Ngannou gassed hard in RD 2 of Blaydes fight

The thing is, Blaydes does all that too. They were both obviously worn out from two rounds of hard fighting but Ngannou was nowhere near 'gassed'. That is a completely absurd thing to say.
We'll agree to disagree. I think you're wrong, but oh well. And yes Blaydes was gassed too, but I think his wrestling gives him the advantage once they're both gassed. I'm pretty sure my initial point a long time ago was that Ngannou doesn't have a chance in hell against Cain if he can't get the first round KO.
IMG_6650.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6650.JPG
    IMG_6650.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
We'll agree to disagree. I think you're wrong, but oh well. And yes Blaydes was gassed too, but I think his wrestling gives him the advantage once they're both gassed. I'm pretty sure my initial point a long time ago was that Ngannou doesn't have a chance in hell against Cain if he can't get the first round KO.
View attachment 312301

We'll agree to disagree indeed, even though all the objective measurements indicate Ngannou won that fight and would've won even if it went to the third round disregarding all BS excuses and idle speculation about fighting skills.

Just rewatch this fight.

Curtis landed his jab at will (lol), leg kick as well and was dominant on the feet.

At the end of the 1st round, after grappling exchanges Ngannou was already gassed, and in rd2 it was clear.

Ngannou is overhyped, Stipe gonna take him down, land his jab at will and out struck him.
Ngannou 1st round KO though
Ive been saying this forever , blaydes is his best win so far . He will gass against stipe too , he has never fought longer then 10 mins and is 10-1 with 1 guy beating him by dec and and him not koing 5 more . With his two best names getting ko'd 20+ times between the two .

And he was battered in that fight lol

Hunt tagged him repeatedly with left hook before he gassed, almost at will.

JDS dropped him with the left hook and jabbed his head and body up the whole fight, Reem dropped him with a straight left with minimal set up.

He walks upright with little headmovement, cant cut off the cage, can maneuver when someone cuts the cage on him.

Werdums sloppy bum rush that he gets criticized for tagged Stipe up repeatedly.

He gets by on cardio, chin, and punching power. And favorable match ups.
Exactly! I've said it many times before - Stipe gets hit too much and he will lose the belt soon because of it. He is good, but he is very flawed and I don't believe that he is the world beater that many make him out to be.

Ngannou now has a BJJ black belt and the cardio of a worldclass triathlete.

Houston Alexander was once a beast

U think Ngannou is Houston Alexander? Lmfao Alexander didn't even go 3-0 UFC . Ngannou is 6-0 about to be champ next month what r u gonna do then? Lmfaooooooooooooo

And he was battered in that fight lol

Hunt tagged him repeatedly with left hook before he gassed, almost at will.

JDS dropped him with the left hook and jabbed his head and body up the whole fight, Reem dropped him with a straight left with minimal set up.

He walks upright with little headmovement, cant cut off the cage, can maneuver when someone cuts the cage on him.

Werdums sloppy bum rush that he gets criticized for tagged Stipe up repeatedly.

He gets by on cardio, chin, and punching power. And favorable match ups.

You're remembering these fights very poorly. Hunt landed like one or two good hooks in the first few minutes of the fight, then a good one at the end of the second round. Every time he tried the hook, Stipe was drilling him and beating him to the punch with a straight right that wrecked Hunt's face throughout the fight. Hunt was missing nearly everything.

JDS only had some success in the later rounds, mostly the 5th round, when Stipe was clearly tired. Even then, Stipe was still easily winning other rounds, with the decision being pretty wonky where 3 judges gave JDS a ridiculous 49-46. It was after this fight, though, that Stpe seriously stepped up his game and worked on his striking. We saw how the rematch went.

You say Reem didn't set up his punch, but I saw totally different. Reem was playing possum, doing the Econoreem thing where he kinda runs away. He got Stipe momentarily flustered when he circled/ran to the center of the cage for like the 3rd tme and tricked him by planting and throwing right as Stipe was about to strike. Even then, it was more of an off-balance thing, as it looked like he was throwing a kick and Overeem hit him on the off-balance side.

Werdum's sloppy bum rush did not even touch Stipe except for the punch he glanced off the side of Stipe's cheek as Stipe's knockout punch landed:

The thing is, Stipe knows he's one of the more naturally sized Heayweights, in the sense that he doesn't bulk up and get ridiculously jacked or fat to gain a weight advantage. He's comfortable floating naturally heavy around 245ish and has realized that, with his strength and size, he doesn't need to throw these giant haymakers to knock someone out. His last 5 knockouts weren't big haymaker punches from either a standing or ground and pound position, but technical strikes he landed clean by not putting too much into it, and that's a huge advantage against people who load up their punches and either a) miss or b) gas them out when the opponent dodges them. No giant windups leaving him open, nothing. Have a look (see above for Werdum):

miocic-power-shots-close-range-arlovski-ko-2.gif

Alistair-Overeem-gets-FINISHED-by-GNP-vs-Stipe-Miocic-R1-_zpsazdhnjmw.gif

Last edited:
That is why Cain has to fight him. I cannot see anyone else lasting more than a round with the current Ngannou.

Oh yeah that's right, that was a year after Stipe got knocked out by Stephen Struve. I guess that makes this fight even more of a mystery as to what will happen.

That doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.

