Next generation wallets suck

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
My wallet's wearing out, but rather than just buy the same old thing again, I was kind of hoping there's a new innovative wallet out there that I could try.

I've looked at a few and none of them seem to be all that superior to a regular old wallet.

1. There's one wallet that has a bluetooth chip so you get an alert when it gets too far from your phone. I think the alert would get annoying. There are lots of times where you might intentionally take your phone and not your wallet, or vice versa, like going for a jog and taking your phone to listen to music but leaving the wallet behind.
71GMVfmBpML._UX385_.jpg

2. There's a bunch of wallets that look sleek and small, but they're basically limiting you to carrying only 3 or 4 cards and a tiny amount of cash.
DM1_8-Blue_Flat_06e1dc72-8a65-4fae-988c-c68337f1aec8_1024x1024.jpeg

3. There are wallets that double as phone cases, which is annoying for people who don't want to have to flip open their phone every time they look at it. In addition, they have the same problem as the previous item. Only holds a small number of cards.
iphone-6-wallet-front-1_5.jpg

4. There's a wallet with a combination lock on it, so if you lose it, nobody can get your credit cards out. But can you imagine putting in a combo every time you use your wallet? How annoying.
ogon_minisafe.jpg

5. There's a wallet with all kinds of hidden knives and bottle openers and stuff in it. Like a swiss army knife. Sounds cool until you try to get into a concert or airport and can't take your wallet in.

Is there any clever company out there that can make an innovative wallet? Or am I stuck using the same kind of wallet my great grandfather used?

Real men don't use wallets. Use the pockets on your pants.

I’m still using the same leather Timberland wallet my girlfriend bought me when I was 15. I’m 31 now. It’s still like brand new. I can’t believe it

Honest answer, carry less stuff on your wallet. Buy a letter business card holder, and use it as a wallet. Fold bills of necessary.

Use more cards and less cash, as any civilized person would

Old school leather for life. There are no faults in it other than fair wear and tear, and all this new tech has created problems that don't exist. It ain't broke, so don't fix it.

royce-prima-nappa-leather-magnetic-money-clip-wallet-d-2015112418465799~466299.jpg

You can carry a good amount cash with these and probably 6 cards

This is that minimalist type shit

I like it and if I needed a wallet I'd get one

Last edited:
I could probably cut down on the number of cards I carry if there was an app that I could use to take photos of all my cards, like a virtual wallet.

I could just use my camera app, but then when I need, say, my AAA card, I'd need to scroll through all of my photos to find it. Would be more convenient if I just had a "wallet" app where I could keep that stuff.

It probably exists and I just need to find it. Then all I'd need to carry is a debit card, a credit card, driver's license, and my company credit card.

I got a regular ol' leather wallet from some Amish belt maker when I was out in Lancaster like five or six years ago and that shit is like brand new still.

I also bought a gun belt from him, best belt I've ever purchased. Shit is like quarter of an inch think heavy duty leather. Of course, it was like $80.

Still rocking a 5 dollar Hot Topic wallet I bought back in 2001. If you arent getting 20+ years out of a wallet, you're wasting your money.

Dude, just buy a normal wallet lmao

I agree, but there are ways around it. Like, don't most card have a digital alternative so you don't actually need the card with you at all times? Are you carrying your Blockbuster card or something? Learn which of the cards you are carrying have apps or websites or i-passport or any other digital option. Memorize or take photos of the ones that don't have that option, like a snap of the gym membership bar code, stuff like that.

Carry 1 credit card, 1 debit card and driver's license. That'3 cards.
For cash I carry a large bill, a medium bill and a 2-3 singles. That's 4-5 bills in total and I doubt you'll need anything else for the day, unless you're going to a strip club or something.

If you do that, you'll be able to carry everything in one of those slim cases that you listed above.
I think you should do that regardless. Size down, throw shit away.

Get with the times bra.

2 money clips one with petty cash the other with cards. Scaled to need. For example. Evening hopping dive bars cash, 1 card, ID. Life is good.

I got a new wallet from the gf for Christmas. It's a leather Timberland. The bi-fold is a must with American currency. I don't know why people use the tri folds that bend both ends of the bills. Shits annoying to deal with

Last edited:
I just go with the "classic" model. I have friends that use money clips and other things, but knowing myself I'd lose that.

I agree, but there are ways around it. Like, don't most card have a digital alternative so you don't actually need the card with you at all times? Are you carrying your Blockbuster card or something? Learn which of the cards you are carrying have apps or websites or i-passport or any other digital option. Memorize or take photos of the ones that don't have that option, like a snap of the gym membership bar code, stuff like that.

Carry 1 credit card, 1 debit card and driver's license. That'3 cards.
For cash I carry a large bill, a medium bill and a 2-3 singles. That's 4-5 bills in total and I doubt you'll need anything else for the day, unless you're going to a strip club or something.

If you do that, you'll be able to carry everything in one of those slim cases that you listed above.
I think you should do that regardless. Size down, throw shit away.

Get with the times bra.
Agreed. In many countries you can use apps to scan and pay instantly. TS still carrying his library card around!

Agreed. In many countries you can use apps to scan and pay instantly. TS still carrying his library card around!
This is what I carry:

Drivers license
Debit card
4 personal credit cards
1 prepaid PayPal card
AAA card
Medical insurance card
Proof of car insurance
Proof of motorcycle insurance
Cypher decoder card I need for work
Security card I need for work
Company credit card
Costco card
Vons card
Subway gift card (I should just throw this away)
A minimal amount of paper cash
A bunch of receipts I need to save for work

Yup I could certainly consolidate some of that. Especially the credit cards. I don't need to carry so many.

Back