New York Police Union Sues to Stop Release of Body Camera Videos

Eye roll.

Another sanctimonious halfwit with zero clue.

Again... Since you're dense...over 90% of our violent crimes are perpetrated by black males. When the suspect is not a bm, we react accordingly.

Is it really that difficult to grasp we go where the crime is and the criminals are ?

Sadly, you're pandering to black criminals but not their black victims.

90% eh? Show me a link proving that. Also what city do you work for because it sure as shit a ain't NYC.The only "websites" i could find with anything close to that are very Stormfront'y or white nationalist in nature.. I checked the Bureau of Justice statistics and you are way off. Unless your particular "city" where you say you are a cop is in the middle of a warzone or the Bronx,Brownsville, or East NY (neither are a city btw) I think your 90% is a bit off there.

Eyeroll?

You sound ike a15 year old girl

Last edited:
It should be public as long as it doesn't jeopardize an on going case and was filmed in a public place.

If it was filmed in a private place you have the privacy rights of the citizen involved to consider also.
If the cops are on private property in response to a call that would Trump privacy

Is the cops are on private property in response to a call that would Trump privacy

No it doesn't. Which is why you no longer see the cop tv shows going inside.

They can film ( the cops)but releasing it is different.

The cops shows?

So police never enter private property on a job?

Ok

Go back and read maybe it's wasn't clear.

The cops can film most wherever they go legally but releasing it to the public is different.

Considering how many recent cases have been tried by the media/public opinion, a solid argument can be made for both sides. Would any one of us want to be Darren Wilson?
Personally, I think it is prudent to withhold the tapes until the legal proceedings are concluded, but do agree that the tapes are public property.

You should talk.. Judging by your posts

Found your Reddit.

1509792544534.png

It is beyond me how anyone could think that body cams should NOT be mandatory for all officers. Especially with how cheap cameras have become.

It is beyond me how anyone could think that body cams should NOT be mandatory for all officers. Especially with how cheap cameras have become.
Even with NYPD having 32,000 UMOS (uniformed members of service) less than half that is on the streets daily and New York definitely has the revenue to cover the costs.The cops i know have little issue with bodycams.In fact they are mostly pro body camera to reduce corruption and illegal activity within their own ranks.

Police unions are the biggest obstacle when it comes to public accountability. I remember two years ago my city police department tried to issue body cam, but dropped it after the union fought tooth and nails against it. Six months ago, a guy died in police custody and had bruises consistent with beating all over him. The police union lawyers blocked the civilian investigators from interviewing the 4 cops involved.

In short, fuck the police union.

NYPD Union wants all body cam footage blocked from any use without a court order after 2 fatal shootings

So much for full disclosure

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/nyregion/new-york-police-union-body-camera-lawsuit.html
If the police surprise your daughter in the shower then should the body cam footage be immediately accessible to the general public?

Perhaps, there should be a distinction between footage that is taken in public places and private places.

I would like to see the NYPD address its internal use of footage/photos, because I think that the CHP nude photo scandal is not an isolated incident:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/11/13/chp-nude-photo-scandal-why-were-no-other-officers-charged/

Police unions are the biggest obstacle when it comes to public accountability. I remember two years ago my city police department tried to issue body cam, but dropped it after the union fought tooth and nails against it. Six months ago, a guy died in police custody and had bruises consistent with beating all over him. The police union lawyers blocked the civilian investigators from interviewing the 4 cops involved.

In short, fuck the police union.

Its amazing what you hear from cops on the job vs retired..
cops working are all protective of the job and never blame themselves or other cops

retired cops are like "F that place it was a shithole all my bosses were either corrupt or ladder climbers" and "I wish i became a fireman so i didnt have to take shit everyday and do things i didnt agree with and lie"

If the police surprise your daughter in the shower then should the body cam footage be immediately accessible to the general public?

Perhaps, there should be a distinction between footage that is taken in public places and private places.

