NHB Was More Exciting Than MMA

Having been a fan of NHB (no holds barred) fighting since I bought UFC 2 way back in 1994, I have to say The UFC PPVs were more exciting when they were still NHB. I liked almost everything about it better: The tournament format, the danger and excitement of fights in which the only techniques not allowed were biting, eye gouging, and fish hooking, the format of no rounds and no time limit - simply a fight to the finish. and the absence of weight divisions which meant the winner of the tournament wasn't just "the best for his size." The winner was the best for any size. he was simply the best. Period.
it was more raw back then, for sure.

today it's more refined. the fighting is better, no question. the skillsets, the training, etc. it's all more athletic. weight classes, regulation etc have also helped made it so. and there are fewer single dimensional fighters, because most everyone is a 6 or better at each important technique.

also, no one knew what worked best yet. it took a few years to weed out techniques that everyone thought would work best in a fight, but actually didn't work best in a fight. that led to some very violent (e.g. fun and entertaining for us fans) results.

i can certainly appreciate why some would find the raw - but lower quality and less athletic - fighting more appealing.

but i can also appreciate why others like the more refined, higher quality fighting of today better.
~~~~~
i think i liked the happy medium between the two extremes of about 2002 to 2007 best.

Last edited:
For reference, this is apparently the NHB fight that ended NHB in the US and almost killed MMA in its infancy:

To this day, I still hold the ill-fated Ultimate Combat Championship as one of my favourite old school NHB tournaments. It was so cheesy in its production and presentation, yet had some great match-ups and some truly brutal fights.

By the way it was called the World Combat Championship not the Ultimate Combat Championship.

Jungle Fights sucked.
It was crazy but NHB is never going to have the production funds to sustain it being entertaining. Too much risk.

Those bare knuckle tournaments that Chris Lytle fights in are stupid and low quality fights.

It’s these 5 minute rounds and 10-9 scores that drive me crazy.

It’s as if they chopped it up so much and every little part of fighting that could possibly lead to anything became the end game for so many fighters.

I appreciate the Vale Tudo style the most, as in try to finish by strikes or submission.

I totally disagree that a 50-45 shows more dominance than a finish. It just shows that the guy knows how to stall and neutralize.
It only shows more dominance under the Unified Rules.

It’s these 5 minute rounds and 10-9 scores that drive me crazy.

It’s as if they chopped it up so much and every little part of fighting that could possibly lead to anything became the end game for so many fighters.

I appreciate the Vale Tudo style the most, as in try to finish by strikes or submission.

I totally disagree that a 50-45 shows more dominance than a finish. It just shows that the guy knows how to stall and neutralize.
It only shows more dominance under the Unified Rules.
i agree with most everything you say.

to me it would be fun to have an 8 person tourneys again. pay every participant $30k/$30k per fight and pay the winner an extra $370k - they can market it as a one million dollar event.

7 fight cards. winner gets a $550k pay day, everyone makes at least $30k. and we as fans agree to acknowledge that sometimes the best fighter won't win because of injury. but that's fine, because that fighter can join another tourney soon.

and yes, i know this is currently illegal in most if not all states, due to no one fighter being able to fight more than 30 minutes in any one given night. but i can dream.

Guys with limited knowledge of mma laying on each entire time = more exciting?

I guess so were bar n school fights then

I watched those too but the problem is that it's hard to get quality athletes to participate in something like that. More often than not you end up with crazy brawler types when there aren't many rules (Tank Abbott etc)

Having been a fan of NHB (no holds barred) fighting since I bought UFC 2 way back in 1994, I have to say The UFC PPVs were more exciting when they were still NHB. I liked almost everything about it better: The tournament format, the danger and excitement of fights in which the only techniques not allowed were biting, eye gouging, and fish hooking, the format of no rounds and no time limit - simply a fight to the finish. and the absence of weight divisions which meant the winner of the tournament wasn't just "the best for his size." The winner was the best for any size. he was simply the best. Period.

I agree 100%. I want to see a fight- not an athletic competition.
No rounds, very limited rules, no referee interference.
I would implement a 15 minute (maybe more) time limit though.

The tournament thing too, fighting multiple times in one night, man I miss seeing that.

I suppose that the UFC could host a one night tournament, say in Japan, and avoid having to fight under the USA's athletic commission's restrictions. That would be sweet.

For reference, this is apparently the NHB fight that ended NHB in the US and almost killed MMA in its infancy:

To this day, I still hold the ill-fated Ultimate Combat Championship as one of my favourite old school NHB tournaments. It was so cheesy in its production and presentation, yet had some great match-ups and some truly brutal fights.

Damn that looks like an actual fight, not a sport

it was more raw back then, for sure.

today it's more refined. the fighting is better, no question. the skillsets, the training, etc. it's all more athletic. weight classes, regulation etc have also helped made it so. and there are fewer single dimensional fighters, because most everyone is a 6 or better at each important technique.

also, no one knew what worked best yet. it took a few years to weed out techniques that everyone thought would work best in a fight, but actually didn't work best in a fight. that led to some very violent (e.g. fun and entertaining for us fans) results.

i can certainly appreciate why some would find the raw - but lower quality and less athletic - fighting more appealing.

but i can also appreciate why others like the more refined, higher quality fighting of today better.
~~~~~
i think i liked the happy medium between the two extremes of about 2002 to 2007 best.

