Newbie Kinesthetic learner

RelentlessT

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi. I have been actively practicing for about 6 mos on and off. Life things.
I have a problem.
I think too much.

I'm a kinesthetic learner, for those who are aware of the types of teaching methods.
I have to do something to really understand it.
I get confused just being shown it unless it's an easy maneuver.
But, once I get the motion down, it clicks very quickly and my body remembers it well.

I feel like an asshole going into the gym having to be explained things and slowing the pace down.

Any tips?

How are you slowing down the pace. If I were you I would watch the drill. Think about it and go try it. I would imagine your instructor goes around and watches. Why would you ask questions until you have felt the move so you then know what the questions are. Don't stop the instructor showing the move to the class when you just said you don't learn by being told. Also maybe let your partner go first so they get reps in and then they can help you through it.

Also the moves shouldn't be that difficult in the first 6 months. Hopefully you drill the basics all the time so your body gets used to that.

How are you slowing down the pace. If I were you I would watch the drill. Think about it and go try it. I would imagine your instructor goes around and watches. Why would you ask questions until you have felt the move so you then know what the questions are. Don't stop the instructor showing the move to the class when you just said you don't learn by being told. Also maybe let your partner go first so they get reps in and then they can help you through it.

Also the moves shouldn't be that difficult in the first 6 months. Hopefully you drill the basics all the time so your body gets used to that.

I am learning advanced techniques and go to the same class the pros do. I am speaking of no gi jj.
I am slowing the pace down in that when it is time for me to practice it I lose the knowledge in translation and can't correlate what I see to my body.
So, my partner must often help to explain things and I don't get a lot of practice because of my difficulty. I think I take away from others slightly, but they say it's no big deal.

Last edited:
If you're a beginner, maybe you should start with the beginner classes instead of jumping into the deep end of the advanced/pro classes ? Honestly I'm surprised they would let you in, which I don't mean as an insult so much as most gyms have barriers to entry into advanced/pro classes, such as "you must be advanced" or "you must be a pro" to attend them.

Almost all advanced techniques are adaptions, or modifications, or extensions of fundamental techniques, which is one of the reasons why the fundamentals are so important. If you're getting shown rolling to the truck and attacking calf slicers and twisters when you don't even know how to do a proper seat belt or how to maintain your hooks in back control, then yes, you are wasting everyone's time.

Go to the beginner/fundamentals classes.

If you're a slow learner, you could pay for private lessons and specifically ask to go over the moves he is planning to teach during the next week.

Don't pigeonhole yourself as being a purely kinasthetic learner. It may be the style you are most comfortable with but it is likely you will gain some benefit from listening and watching aa well, if you're open minded.

Your problem is not that you are a kinetic learner, your problem is that you are a beginner in a advance class, you have no place there, unless the class is really basic. Switch gyms get privates or try to find a a class mate who just got started, the instructor may partition class into begginers and advance... At least that's what I do...

Find another newb or keen person. Pick one technique each week and spend 30 mins after or before class drilling it. By drilling things for many reps, you take the thought process out of it and you will begin to lock the core movements into muscle memory. After 6 months of this things will begin to link together and flow more easily.

There'a a very special club for special who learn things better by doing them instead of watching other people do them, and it's called "everyone". I'm sorry, as far as snowflakes go, you're the generic kind made in a Chinese sweatshop.

Back