Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom

Just got my conformation email the game shipped, so it should be in my mailbox tomorrow and I can get going on it this weekend. I hate Friday launch days and the game ships on that Friday, then I know I won't have it for the weekend.

I wasn't anticipating having it by this weekend and was planning to check out the new Monster Hunter updates and starting fresh next week. Will have to switch gears a little bit, but man the need smash monsters is strong.

I hated ffxv. Wish i never got it.

Yea same here. The worst part is I watched the movie cause I read it prepared you for the game. Read mixed things online about the movie but I actually really enjoyed it. Got a bit whacky at the very end but otherwise thought it was excellent and was ready to play the game. I tried and tried but man is it a bad game.

Yea same here. The worst part is I watched the movie cause I read it prepared you for the game. Read mixed things online about the movie but I actually really enjoyed it. Got a bit whacky at the very end but otherwise thought it was excellent and was ready to play the game. I tried and tried but man is it a bad game.

I agree 100%. I’m shocked at how well reviewed that game is.

How is NNk2? I worry it may be too easy and childish.

I like it so far after being about 5 hours in. It runs well on PC (it should, but you never know), but the combat is a little dull. The writing is also a little too straightforward for me, but the visuals have managed to make up for it. It's cool, but I don't know if it's interesting enough to have me running around trying to be a completionist; I'll probably just stick to the main quest or whatever.

I like it so far after being about 5 hours in. It runs well on PC (it should, but you never know), but the combat is a little dull. The writing is also a little too straightforward for me, but the visuals have managed to make up for it. It's cool, but I don't know if it's interesting enough to have me running around trying to be a completionist; I'll probably just stick to the main quest or whatever.

How is the beginning of the game? The first one it took a solid 3 or 4 hours before you really started playing. I almost stopped right away.

How is the beginning of the game? The first one it took a solid 3 or 4 hours before you really started playing. I almost stopped right away.
I never played the first game, so I can't compare how soon you have access to stuff. In this one, you get equipment and skills pretty quickly (within the first 30 minutes). There are also these little minions that run around with you and contribute to fights, and you get your first group of those after maybe an hour. Your first field battle (where you control an army) takes place about 4 hours in; it's really basic stuff though. You sort of just move your character in the direction you want to go and your units follow and protect you. They're always in your orbit, and you maneuver them like a clock hand. I just created my kingdom, and I'm not actually able to customize anything yet (I don't think so anyway). Right now I'm running through some quest(s) that will probably unlock some customization options.

I never played the first game, so I can't compare how soon you have access to stuff. In this one, you get equipment and skills pretty quickly (within the first 30 minutes). There are also these little minions that run around with you and contribute to fights, and you get your first group of those after maybe an hour. Your first field battle (where you control an army) takes place about 4 hours in; it's really basic stuff though. You sort of just move your character in the direction you want to go and your units follow and protect you. They're always in your orbit, and you maneuver them like a clock hand. I just created my kingdom, and I'm not actually able to customize anything yet (I don't think so anyway). Right now I'm running through some quest(s) that will probably unlock some customization options.
Good to hear. The first game you are a boy from our world who gets transported to the ni no kuni world, but the first 2 hours or so take place in the normal world with game play basically just being hide and seek. It was honestly like watching blue clues or Dora the explorer.

Good to hear. The first game you are a boy from our world who gets transported to the ni no kuni world, but the first 2 hours or so take place in the normal world with game play basically just being hide and seek. It was honestly like watching blue clues or Dora the explorer.
Same basic premise, but yeah you get to start combat pretty much immediately.

Didn't end up getting the shipment this weekend. was pretty bummed I didn't get to start playing this but should have it in the next few days.

How it it overal on the edge of getting this
I got distracted with Assassin's Creed: Origins because it was on sale so I haven't played since I last posted about it. But from what I've played, so long as you're okay with the combat I think you'll like it. I focus on that because there's a lot of it (just like in many JRPGs). It's like a slightly more active Final Fantasy 12.

But just to give you an idea of what the progression is like, there are also a ton of crafting and upgrade mechanics through your kingdom manager, which does make for a bit of a weird take on leveling up. You don't really tweak much about your characters as they level (at least not so far). It seems like the only thing you'll do after a point is maybe choose which skills they have equipped. There's no choosing stats or managing skill trees. But you can create/upgrade armor, weapons, higgledies (these are friendly minions), spells (I'm assuming this includes skills but I haven't actually looked) and on top of that you can manage other aspects of your kingdom such as choosing to focus on mining/livestock/other stuff I can't recall. With all this comes an obvious need to explore the map for items so you can make all this stuff.

