NHL Offseason Discussion: Live From the KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta feel for Jack Johnson, but he's playing like garbage this season. Sidenote, how have the Leafs allowed 50+ shots and only 3 goals? Madness.

Gotta feel for Jack Johnson, but he's playing like garbage this season. Sidenote, how have the Leafs allowed 50+ shots and only 3 goals? Madness.

Freddy the GAWD, that's how.

Defense is overrated, score more, but fuuuuuuck Polak. Icing everything, smacking it off the boards all the damn time.

Also, Zaitsev, get it together bruh.

Also, what's with this JVR would be worth more than Patches bullshit?

Don't get me wrong, JVR is a fine player, but he's not as good as Patches.

Nazeeeeem the dream baby

That Marner-Kadri-Marleau line is on fucking fire

I swear Babcock has been intentionally fucking with the lineup to send messages

Come the yoffs he's going to fully optimize it and send Polak to the press box (or hell) where he belongs and this team is going to be a terror for anybody they match up against

Freddy the GAWD, that's how.

Defense is overrated, score more, but fuuuuuuck Polak. Icing everything, smacking it off the boards all the damn time.

Also, Zaitsev, get it together bruh.

Was happy when the Blues got rid of Polak but then was disappointed when it was the Leafs he was going to.

It is much better to have an EGF of 3 and EGA of 3.5 than it is to have an EGF of 2 and an EGA of 2.5. Like, by a lot. Your win percentage is significantly increased in a 7 game series. Like, from 2:1 to 1.5:1 underdog, and that situation is pretty extreme. Not even Montreal is 3.5 EGA bad.

No teams wins cups with a goal differential of 0.49 while giving up 36 shots per game. Closest facsimile is Chicago Black hawks with .67 and .69 and both times, they had... Duncan Keith , a legit number 1 dman playing Conn level hockey. Also, Toronto goal production is not significantly cut without JVR or when he plays lower mins (this 5 game stretch shows that)

Why on earth would Matthews get max? We've come down from candy cane forest wherein Matthews was even comparable with McDavid, and not even the McJuice got a max contract. 'Member early in the season when people would jk about that? They don't so much anymore.

I think its pretty unanimously agreed upon that Matthews is going to get max contract - legit #1 center in year 2, annual 40 goal scorer, responsible in his own end, loved by the city. McDavid was offered max deal, he gave some back so PC could have some play around money to add pieces

MCDAVID, LIKE OTHERS BEFORE HIM, LEAVES MONEY ON THE TABLE FOR OILERS IN PURSUIT OF CUP

And JvR's value is not higher than Max's. Not even close. Max gives a team 2 chances. JvR gives a team one. Player control is king. And let's not get crazy and start saying things like ''JvR is a perennial 30 goal scorer'' and ''Max's value is negatively affected by his season'' when Pacioretty actually is a perennial 30 goal scorer (JvR isn't), and their total offensive output this year is basically the same despite vastly different circumstances. Like, how confident are you that there's no way that Patches will make it 5 years in a row in which he's scored more goals than JvR, even with the 7 goal gap?

Alright i did the mimic hero compassion and Pax is a better value (regular season) then JVR -- but their playoff performances are pretty comparable. Either way, both are worth a 1st and a prospect at the least. They are pretty historically similar .36 v .32 career gpg. Pax is better at shot generation and suppression - point conceded. However, JVR will score more this year.

But here's why I asked my question: what first and what prospect? There isn't some central first and prospect reserve that can quantitatively ease firsts and prospects. There has to be an actual match. The actual names are quite important especially since you're trying to parlay them into OEL.

There is a myriad of situations that could go down but i would say the most likely (if toronto does not get Ryan Mcdonagh) is San Jose -- and theres no reason that couldnt come with their first and Heed. Leafs could flip that (or their 1st)+ any combination of smith, leivo, mueller for a OEL.

$

CBJ worldwide

Oilers get shutout by the Coyotes, the final humiliation. Arizona has actually looked half-decent these last few games. Couple good picks and a free agent and they're right back.

No teams wins cups with a goal differential of 0.49 while giving up 36 shots per game. Closest facsimile is Chicago Black hawks with .67 and .69 and both times, they had... Duncan Keith , a legit number 1 dman playing Conn level hockey. Also, Toronto goal production is not significantly cut without JVR or when he plays lower mins (this 5 game stretch shows that)

Someone made a really interesting chart last season, to make the case that Montreal sucks dick and our result against NYR was totally expected. The forum update on hfboards totally screwed it up, though. In it, he compared teams based on how often they scored a certain number of goals or allowed a certain number of goals to playoff and non-playoff teams. This was really interesting because Pittsburgh, against playoff teams, allowed an average of about 3 GA/G. Nashville, IIRC, allowed about 2.77. This was actually on the high end among playoff teams. What the two teams also shared, however, was the fact that they were able to score enough to keep up with this number.

There is a myriad of situations that could go down but i would say the most likely (if toronto does not get Ryan Mcdonagh) is San Jose -- and theres no reason that couldnt come with their first and Heed. Leafs could flip that (or their 1st)+ any combination of smith, leivo, mueller for a OEL.

I think McDonagh is the best option for you guys. It's time to start unloading some piece from that bloated prospect pool to start taking swings. There's one variable that gets forgotten in considering how to maximize the likelihood of winning a cup: number of attempts.

What would your offer for McDonagh be?

Montreal is pretty well locked into the bottom 6 now. Finally, after this weekend, we reached the bottom 3. There was a point where we went 0-2-1 and actually climbed from 4th last to 6th last. That was like taking crazy pills.

Montreal is the worst road team in the entire league. We have something like 12 out of the next 16 games on the road, too.

Uncle Bettman's going to give us T-1000 to Karlsson's T-800.

Now Nuiverth is out for the Flyers as well as Elliott....

This blows. I really don't want Hextall to give up anything for a goalie, but he might have to now. Hopefully its just a pick and maybe Sam Morin.

Now Nuiverth is out for the Flyers as well as Elliott....

This blows. I really don't want Hextall to give up anything for a goalie, but he might have to now. Hopefully its just a pick and maybe Sam Morin.

I dunno, Lyon looked good last night in relief, maybe wait till the deadline to make a deal before hitting the panic button. I don't think the Flyers are quite there yet, they're really benefiting from a monster season from Couterier.

I dunno, Lyon looked good last night in relief, maybe wait till the deadline to make a deal before hitting the panic button. I don't think the Flyers are quite there yet, they're really benefiting from a monster season from Couterier.

Yeah, I don't think they're where they need to be yet either, which is why I don't want to make a move for a goalie now and give something up.... it really sucks that Stolarz is hurt too, this would have finally been his chance, it seems like we drafted him 10 years ago.

I hope Giroux and the other vets still have some gas in the tank by the time Carter Hart comes around... its gonna be a close call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back