1. New Sherdog Meme Generator! Check is out Here Use it to win a free platinum accountHere
    Dismiss Notice

Newest research hints that first life may have been designed | Page 4

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by ScriptReadsMe, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Turtlejuice RIP Banchan

Turtlejuice
    Was a reply to your comment about a species not being able to survive by "floating aimlessly", not the comment on photosynthesis. There are species of plant that have evolved to survive via their seed "floating aimlessly". Their seed have even evolved for more efficient floating thus able to travel further in order to increase chances of survival. They were specifically able to survive because of their ability to float aimlessly.

2. Spoken Silver Belt

Spoken
    I am neither a logician or a scientist of any sort, but these questions seem to be answerable by the internal logic of science. Now, that said, I do believe in a creator and find zero competition between certain religious paradigms and the methods of science. But I think that the question of a creator, while science is an important theme, lies in philosophy.
    I can't help but feel that the assertion that the 'why' implies a creator could easily be countered with a narrative similar to Camus, which really means that the interpretation any sort of 'why' could lead one to a strong theory about God, or an absolute feeling of meaninglessness. In the end, looking at these kind of articles in relation to God take us to two distinct fundamental assumptions: the cultivated intuition that there might be meaning OR the cultivated intuition that there isn't. There may well be a 3rd: absolute stupidity and no concern whatesoever.

Der Eisbar likes this.
  3. blaseblah Black Belt

blaseblah
    Because it's all arbitrary.

If there were a separate universe where the laws of physics worked completely differently, the version of you over there would be asking why the universe works the way it does over there. It's about as relevant as asking why the sky is blue instead of red.

HunterAcosta likes this.
  4. TeTe What a time to be alive!!!

TeTe
    Let's hear from the intelligence by design crowd... you know, the God engineered evolution people.

HunterAcosta likes this.
  5. ScriptReadsMe Blue Belt

ScriptReadsMe
    While it's true that most plant cells do not have cilia, land plants are a recent apparition compared to the first eukaryotes.

[​IMG]

First aquatic plants had cilia (ex. dinoflagellates) to move around in liquid. You have to consider that the first living organisms arose in oceans and as such needed some way to move around in water. It's not the same thing as living on land.

6. Codger Brown Belt

Codger
    A 2007 paper that doesn't even mention design.

So not the "newest research" and it doesn't "hint at design"

Gotta love the intellectual honesty of creationists.

A more accurate title: "All peer reviewed evolution papers in prestigious journals point to no design"

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Cid, ShinkanPo, Dogstarman and 4 others like this.
  7. Der Eisbar Furry funk master

Der Eisbar
    I believe this is a gross oversimplification but you're going to see things how you're going to see things.

8. blaseblah Black Belt

blaseblah
    You say that because you assume the universe is special and couldn't work any other way. You look at the way things works and believe it is completely organized and the best way things could be. You lack perspective.

9. Der Eisbar Furry funk master

Der Eisbar
    I never said any of that. I never said it couldn't work any other way. Quite the opposite. I said WHY is it this way instead of any other way. Why are there physical laws in the universe? Why not no laws at all? Why does matter organize itself? Why does biological life progress towards higher and higher complexity? I wouldn't find a working watch on the ground and assume it must have created itself and the ticking of the hands is just the way it is. I could deduce from observing the watch that it was created by someone else and it is operating according to the function designed by the creator of that watch.

ScriptReadsMe likes this.
  10. blaseblah Black Belt

blaseblah
    These are arbitrary questions that you aren't even asking properly. Laws are created by us, not the universe. If there were no laws the universe would go on as it did before we came up with them.

What you meant to ask was, what If the natural phenomena we observe couldn't be described by our existing laws? If that were the case we would come up with new ones. Like we have been doing. It's a pointless question.

11. Der Eisbar Furry funk master

Der Eisbar
    No, that's not what I meant to ask. And the fact that you think that's what I meant to ask tells me you're not at all even understanding what I'm saying.

12. BJ@LW&WW Gold Belt

BJ@LW&WW
    "
    Newest research hints that first life may have been designed"

how the fuck did you get that, from that article? did you even read it?

13. faustian THE LOOSE CANNON

faustian
    fwiw when I responded to you I completely overlooked the actual thread title lol. So when I said you and @Overpressure were the only ones making that leap, I was wrong

Jack Reacheround likes this.
  14. rj144 Brown Belt

rj144
    Haha. 2007... wow.

15. Amerikuracana Steel Belt

Amerikuracana
    Yeah but that's not science. Sounds nice though.

Satanical Eve and Dogstarman like this.
  16. ScriptReadsMe Blue Belt

ScriptReadsMe
    Some of you have an obsession with God. I seldom use this word but in this case, you have god damn comprehension problems and little intuition.

1. No one has the faintest idea how motile organelles appeared in primitive life forms, no one.
    2. We are capable today of manipulating things which resemble primitive life forms (e coli is getting modified left and right in labs around the world to give it additional functions)
    3. Considering the previous points and the fact it took humans a few millenia to reach this stage of development, it's mind boggling that you find it unacceptable that in the grand scale of the universe, you believe we are that special. A hundred years ago we believed in ghosts and now we are playing with DNA, what is a 100 years when the universe is said to be 14.7 billion years old. You are full of yourselves lol

Dogstarman likes this.
  17. ripskater Steel Belt

ripskater
    It's a theory, just like evolution. Neither can be proven. But I believe in this one I posted.

18. ScriptReadsMe Blue Belt

ScriptReadsMe
    You and your buddies keep mentioning God/creationism but I swear my friend who is creating new strains of e coli is not a supernatural being, she's a female student aged 25 lol and just graduated in biochem.

2007 is relatively new. It's not like this kind of research takes 24 hours to publish, it requires years of study, observation, collecting information, etc. stfu

19. rj144 Brown Belt

rj144
    Dude 2007 is ancient in scientific research. We confirmed the Higgs particle and detected gravitational waves in the last 10 years.

From 1905 to 1915 we developed quantum mechanics and fleshed out relativity.

What are you talking about?

20. ScriptReadsMe Blue Belt

ScriptReadsMe
    It's still new in the field. Just because it wasn't published yesterday morning, it's still the latest remarkable finding as far as origins of motile organelles are concerned. You can prove me wrong by posting a more recent research on the subject. Maybe I shoud've used the terms 'most recent'