As far as the story, it's very standard good vs. evil. The protagonist wants everyone to be happy, and that's why he's trying to build a kingdom. There are some stories for kids that still manage to interweave complex ideas such that they can be engaging for adults, but I don't think this is going to be one of those. Everything is very on the nose, morally.

I hope that helps answer your question.

I'll be pissed if this isn't in my mail box tonight. Wife called and said she won't be home with the kids until 8ish, so this will be prime couch/beer/game time.

Just got the game today and played for like 5 hours. It's great.

About an hour in and can already feel its hooks in deep. The combat is a little more hack'n slash than I prefer, but it's not bad by any stretch. Looking forward to getting some longer play sessions in.

I heard the combat is insanely easy.

It's action oriented, but I'm not sure easy would be the right word to use for it. It seems you could just spam buttons and charge your way through and be fairly successful, but you would be missing out on combat skills. The combat is very similar to "Tales of ..." games. They had a very fast pace to combat and the combos used linked into weapon artes and combos.

I'm only an hour in and have only made it to the first boss in the sewers, so I'm still in tutorial mode. Even with a more Action RPG combat system, I can already tell the game is going to suck me in. I've stayed away from any spoilers at this point other than knowing some of the bigger elements like town building, but the setting/story is what I hoping for(love the fantasy setting in my RPG's), and even though I haven't unlocked it yet I've been picking up a lot of random items for enemies and just laying on the ground so I'm assuming there is some sort of crafting system.

Really digging the overworld. One of the things I've missed from the last few RPG's I've played is nice expansive overworld, and this one doesn't disappoint. Last few I played were Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XII, both great games but they lacked an overworld map that really brings back nostalgia of old school RPG's.

I am weirdly offput by the design choice to use a cutsey chibi artstyle for your characters in the overworld. It just feels so out of place. In the original NNK, when you were in the overworld they used smaller versions of the characters models so I'm not sure why they decided to make this design choice. It seems like such a petty thing to get hung up on, but it's just so bizarre. It's almost jarring every time I come out of combat to see this cutsey version of my characters.

I can't decide if the quest to get a library card was hilarious satire of the genre or meant to be for real.

About 6 hours in, just made it to Goldpaw. Tried to fight one of the Tainted Slimes. I was like 16 and he was only like 22ish and thought I could take him. Was doing under 5 damage while he hit me for 200+. Needless to say it didn't go well. Found another Tainted Rat dude and the level span was much closer at 19 to 23. His defense was much lower and was able to take him out pretty easy and score some sweet Bone Armor which was a huge upgrade to what I was using. Really like the loot system for upgrades, but sometimes they throw so much shit at you I don't even realize I've picked up some equipment because I'm bombarded with messages of picking up pebbles and cuts of meat.

Need to read up on how I can get a bigger army for the skirmihes. Just have the 2 strater guys and going up against much bigger forces.

*edit*
Just did a quick glance and it looks like a can recruit a few army dudes in Goldpaw from doing side quests there. There seemed to be a bunch of side quests that start there, so guessing I'm Goldpaw is is just where the game opens up to branch out.

Last edited:
Making my way through Chapter 4. Unlocked the Kingdom building features and I'm hooked on trying to gather all the resources for upgrades and just guilders to upgrade stuff. I miss the pokemon'esque monster gathering from NNK, but the kingdom building is a suitable tradeoff. To be determined what offers more endgame functionality.

Making my way through Ch.5 and getting ready to make a boat. I have a good chunk of the map open now, and hoping the boat will grant access to a majority of the map. There are some high platforms that don't seem accessible even with a boat so I'm guessing there is some sort of flying contraption I'll get later on down the line.

The last RPG I played was Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I loved the combat system, but found the enemies to be unbalanced with huge HP pools compared to their threat level, even on trash mobs, and found the overall combat to be a chore. I feel like NNK2 is a swing to far in the opposite direction. Overly simplistic combo ARPG style combat to the point where I don't feel any sense of danger from world mobs higher level or bosses. I very rarely feel like I have to dodge/block unless I'm fighting some sort of boss mob or an enemy vastly above my own level. I don't think I'm overleveld since the area I just hit has enemes in the 27~30 range and my group is level 28. I was hoping it would build off of other mechanics and became more complex as you progressed, but 15 hours I find that jamming the light combo is the most efficient way to deal with most enemies.

All in all though, I'm still really enjoying the game. I love the overworld and just being able to explore the map and look for treasure or little hub levels off the beaten path.

Back