Next division to go and next to be added

Every single one of those opinions are absolutely detestable wow.

like I don't even know where to start. the Lowers woman's weight classes are MUCH MUCH better. the 2 worst ones are bantamweight and Feather weight. Strawweight is easily the best Womans division and is one of the most competitive division in all of the UFC.

God, The 135 pound division is amazing right now. That division has never had a bad title fight. So many Classic title fights have gone down in that division it's crazy. the worst title fight that division ever had was cruz vs Faber 3 and it wasn't a bad fight by anymeans.

165 is probably the best thing that could happen to the UFC right now. Less weight cutting is better.
Sure, we disagree about lower weightclasses and wmma, but how on earth does 165 cause less weightcutting?

Nah, you're dumb. I can't believe there's still people against it. You must not follow UFC close enough to understand how fucked up the situation is.
I probably don't follow the UFC close enough. Please enlighten me.

turn 170 into 2 divisions: 165 and 175.

then add female 105.

and then turn 205 into 195 and 210.

Sure, we disagree with wmma, but how on earth does 165 cause less weightcutting?
The gap between LW and WW is large. now I don't have a statistic to back this up, but I can be almost certain that LW is the division that has the most failed weightcuts because if you naturally walk around at 176~ pounds there is no way you're going to fight in WW. It'd be plain silly. So you have to cut to LW. LW fighters cut the most by far. which is why you see so many of them moving up to WW undersize because the weight cut kills them (benson, Cerrone, RDA, Lee) of course, the assumption is that If you're creating a 165 pound division the weight limit to welterweight is to be increased by 5 pounds. This probably means guys like till and Gastelum will make WW easier, some of the WW's with an easier cut can move to 165 because the prospect of fighting at 155 may have been impossible. Those 2 divisions are the most crowded divisions in the ufc as well, So they could afford to have a relief between them. Not only that, but we wouldn't have a division like lw were fighters are cutting 20+ pounds any more. they simply would not have to. of course they could, If they choose but that their tough shit. you should listen to what fighters say more. Lots of fighters want this.

turn 170 into 2 divisions: 165 and 175.

then add female 105.

and then turn 205 into 195 and 210.
I understand where this idea comes from it comes from the same place that thinks that splitting WW is a good idea. And it is in theory. but in practice, the 205 pound division is just too thin to do that in.

The gap between LW and WW is large. now I don't have a statistic to back this up, but I can be almost certain that LW is the division that has the most failed weightcuts because if you naturally walk around at 176~ pounds there is no way you're going to fight in WW. It'd be plain silly. So you have to cut to LW. LW fighters cut the most by far. which is why you see so many of them moving up to WW undersize because the weight cut kills them (benson, Cerrone) of course, the assumption is that If you're creating a 165 pound division the weight limit to welterweight is to be increased by 5 pounds. This probably means guys like till and Gastelum will make WW easier, some of the WW's with an easier cut can move to 165 because the prospect of fighting at 155 may have been impossible. Those 2 divisions are the most crowded divisions in the ufc as well, So they could afford to have a relief between them. Not only that, but we wouldn't have a division like lw were fighters are cutting 20+ pounds any more. they simply would not have to.
So then you would also need a 175 division, or else the gap to 185 is too big?

Guys will always cut weight unless they change the weightcutting rules. I don't know much of weightcutting in mma, but I know a lot about weightcutting in amateur junior boxing and kickboxing. We had same day weigh ins, and a 12-15 lb cut was a "comfortable" cut, even for a guy making 62 kilos. If they changed the weightclass, we would have just put on a little more weight to be as big as possible. This will change nothing. Hydration tests and two weigh ins will!! It is some idea made up of some fighter that wants a new weightclass to get an easier titleshot, or someone that knows nothing of cutting in combat sports.

So then you would also need a 175 division, or else the gap to 185 is too big?

