NFL Combine Bench Press--Yea or Nay?

But how many plays in an entire game?
Yeah but there's a significant break in between. It's not a horrible way to measure strength, but upping the weight would probably be a more realistic test.

In my view this process is a very imperfect way to measure upper body strength. Even if we do use bench press as the test, the idea of it being done for max reps is ridiculous. Most athletes at this level are doing reps in the endurance range, even smaller players. Granted there are exceptions. Most NFL plays last mere seconds. It is albeit like asking whether measuring 1 mile times is a good gauge of on the field performance. Even if there will be RBs who could do 4:30 miles, how does that translate to the game of NFL? In soccer that would make sense, but not in NFL. If the NFL changes it to be 1-3 RM that would make sense, especially at the lineman/guard positions. The other nice aspect about using heavier weights, it will at least partially clean up the terrible form.

I'd like to see the frequency of a guy benching 20 reps out 1rm a guy who benches 30 reps.

Seriously, you complete more reps you're stronger, at least to within a few reps. 225 is a weight every position can lift. It tests strength and gives enough feedback to have a good idea of about how strong a guy is.

It's not that fucking complicated.

Wouldn't something like a five rep max make more sense? Or an overall max?

I dunno...225 is really light weight for some of the big boys.
There'd probably be guys blowing out their knees/backs every combine, if they were testing 1rm's in squat/DL. I think one of the reasons they choose the 225 bench(other than just convention), is it is relatively low-risk for injury. That, and someone who can 225 for 30+ reps, shit form or not, is most likely a strong SOB. A happy middle ground may be something like adding a 315 squat and bw pull-ups tests.

Some kid named Griffin from UCF just did like 40+ reps but only has one real hand. The other prosthetic.

It's a weird fucking test. There's basically nothing in US football that require a test of upper-body muscular endurance. They could use a Tendo unit and measure max velocity at a given weight instead.

Blocking and block shedding. It is their version of hand fighting/grip fighting. It is afterall team wrestling

I don't see the point in doing Bench Press.

Don't you use your whole body tackling or pushing someone out of the way to get the ball down the field?

Woudn't it make more sense to measure what you can push while standing, using your entire body, rather than on the flat of your back with just your arms and chest?

It'd make more sense.

I dont know but there exists two Griffins. They are brothers. One is missing a hand.
The one with the prosthetic did 20 reps, I'm pretty sure of that.

He also ran a 4.38, he's around 6'1 with long dreadlocks that have highlights in them.

The one with the prosthetic did 20 reps, I'm pretty sure of that.

He also ran a 4.38, he's around 6'1 with long dreadlocks that have highlights in them.

Hmmm, you say he is a LB. 4.38 is pretty darn fast for a LB.

Bench press is simply not a functional exercise.

How many sports will an athlete:

- Be lying down on their back, stationary.
- Pushing a 225lbs object/person off of them, directly above them.

???

I remember a few years ago, Cole Konrad had a tryout with the NY Jets.

Coaches commented that his bench press was not to their liking.

However, Brock Lesnar has stated that Konrad is the strongest guy he has ever wrestled with.

Last edited:
Bench press is simply not a functional exercise.

How many sports will an athlete:

- Be lying down on their back, stationary.
- Pushing a 225lbs object/person off of them, directly above them.

???

I remember a few years ago, Cole Konrad had a tryout with the NY Jets.

Coaches commented that his bench press was not to their liking.

However, Brock Lesnar has stated that Konrad is the strongest guy he has ever wrestled with.

functional or not is just a silly comparison.
same could be said about any other lift.
in which sport do you have to put weight on your back and squat with it?
in which sport do you have to grip a nice balanced weight on the floor and stand up with it?
in which sport do you hang from a pull up bar?

etc. etc.

Back