New TUF season why do they seed them and match no.1 vs no.16?

The good dog

Tode
Banned
Reaction score
Seems like matching the best against the worst makes the whole seeding system pointless.

You do realize that's how every tournament bracket in the world works right?

March Madness? Pretty much all pro sports playoffs?

It's not like the seeds was the real rank.. was basically random.
How else you gonna do it goof?

Nope.

Why do this? No even Matchups
Because that's the benefit of being a 1 seed. You get rewarded for having the best shot to win by having an easier road in the beginning of the tournament.

Tournaments are designed so the 1 and 2 seeds will meet in the final, since that's who the tournament hosts have decided they are the two best fighters/teams etc.

Last edited:

Im not sure how they seeded the fighters. I have no idea about this season of tuf, but in all fairness teams get to fight for their seed all season before the playoffs. Are they matching fighters with seeds based on records? How do we know who gets the one seed? The eye test? I am not sure a fair way to do this other than random.

Im not sure how they seeded the fighters. I have no idea about this season of tuf, but in all fairness teams get to fight for their seed all season before the playoffs. Are they matching fighters with seeds based on records? How do we know who gets the one seed? The eye test? I am not sure a fair way to do this other than random.
Yes now the seeding may not be fair, but the tournament format is standard. It must be a combo of their records and which org they are the champ in.

This way it's more likely that the best seeds fill out the final matchups, instead of eliminating half of the best people in the very first round.

Imagine an MMA tournament consisting of only GSP, Anderson Silva, Chris Leben, and Elvis Sinosic.

Do you match up GSP/Anderson and Leben/Sinosic in the first round, just to ruin a hotly anticipated final and replace it with a predictable squash match? No.

You do realize all tournaments are formatted this way so the best fighters have the best chance to meet in the final and not the first round

haha this^

its a TOURNAMENT. thats how seeding works.

Nope.

Why do this? No even Matchups
Why not just take #1 vs #2 and skip the whole tournament then?
The answer is to make the fighters earn their way thru the tourney. if you have #1 vs #2 then one of the top 2 is guaranteed not to make the finals. Top seeds get the lowest seed because they theoretically have earned it by being the best.

I'm just a good dog guys, I don't know shit about how things work.

Thanks for the explanation

So match up The 2 best guys and the 2 worst because the fights would be more even? so the 15 seed can move on to the next round, while #2 is shit out of luck?

Might be the dumbest thing ive ever heard tbh

BTW the 1 vs 16 match up was far more competitive then 8 v 9, so theres that as well.

Seems like matching the best against the worst makes the whole seeding system pointless.
the point of the seeding system is to try to get the 2 best guys to fight each other in the finals.

this avoids stuff like season 15 where myles jury was matched with al iaquinta in the first fight.

Why not just take #1 vs #2 and skip the whole tournament then?
The answer is to make the fighters earn their way thru the tourney. if you have #1 vs #2 then one of the top 2 is guaranteed not to make the finals. Top seeds get the lowest seed because they theoretically have earned it by being the best.

Doesn't always happen. An upset is bound to happen probably. I sure hope it's Charlie Alaniz( went to my high school)

Back