I would like to see the NYPD address its internal use of footage/photos, because I think that the CHP nude photo scandal is not an isolated incident:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/11/13/chp-nude-photo-scandal-why-were-no-other-officers-charged/
of course not. i was under the understanding we are talking about crimes and the before and after of said crimes... walking in on a shower unless its during a crime (domestic violence assault etc) obviously isnt part of that scenario
no one is saying live stream all their body cams ..but as i showed with the videos of Baltimore cops planting evidence or straight up assaulting people then claiming self defense etc yeah those should be made public and appropriate action taken

stuff like this

Body camera footage discovered by the city attorney’s office after a homeless man was convicted of an infraction shows a San Diego Police officer gave false testimony multiple times under oath.

of course not. i was under the understanding we are talking about crimes and the before and after of said crimes... walking in on a shower unless its during a crime (domestic violence assault etc) obviously isnt part of that scenario
no one is saying live stream all their body cams ..but as i showed with the videos of Baltimore cops planting evidence or straight up assaulting people then claiming self defense etc yeah those should be made public and appropriate action taken

stuff like this

Suppose it is bodycam footage of a police officer administering First Aid to your daughter who was disrobed and mutilated on the public sidewalk?

If there are exceptions to the rule of immediate public access then the NYPD union position of having a process for deeming appropriateness for public release looks less unreasonable.

I hope an approach will be worked out that encompasses both accountability and privacy concerns, but I am not holding my breath; there's a lot of bad blood right now on all sides.

Last edited:
Have to disagree with them. It's a recording of the police doing their job. The subject matter of the video takes place in full view of the public so there's no reason to later make it private. In many ways, it is similar to police reports - a recording of some interaction between the police and the public - and those are public record.

Additionally, the public good is advanced by making the videos public record. The public has every right to view the way their police engage with the public (as noted earlier - these engagements happen in the open in the first place) and, as public servants, I can't think of a compelling police need for keeping them private.

I might be okay with them being sealed until a case was concluded, just to avoid the viral nature many videos take on, but I feel public pressure is also one of the only reasons we see any accountability in a lot of police brutality cases.

Suppose it is bodycam footage of a police officer administering First Aid to your daughter who was disrobed and mutilated on the public sidewalk?

If there are exceptions to the rule of immediate public access then the NYPD union position of having a process for deeming appropriateness for public release looks less unreasonable.

I hope an approach will be worked out that encompasses both accountability and privacy concerns, but I am not holding my breath; there's a lot of bad blood right now.
again... that would fall under my reply when i said things like that arent going to be live streamed and if it was deemed necessary to release something like that they would most likely pixel out all of the offensive material like they do everyday on tv ...

the entire reason NYPD now has bodycams is because of a court ruling.They were found to have violated the 4th amendment
NYPD officers will wear them as part of one-year court-ordered pilot project connected to a federal ruling from 2013. In that case, Floyd v. City of New York, a U.S. district judge ruled that the department had violated the Fourth Amendment and that remediation was needed.
http://statescoop.com/watchdogs-say-nypds-body-cam-policy-undermines-accountability-file-lawsuit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_v._City_of_New_York

again... that would fall under my reply when i said things like that arent going to be live streamed and if it was deemed necessary to release something like that they would most likely pixel out all of the offensive material like they do everyday on tv ...

the entire reason NYPD now has bodycams is because of a court ruling.They were found to have violated the 4th amendment

http://statescoop.com/watchdogs-say-nypds-body-cam-policy-undermines-accountability-file-lawsuit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_v._City_of_New_York
I think we are basically agreeing.

The next step is to decide who makes the decision about what to release and what to pixelate.

I might be okay with them being sealed until a case was concluded, just to avoid the viral nature many videos take on, but I feel public pressure is also one of the only reasons we see any accountability in a lot of police brutality cases.
but heres the catch.. if its in the case of lets say a cop shot an unarmed man..the argument could be made that releasing the video could taint the juror pool and make it impossible to have a fair trial etc... BUT the other side of that is the public has a right to see for themselves in the case of an acquittal etc,... we have seen this happen many times
these came out AFTER the cop was already found not guilty

cop shot an unarmed kid 7 times ..cop was found not guilty and the family sued and won 2.7 million

except for this one which was phone footage

Back