Ngannou Awful Ground Game

fight4ippon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
First off,

I usually love watching Ngannou fight, and I have love for his all or nothing style. Especially when he is on his feet as we all do.

I can't get over how terrible his ground game was when he became exposed. Rd one he fucking gave that side control to Stipe off a takedown that was well executed but did not look fast or well disguised.

People say NG will be champ. He is dangerous enough to do it, but he will get picked apart by better wrastlers that survive the initial (very lethatl) 1st rd attempts.

You need more skills than planting yourself in the canvas and swinging hard. Those days were exciting and fun but they are gone, folks.

I'd say no ground game would be more accurate. He has a basic idea of how to get back to his feet (and the power to pull it off while he's fresh) and that's it.

He actually showed a better scrambling game against a more highly accomplished collegiate wrestling champion, Curtis Blaydes.

He got taken down in that fight, but was able to scramble back up to his feet without much prob.

He needs to get back to training his counter-wrestling, which it looks like he totally ignored for this fight, which was idiotic.

Honestly I was surprised at how fast he gassed in the fight. Showed little discipline.

Honestly I was surprised at how fast he gassed in the fight. Showed little discipline.
THIS! you are in a goddam championship fight! Everyone has their forte but you should be more well versed defensively at least.

I thought he was the "New Breed."

Looked like Gary Goodridge to me.

Nah, Goodridge still tried to hammer mo-foz on the ground

Goodridge-Herrera.gif~c200

imagine what Cain or DC would do to him

I thought he was the "New Breed."

Looked like Gary Goodridge to me.

Exactly.

He looked like one of these Big Black dudes that came along in the noughties with zero ground game.

to be honest i think Francis is surrounded by yes men (Like Arlovski and Shogun were in the past) telling him he's unbeatable, no need to train cardio, take 2 weeks off and go to France etc.

That dude in his corner with the dreads looks like a right twat.

Hopefully now that Frannie has moved to Ameirca he'll join AKA or JW

Looked like a fighter from UFC 6. Imagine what Mark Coleman would have done to this bum with no time limits lmao

Ngannou would win like Pete Williams and Maurice Smith did.

Stipe could not finish ngannou after 5 Coleman would not either.

As exhausted as he was Colman was dead in the water towards the end of the Williams fight.

He actually showed a better scrambling game against a more highly accomplished collegiate wrestling champion, Curtis Blaydes.

He got taken down in that fight, but was able to scramble back up to his feet without much prob.

He needs to get back to training his counter-wrestling, which it looks like he totally ignored for this fight, which was idiotic.

I'd say the issue was that whilst he isn't totally clueless grappling wise what skill he does have depends on power, when he gassed and lost the power he had no other technique to fall back on.

I tend to think the biggest issue in this fight was actually that Ngannou's striking was exposed, a good case to be made that he simply got a bit lucky catching Reem and Arlovski that quickly as he looked sloppy as hell here which is really what gassed him out.

Yeah his ground game is terrible, he relies on pure strength similar to Derrick Lewis. They give up there backs to stand up and most heavyweights are not that great at jumping on the back as the smaller guys so they get away with it.

Exactly.

He looked like one of these Big Black dudes that came along in the noughties with zero ground game.

to be honest i think Francis is surrounded by yes men (Like Arlovski and Shogun were in the past) telling him he's unbeatable, no need to train cardio, take 2 weeks off and go to France etc.

That dude in his corner with the dreads looks like a right twat.

Hopefully now that Frannie has moved to Ameirca he'll join AKA or JW

A bit harsh on SHogun, I think the ACL injuries are what did for his cardio, if yes men were a problem it was because nobody told him he shouldn't have fought Forrest 1, Coleman 2 or Jones in that condition.

I'd say the issue was that whilst he isn't totally clueless grappling wise what skill he does have depends on power, when he gassed and lost the power he had no other technique to fall back on.

I tend to think the biggest issue in this fight was actually that Ngannou's striking was exposed, a good case to be made that he simply got a bit lucky catching Reem and Arlovski that quickly as he looked sloppy as hell here which is really what gassed him out.

totally agree on the grappling part of what you said. As for the striking, I think the reason he looked sloppier is at least partly because stipe has pretty good footwork. Especially compared to other heavyweights. Also, stipe did get cracked by at least one good ngannou shot. He seems to just have a much better chin than reem/arlovski. That uppercut might've put them out

edit: just a side note that I thought was funny: After one of ngannou's flurries in the first stipe made this face like he was so pissed off. It looked like he was thinking "I gotta fucking deal with this shit to get this win...ffs!" lol

Actually Shertards tend to underestimate Ngannou's ground game.. he's a wizard on the mat, it's just hard to apply techniques when you're 275lbs at 4% bodyfat.

Source: Dana White

Ngannou would have got dominated by Jared Rosholt. Dana and athletic ripped loving fans need to accept that. Rosholt 30-27 without question in my mind

Back