You're remembering these fights very poorly. Hunt landed like one or two good hooks in the first few minutes of the fight, then a good one at the end of the second round. Every time he tried the hook, Stipe was drilling him and beating him to the punch with a straight right that wrecked Hunt's face throughout the fight. Hunt was missing nearly everything.

JDS only had some success in the later rounds, mostly the 5th round, when Stipe was clearly tired. Even then, Stipe was still easily winning other rounds, with the decision being pretty wonky where 3 judges gave JDS a ridiculous 49-46. It was after this fight, though, that Stpe seriously stepped up his game and worked on his striking. We saw how the rematch went.

You say Reem didn't set up his punch, but I saw totally different. Reem was playing possum, doing the Econoreem thing where he kinda runs away. He got Stipe momentarily flustered when he circled/ran to the center of the cage for like the 3rd tme and tricked him by planting and throwing right as Stipe was about to strike. Even then, it was more of an off-balance thing, as it looked like he was throwing a kick and Overeem hit him on the off-balance side.

Werdum's sloppy bum rush did not even touch Stipe except for the punch he glanced off the side of Stipe's cheek as Stipe's knockout punch landed:

The thing is, Stipe knows he's one of the more naturally sized Heayweights, in the sense that he doesn't bulk up and get ridiculously jacked or fat to gain a weight advantage. He's comfortable floating naturally heavy around 245ish and has realized that, with his strength and size, he doesn't need to throw these giant haymakers to knock someone out. His last 5 knockouts weren't big haymaker punches from either a standing or ground and pound position, but technical strikes he landed clean by not putting too much into it, and that's a huge advantage against people who load up their punches and either a) miss or b) gas them out when the opponent dodges them. No giant windups leaving him open, nothing. Have a look (see above for Werdum):

miocic-power-shots-close-range-arlovski-ko-2.gif

Alistair-Overeem-gets-FINISHED-by-GNP-vs-Stipe-Miocic-R1-_zpsazdhnjmw.gif

Mostly in the 5th round? He did the most damage in the 4th where he dropped him. I think it's you who doesn't remember his fights. Why was Stipe tired in the later rounds? Because he was eating body shots all night because he walks right into punches. It was a clear 49-46 that's why 2 judges gave him that score. The rematch? With the shell of JDS? Yes I remember that battle worn JDS also outworking and landing on Stipe well before he ate a big right hand.

When did I say Reem didn't set up his left hand? Was it somewhere around the first time I said it was a minimal set up? Or was it around the second time where I broke his basic set up down? Where did I say there was no set up? And no, it wasn' him getting off balance, that is ridiculous, he got rocked running into a powerful punch.

And there were several punches that landed in both of those sloppy bum rushes from Werdum. There wasn't just one rush.

Yes, Stipe doesn't need to load up on his punches. What does that have to do with what I said?

Stipe has glaring holes, his most notable holes are he can't cut the cage and is very hittable. It's in majority of his fights. Francis might not be the guy, but one of or both of those glaring holes is going to be his downfall in 3 or less fights I can guarantee it. The more he wins, the sloppier he is becoming and the more he is willing to get tagged or outworked.

So yeah I rewatched the fight...I didn't see this massive gassing TS is talking about.

I don't think it's easier to train than anything else. Everyone has their own size gas tank, and all the training in the world won't change that.

From the looks of things, PillowFists McGregory trains as hard as any other MMA fighter, yet his stamina is shit - he routinely gasses in about 8 minutes.

Of course it can be improved, but everyone has their ceiling. Especially bigger, more musclebound guys tend to gas more easily for obvious reasons.

I agree with you though about being in the US, as if that's going to make a difference, is his gas tank going to magically improve from the good ol' 'Murican air? :D

Actually yes. Americans, myself included, adapt and build up stronger lungs in order to breathe despite all the pollution. This then leads to better cardio. That's also why we always win the most Olympic medals. #themoreyouknow

So yeah I rewatched the fight...I didn't see this massive gassing TS is talking about.

He's referring to Francis putting his hands on his hips and breathing after finishing the 1st round. Breathing = gassing.

New MMA fans are dumb

Yeah, he knocked out AA and Reem

Those are good wins, even in 2017

But these guys have been knocked out cold dozens of times in the last 5 years. Honestly neither AA or Reem should even be allowed to fight. They have zero ability to take a shot anymore.

His power is going to be way less impressive when he fights someone who hasent been knocked out cold 20 times.

I think Derrick Lewis would crush him.

Fighters can improve their cardio you know. And Ngannou now trains in the US.

Can they though? I've seen fighters improve their standup, wrestling ground game etc. but it seems like fighters either have a gas tank or they don't.

That said there are fighters who with experience learn how to control the pace of the fight to preserve their gas tank (GSP in the final round with bisping where he used the takedown and top control to get his wind back).

You would think top level fighters would address cardio issues and yet fighters like Aldo and McGregor continue to be plagued by crappy cardio.

Blaydes is underrated his only loss is to Ngannou and that was by doctor stoppage

From a business it makes more money in putting your chips on one slot. They tested Francis pretty well. Slowly and steady after they realized what they had with the Curtis win. I think they actually made a good choice obviously going behind Francis. Blades and Francis might meet eventually but Francis made statements where Blades won fights.

Maybe they are waiting, but right now it seems like there is only one fighter to get excited about. Blaydes is plenty exciting for them to start trailing some bread crumbs in their media.

Back