Although I bought a considerable number of PRIDE PPVs, as good as they were, there was something about the original UFC format with the tournament elimination style contest with an added Superfight was still my favorite of any of this NHB/MMA competition.

I have tremendous respect for Royce Gracie but his fighting style was not the style I found most exciting. The style I enjoyed most was the powerful, double-leg takedowns delivered with the force of a freight train by guys like Coleman, Kerr, Couture and Frye was my absolute favorite when it was followed by devastating ground and pound where knees to the ribs were legal. So I suppose (I'm not using fight finder of Wiki) my favorite era was mid to late 90s, especially in UFC, but also in PRIDE and after The UFC lost Coleman and Kerr, then PRIDE was favorite promotion of that era (I'm thinking very late 90s to mid 2000s).

Being American and knowing catch wrestling is the American martial art, that just adds some pride to the emotion I feel when I see that era of fighting. Of course there are always ex options to the rule and as much as I liked Coleman, Kerr, Fye, and Couture there were couple other guys I really liked to watch fight - Vitor Belfort and Tank Abbott. Vitor's hand speed was shockingly faster than that any of hissers and a thing of beauty to watch. Tank Abbott was not the most well rounded fighter, his cardio was sometimes mediocre at best, but he was fearless and brought an aura of danger to The Octagon with the awesome power he packed in a single punch. That was plenty of reason to cheer him already but in addition, he was by far the wittiest, funniest guy on The UFC roster when doing interviews or even guest color commentary. Tank had the gift of gab!

In PRIDE, in what I think was the early 2000s, I added a few new favorites to my list. ""Slampage" Jackson was entertaining in and out of the ring and his powerslams were things of awesomely destructive beauty to see. I was so happy when he finally beat Wanderlei Silva! I also thought Sakuraba was awesome, especially for his size and no wonder! He was trained by American catch wrestling legend Billy Robinson! I was in awe of CRo-Cop's finely tuned Terminator-like machine of a body. Even Fedor was a little chubby but Cro-Cop seemed to be such an efficient fighting machine with no extra fat and an awesome catch phrase - "Right leg hospital, Left Leg cemetery!"

Finally Bas Rutten was the best color commentator, light years beyond Rogan, and he was also no slouch at competing in the ring either. he's obviously a man with a tremendous amount of knowledge of different fighting techniques and appears to have reached a high level of proficiency in lots of them. He's also a guy who is a perfect example of someone with charisma and personality who can cut a good promo without needing to resort to "shit-talking." He's far too creative to just take Coonor McGregor's style of endlessly repeating "I don't give a F**K which was exactly what we heard in the build-up to the fights with Diaz.

WW2 Was More Exciting Than NHB.

Having been a fan of WW2 (World War 2) fighting since I saw Hitler's speech way back in 1941, I have to say fighting was more exciting when they were still in a war. I liked almost everything about it better: the full on countries vs. countries melee, the danger and excitement of death matches in which techniques like biting, eye gouging, fish hooking, skull bashing, dick chopping, artillery striking, civilian raping were completely allowed, the format of no rounds and no time limit - simply a fight to the finish. and the absence of weight divisions, 1 vs. 1 or no weapons rule, which meant the winner of the war wasn't just "the best at 1 on 1" or "the best at a fist fight". The winner was the best country ever. It was simply the best at fights to the death. Period.

Plz be serious ts is obviously talking about unarmed combat

To which I gotta say nhb is a pussified version of original pankration.

In original pankration there were no rules, then some pussies tried to introduce no eye gouging rule?!?

Spartans has every right to be upset about that decision n boycotted pankration events from then on

Boxing has too man belts and has been a broken system for a very long time. Plus they can crush their way up to popularity which is pretty much cheating.

MMA puts equal competition in the cage vs one another and is much more respectable.
Only four belts matter in Boxing and having many belts is good since the best fighter can hold many.

you must have a selective memory because some of those fights especially with guys like Coleman and Severn was boring as fuck. That's not even bringing up no named fat fucks with no skills gassing after two minutes plodding around the ring/cage until they fall over due to being gassed. Shit even in Rio Heros that was a jucied up guy who passed out due to being gassed. I really don't see how NHB was exciting other then on shock vaule.

The style I enjoyed most was the powerful, double-leg takedowns delivered with the force of a freight train by guys like Coleman, Kerr, Couture and Frye was my absolute favorite when it was followed by devastating ground and pound where knees to the ribs were legal.

Knees to the ribs are still legal. GSP smashing Serra for example

best part of those days .... nobody really cross-trained that much. it was always pretty much a question of style vs style. That element is now watered down for better or for worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back