NHL Offseason Discussion: Live From the KHL

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by Makani, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makani

Makani Ain't Nobody Ever Been Free

I think the whole country got Price fever during that stretch when he won the Gold in Sochi then had his incredible 2015. I still give him a bit of benefit of the doubt in that he has had a porous defense and almost no 2-way forwards in front of him, but now his contract is actively preventing that from happening. With the amount they overpaid him you could pretty much bring in an entire 4th line or 3rd pairing. There is no relief in sight, they do have a bunch of picks but most of those kids won't (shouldn't*) see the NHL for a couple years. We'll see what Bergevin can fuck up by then.

2. INeedARemedy

INeedARemedy GOAT

Tommy Wingels is such a great hockey name

3. quadrunner

quadrunner Purple Belt

My blues are really disappointing me lately, absolutely no effort out there at all..

I have family in town from Canada and we are going to a blues game, I really hope we show up and put on a great performance. I don't want their first blues game to be a let down.

the ambush likes this.
  4. Makani

Makani Ain't Nobody Ever Been Free

I hope they give you a good game too. Blues fans are pretty used to disappointment with this squad, but usually they at least wait till the second round. If it weren't for the Chicago and LA buzzsaws I think they would have snuck a Final berth in there somewhere.

the ambush and INeedARemedy like this.
  5. quadrunner

quadrunner Purple Belt

Yup, not to mention how many we would have won back in the day if it wasn't for Detroit...

They may have left our division, but my hate for them is still strong to this day.

I never forget.

Thanks tho man, I appreciate it!

the ambush and Makani like this.
  6. JudoThrowFiasco

JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

Namestikov is a pretty reasonable replacement for TJ and the Rangers loaded themselves for a bevy of picks in a deep draft year.

You also cleared a ton of cap space -- and rumor is Broadway is looking across the river and Going to make a serious move for Tavares who is probably pissed that garth snow did fuck all to improve the islanders

MadSquabbles500 likes this.
  7. JudoThrowFiasco

Can't believe they got rid of Stas -- don't think I've seen a team that was a few points out in a competitive division pull the chute on the season while not even commiting to a rebuild

8. quadrunner

quadrunner Purple Belt

Yep.. stastny wasn't a superstar scorer for us but he was our best faceoff man and he was great in front of the net and on the boards.

I'm completely baffled, I expected us to gain a top player in the trade deadline to give us a boost and chance to win the cup but instead we lost one...bizzare

9. Workaholic

Workaholic Red Belt

I've seen one do it... the Blues last year with Shattenkirk

Weird ass management. Like not outright bad because you're effectively managing assets and the team is consistently good. But not great management either since you never seem to have a cup contender team or make that move to truly put you over the top.

The Blues have been a good but not great team for like 15/20 years now and yet they never seem like they're going to win a cup

the ambush and Makani like this.
  10. Prokofievian

Prokofievian Red Belt

Pretty bizarre decision for the blues to throw the towel. They have a good youth movement going, but how does building that jive with them trading two 1st round picks and getting 1 back?

I think they're trying to slow turn themselves over into something better. I doubt it works, though. Your cup needs to runneth over to win.

11. JudoThrowFiasco

You can at least understand why shattenkirk was traded after telling the blues that he would not be resigning with them -- wish the leafs moved JVR, hate the 'treat him as your own rental' mentality

12. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

Miller has been better than Namestnikov the past two seasons, and he is a bit bigger. I not hear that this year's draft is deep. I not hearing about anyone on the level of McDavid, Eichel, Laine, Matthews. In fact, I think this year is even weaker than last years.

There is a good chance TAvares will stay on LI. I hear he wants to stay. That is what all the pundits are touting. They trade Nash for nobodies. They send both McDonagh, and Miller for basically just one guy.

13. JudoThrowFiasco

Where is the hell did you hear that this drat year is not strong -- do you even know who Ramus Dhalin is??? Seriously, do some research on this draft year.

also, they traded for picks and reasonable replacement players -- spooner is at a higher ppg this season than nash and only costs 800k per year. Namestnikov is also a higher ppg than Miller and is 5x cheaper. Plus you got multiple first rounders and later round picks.

You watch hockey, right?

EDIT - Spooner in his first game for NY - 2 assists. Namestnikov first game for the rangers - 2 goals.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    ScarHead likes this.
  14. MadSquabbles500

I have heard of the name, but hardly at all. He is not getting much of any hype. He gets a brief name throw-in every now and then. And if he is the best player, he will go #1. I believe another team will get him.

15. JudoThrowFiasco

He is to defense as what matthews is to center -- he is being regarded as the best defensive prospect in a long whle.

do some research. this is one of the deepest drafts in a long while
    Here:
    I don’t typically publish my preseason rankings, but I just couldn’t contain my enthusiasm for the 2018 draft class.

ScarHead likes this.
  16. MadSquabbles500

17. JudoThrowFiasco

LOL you didnt hear dhalin, Svechnikov or tkachuk during the WJC!?!?

Did you watch it with the sound off?? or did you even watch it at all?

ScarHead likes this.
  18. MadSquabbles500

I only remember Mittelstadt and Bellows because nobody is really being hyped. Nico Hischier had more hype than anyone this time around.

19. JudoThrowFiasco

you have no squabbles when it comes to hockey prospect knowledge

ScarHead and GreenBastard like this.
  20. MadSquabbles500

Whatever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.