofSPort
    Yea we almost met up , Gordo is the man.

GordoBarraBJJ likes this.