Ngannou's only loss showed us that...

MMonk

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So here are fight higlights :

There, Zoumana Cisse takes him down with judo trip and judo throw. Then goes for control and subs.

Granted it was 4 years ago and Ngannou improved.

But still, grappling for 4-5 years is not the same as grappling since 5-8 y.o.,
so guys like healthy Cain and Stipe could give him problems with pressure in clinch
and constant takedowns.

Because last 2 fights showed us that striking with him is very dangerous.
Probably Volkov is the only guy who could match Ngannou's power with karate technique and footwork.
( I really see him as a next contender, since improving striking with Shilt is... scary)

Other then that - powerfull pressure grappling, mixing takedowns, GnP, Sub...

Discuss.

It shows that his weakness is THICCness!

DC>Francis :D

There, Zoumana Cisse takes him down with judo trip and judo throw. Then goes for control and subs.

so guys like healthy Cain and Stipe could give him problems with pressure in clinch
and constant takedowns.

Probably Volkov is the only guy who could match Ngannou's power with karate technique and footwork.
( I really see him as a next contender, since improving striking with Shilt is... scary)

Discuss.

You have to have both technical striking and wrestling and the ability to blend the two

Stipe is a tough fight for him

Man nothing 4 years ago is relevant today when it comes to fighting. As a matter of fact 6 months does not mean crap to a fighter who is up and coming and learning.

Lost to a fucking sissy.

Man nothing 4 years ago is relevant today when it comes to fighting. As a matter of fact 6 months does not mean crap to a fighter who is up and coming and learning.

Still grappling for 20+ years > fro 5 years.

You can defend for couple rounds, but if you are not conditioned for that enough,
that will show in championships rounds.

If you get there, of course.

Francis be like, "I'm a trained motherfucker step off the track!"

I hope Miocic wins but I got a real bad feeling about this one.

and constant takedowns.

Discuss.

that was like his 2nd pro fight...not really applicable today...look how far max holloway has come.

Still grappling for 20+ years > fro 5 years.

You can defend for couple rounds, but if you are not conditioned for that enough,
that will show in championships rounds.

If you get there, of course.
He completely controlled Overeem in the clinch, which is where Reem usually dominates. He also nuetralized and shown the ability to pop back up after being taking down by a very good wrestler in Curtis Blaydes. The ghost of sea level Cain would probably tool Francis, but I don't know if there's a current HW that can do the same over 5 rounds.

I feel like a couple of those shots Ngannou landed in that fight, if they land today on Stipe, Stipe is going to sleep

He's a front runner, as soon as it doesn't go his way he'll become the black turtle lesnar.

That's ridiculous to say you have to be grappling your whole life to compete. GSP never grappled before his fight career look at him, and rory Mcdonald for that matter.

If you're gonna reference Ngannu loss from 4 years ago then, I guess we can discuss Stipe getting stopped by Struve in 2012. Both have improved immensely. To me it's a pickem fight.

Last edited:
Newsflash guys

People can't improve

He's a front runner, as soon as it doesn't go his way he'll become the black turtle lesnar.
I'd be interesting to see proof to back this statement up.

Or is he a frontrunner in the same way Carwin was, in that nobody he beat ever made it out of the first round?

You realise it happened many years ago when MMA was still legal in France?

It depends on the fighter of course but I think Ngannou is an obvious case were its not very relevant, some guys come into MMA with most of there skill set there already and just fill in a few gaps and delevop more ring smarks, Ngannou though didn't really have much MA background before this fight a few months into his training. Not to say he might not have a grappling weakness but really the Ngannou we see today is a totally different fighter.

The only thing that actually seems that relevant about this match to me is arguably a positive, he's in bad positions several times but does not fold mentally.

True, also blaydes took him down more than once as well, that's why I think Cain in particular would be a problem for him.
Werdum would also be a problem due to his clinch and if he could get it to the ground then there's obviously a problem for ngannou

Back