NEWBIE 2 MARTIAL ARTS

Bingoking

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys

Looking for some advice. I'm totally new to martial arts, looking to train strictly for self defence and fitness. I'm going to add a weights routine into my training plan. Just not 100% sure on what martial arts or combo to go with.
I'm 31 years old 5,8 and 10.5 stone

What would yous recommend

Thanks in advance :)

you should go to the nearest MMA gym you can find and challenge the coach and all the fighters

let us know how it works out?

If you can't find an MMA gym then go to BJJ for certain and striking you should find kickboxing, Muay Thai, etc.

Aikido

giphy.gif

Go to a bjj school. Do gi & no-gi. You burn 1000 calories per hour when rolling. If you want to learn self defense and get fit. This is the sport. But be careful, its easy to get addicted and over train. Start off going maybe twice a week, once you get your fitness up you can increase your training.

Fuck training, go get some neck tattoos and learn to talk some trash, and you're already on your way to being promoted to a UFC title shot.

brazilian jujitsu. I've trained a little bit of everything, and this really gets you into the real mind set of what it's like ot be in a fight. it roughs u up hard and fast as blue belts are unforgiving against a white belt who goes too hard.. and they throw you into the fire from the get go where u just "roll" full on for the last part of classe si've taken. in otherwords. u u fihgt for real with jujitsu. and you're neck and body is gona be sore as fuck from getting tapped out choked and pwnt.

From there after atleast like 10 hours of BJJ i'd say chekc out some striking like muay thai, boxing, or kickboxing to tie the 2 arts together. That's the closest you'll get to understanding real fighting.

I'd continue to train the 2 and then chekc out things like krav magra after thta so you understand of what might actually be realistically effective and what you and your body is capable of vs weapons and seroiusly life threatening situations.

BJJ and strking first though. If you have some striking experience. i'd say you can do both at the same time.. but without any prior striking experience and absolutely at one point. you need ot wrestle/try BJJ. People that know how to graple are on a whole new level when it comes ot fihgting and understanding what can happen during a fight.

muay thai not hard on the body? wear and tear
Not really. Depends on the gym, if its a real MT gym, and not some strange MMA MT one where they go AKA or Chute Box on you (very hard sparring) it'll be fine.

imo Judo and wrestling is probably harder on your body.

Boxing and BJJ. Just from an age perspective, I think they'll get you practical far faster than alot of other stuff.

Think I'll go with the boxing and bjj. Boxing will be better for the long term and might chuck in some Thai elbows for dirty boxing or some Krav Maga at a later date

Anyone tried kyokushin karate, club on my doorstep and it's cheaper than the Thai and bjj gyms

Back