Ngannou vs. Pedro Rizzo

It would go like Rizzo's fights with Sergei and Roman Zentsov. Ngannou would be patient, eat a few leg kicks if he had to, then catch Pedro with a massive counter.

We still don't know that much about Ngannou, but he's nothing like an off-the-barstool Tank. He has huge power like Tank or Roy Nelson, but also has very fast hands, good reaction time and is quite technical.
Those fights were in 2005 and 2006.

Rizzo started fighting in 1996.

He beat Barnett in 2001, Arlovski in 2002 and Ricco in 2003 and arguably beat Randy the first fight in a war in 2001.

I am guessing that either the TKO loss to McGee in 2003 or the Sergei KO in 2005 combined with mileage and age knocked Pedro out of his prime somewhere between 2003 to 2005.

2003 and prior was Rizzo at his best.

Nostalgia in MMA is really something else.

Every time there is a thread of a current top fighter vs. an old-timer in his prime, all these know-alls come out of the woods to say "Oh yeah, the old guy in his prime would've handled him. You guys don't know how good he was in his prime."

Ngannou is a beast, and a much bigger man. Sure, not many HWs at the time (circa 2000) could mess with Rizzo standing up, but that was 2000, when there weren't too many competent strikers around in that division (at least in the UFC).

I would give Ngannou an edge based on physicality and stylistic match up.

Like someone else already mentioned, it would be a bad move to rely so heavily on leg kicks against a puncher like Ngannou.

tumblr_mt6v5gTXuB1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Ngannou via teh left.
Who’s this?

Nostalgia in MMA is really something else.

Every time there is a thread of a current top fighter vs. an old-timer in his prime, all these know-alls come out of the woods to say "Oh yeah, the old guy in his prime would've handled him. You guys don't know how good he was in his prime."

Ngannou is a beast, and a much bigger man. Sure, not many HWs at the time (circa 2000) could mess with Rizzo standing up, but that was 2000, when there weren't too many competent strikers around in that division (at least in the UFC).

I would give Ngannou an edge based on physicality and stylistic match up.

Like someone else already mentioned, it would be a bad move to rely so heavily on leg kicks against a puncher like Ngannou.
Peak hype is something else too.

It’s easy to see Ngannou as invincible now, when we’ve never seen him in trouble or finished. In 10 years, when he’s had multiple losses and probably gotten KOed, it’ll be much easier to envision him losing.

I’d probably favor Ngannou in this fight, but he may not be as good as he appears. And Rizzo would clearly pose a threat.

Pedro is not 6´3, IIRC

Igor has/had huge legs/thighs too
I stand corrected, he always looked taller than 6'1" when beside other HWs. I still believe 205 wouldnt have been a good weight class for him. I dont believe anyone whos an inshape 240 should be cutting to 205. Igor made and does have a thick body but again hes not a tall fellow and he was thicker toward the end of heres career. It would have surprised me if he was like 210 when he first started fighting

Back