Guys will always cut weight unless they change the weightcutting rules. I don't know much of weightcutting in mma, but I know a lot about weightcutting in amateur junior boxing and kickboxing. We had same day weigh ins, and a 12-15 lb cut was a "comfortable" cut, even for a guy making 62 kilos. If they changed the weightclass, we would have just put on a little more weight to be as big as possible. This will change nothing. Hydration tests and two weigh ins will!! It is some idea made up of some fighter that wants a new weightclass to get an easier titleshot, or someone that knows nothing of cutting in combat sports.
The assumption is that WW moves from 170 to 175. you're still missing the part where fighters who Weight between 170-180 pounds have no division to fight in comfortably. because keep in mind, 12-15 pounds may be comfortable, but 22-30 pounds isn't and that's what a lot of LW fighters do.

Maybe so. I apologize in advance, if you aren't just trolling read this please. It's a few months old but still makes sense.
Nice work, but it still didn't make sense to me why this makesanything safer? The only reason to do it is if we want more champions. I don't.

I will copy/paste my reply to the other guy:

The assumption is that WW moves from 170 to 175. you're still missing the part where fighters who Weight between 170-180 pounds have no division to fight in comfortably. because keep in mind, 12-15 pounds may be comfortable, but 22-30 pounds isn't and that's what a lot of LW fighters do.
They will just add extra mass to fit in somewhere. That is the way it has always worked, and will always work. Guys try to be as big as possible, and will cut as much weigt as possible. Everyone that did weightcutting knows this.

Whittaker is not a small mw. He just put on more mass when he made the transition.

They will just add extra mass to fit in somewhere. That is the way it has always worked, and will always work. Guys try to be as big as possible, and will cut as much weigt as possible. Everyone that did weightcutting knows this.

Whittaker is not a small mw. He just put on more mass when he made the transition.
I don't think you understand that fighters dont WANT to cut 25-30 pounds they feel forced to do so in order to compete. What youre saying implies is that they would put on 5 more pounds and STILL cut 25-30 pounds anyway, which some might do but it WILL effect your performance. Short of changing weigh in rules, there is no way around this.

They just got rid of 125 unfortunately. Some really great fights not to mention the GOAT of MMA fought in that division.

So what division is next on the chopping block and what division(s) are they looking to add?

I think they should get rid of WMMA 145 and replace it with WMMA Atomweight (aka sexy weight). They should also add the 165lb division and force peahead to fight Nate.

aatomweight over wmma 145 since after is loses it will end as she walks to tor.

all this 165 pounds fake news stop

You can't replace a division that hosts 2-3 fights by year (W145) by a new division that would require 10-15 (W105), it comes down to card space.
With men's 125 being removed, there will be card space to men's 165, but this false equivalent of W145 > W105 is one of the most stupid things i have ever read on sherdog and i see it often enough to wonder if North American schools really have math on your grades.
{<hhh]

165 talk is fake news.,

I know 170 lb is iconic but it makes more sense to have a 165 and 175 added. They don't have to do the rest just yet. I like cyborg but 145 division is sort of dead. It's just the cyborg beatdown show. I prefer a 105 women's division. Those little girls knock each other out for some weird reason. Some of the fights I seen were violent albeit on the amateur level.

the 165 and 175 talk is all fake news,

Nah, you're dumb. I can't believe there's still people against it. You must not follow UFC close enough to understand how fucked up the situation is.

165 talk is fake news. just cause kevin lee cant make 155 any more doesn't mean he cant fight at 170 just fine.

the 165 and 175 talk is all fake news,
It sets up talks for the future. All it takes is a UFC fighter to die cutting weight and I am sure there will be a media shit show and Dana gets called into congress.

It doesn't make logical sense because it would be 10 lbs higher than 155 and only 5 less than 170. The gap between weight classes is supposed to increase as weight classes get bigger not the opposite. Some fighters like the idea because it seems more convenient for them but in the big scheme of things it doesn't make a lot of sense

I think they should get rid of WMMA 145 and replace it with WMMA Atomweight (aka sexy weight).

Great idea. Get rid of the only woman that can draw and does better numbers than DC, Whittaker, Holloway, or Woodley.

At this rate they'll probably get rid of bantamweight and add two more useless female divisions with less than three solid fighters between them

It doesn't make logical sense because it would be 10 lbs higher than 155 and only 5 less than 170. The gap between weight classes is supposed to increase as weight classes get bigger not the opposite. Some fighters like the idea because it seems more convenient for them but in the big scheme of things it doesn't make a lot of sense
The idea is to push welterweight up to 175. That should go without saying.

Back