New study on Boxing/UFC/WWE demographics in US - Boxing still top dog

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The study covers avid fans. In two different studies one said boxing has 50 million over all fans while MMA has around 30 million in the US. That gives us a clue what the cut of the pie is.

5yxabs.jpg

4lhthh.jpg

mhxfk2.jpg

[obligatory sarcastic boxing is dead post]

interesting. the two things that jumped out at me was gap in boxing over UFC in $250,000 + income compared to overall. The other was high % of female fans to male in WWE compared to the other two. The laaadies must love themselves a little of that bloated post steroid look lesnar is rocking.

The white man leads again. Stop following boxing and jump aboard the Chael express

Boxing is not more popular in the US. We all know how much like boxing and dispose of MMA fans, but it's not.

Not once have I ever met someone since I started watching boxing that was a big fan and regularly watched fights. Not once. I know a decent mount f people that USE to watch UFC consistently. but that has completely died.

I will say this though.. UFC popularity in the US is greatly, greatly overstated. Even when I was in college, in an area big on MMA, you would find maybe 1 in 20 people who actually watched, and the rest would maybe join in because it was the cool thing to do.

That cool thing to do aura has also fallen off.

These bastards didn't talk to me :-(

where is the white demographic? wtf

It only covers minorities. White's make up the rest. I don't know why they didn't put it on. Basically around 90% of fans are white, or whatever I didn't actually count.

It's funny that more MMA fans went to college but less graduated, and honestly that college crowd of MMA fans fit's the stats. That's so funny. Total douche bags they were. Weren't good enough to be athletes, but thought they were the shit and start fights everywhere, and unmistakeably dumb. Like a lot of the MMAf ans on this forum.

ufc = mma? fail survey

also you read the survey wrong lol how did 16 mil turn into 50?

The study covers avid fans. In two different studies one said boxing has 50 million over all fans while MMA has around 30 million in the US. That gives us a clue what the cut of the pie is.

5yxabs.jpg

4lhthh.jpg

mhxfk2.jpg

Boxing is not more popular in the US. We all know how much like boxing and dispose of MMA fans, but it's not.

Not once have I ever met someone since I started watching boxing that was a big fan and regularly watched fights. Not once. I know a decent mount f people that USE to watch UFC consistently. but that has completely died.

I will say this though.. UFC popularity in the US is greatly, greatly overstated. Even when I was in college, in an area big on MMA, you would find maybe 1 in 20 people who actually watched, and the rest would maybe join in because it was the cool thing to do.

That cool thing to do aura has also fallen off.

anecdotal evidence =! statistical evidence

What stands out to me is the age demographics. Boxing obviously killin it in the older demographics. I wonder how likely it is that the next generation will fill out those numbers when they get to that age though.

It's funny that more MMA fans went to college but less graduated, and honestly that college crowd of MMA fans fit's the stats. That's so funny. Total douche bags they were. Weren't good enough to be athletes, but thought they were the shit and start fights everywhere, and unmistakeably dumb. Like a lot of the MMAf ans on this forum.

if u look at the numbers, they're really not very different..

anecdotal evidence =! statistical evidence

It's true though. Go to any city or college and ask what they prefer and MMA will win.

Now don't get me wrong. That is mostly due to perception rather then reality. Boxing has a hugely negative vibe in the us these days. If boxing got some huge deal on network tv where almost all big fights were shown I have no doubt it would stomp MMA.

ufc = mma? fail survey

also you read the survey wrong lol how did 16 mil turn into 50?

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. They ran two different studies in the past, one for boxing which said it had a 50 million over all fan base and 16 million avid. And one for MMA which had a 30 million fan base and 16 million avid. I posted about them here before.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f53/boxings-us-fan-base-has-increased-significantly-decade-2272005/

Notice how in that one Meltzer tries to explain away the difference by saying boxing could only be so big because of Mexicans. While in this one they make up a fairly small percentage.

It's also possible that those people are still in college. UFC is doing very well in 18-29. UFC is the sport of the future.

It's also possible that those people are still in college. UFC is doing very well in 18-29. UFC is the sport of the future.

MMA is never going to be more popular then it was. I can see it being up and down but its not going to continue just taking off after already booming then slightly declining in the us..

MMA is never going to be more popular then it was. I can see it being up and down but its not going to continue just taking off after already booming then slightly declining in the us..

Even if Dana just wants to keep current fans happy the fact that 18-29 is doing well means the UFC will do alright until Dana is dead. A quarter of boxing's hardcore fans are over 45. In 30 years they'll be dead.

Even if Dana just wants to keep current fans happy the fact that 18-29 is doing well means the UFC will do alright until Dana is dead. A quarter of boxing's hardcore fans are over 45. In 30 years they'll be dead.

43% of NFL fans are over the age of 45, so in 50 years they'll be dead and UFC be taking over broski.

Or maybe that's not how demographics work.

43% of NFL fans are over the age of 45, so in 50 years they'll be dead and UFC be taking over broski.

Or maybe that's not how demographics work.

The truth is UFC is bringing in more younger fans than boxing. It's in the numbers. The boxing and UFC numbers are based on 16 million hardcore fans for each, an almost equal number.

The total number of hardcore NFL fans is about 65 million. So they can lose 40%, stop trying to get new fans, and still have more hardcore fans than the UFC, ayatollah bromeini.

Back