New Sport

Bighoff94

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What up, i just got done with playing college ball and really want to get involved in a martial art school but i know very little on the styles. i was a offensive lineman and was interested in maui thai & bjj but listened to a couple of joe rogan podcast and he made a convincing argument that its a disadvantage as a big guy to do bjj. Just want to get some people's opinion. Appreciate any feedback.

Its not disadvantageous for a big guy to do bjj. How else would a heavy weight like nog verdum or mir get gooder at fighting?

What up, i just got done with playing college ball and really want to get involved in a martial art school but i know very little on the styles. i was a offensive lineman and was interested in maui thai & bjj but listened to a couple of joe rogan podcast and he made a convincing argument that its a disadvantage as a big guy to do bjj. Just want to get some people's opinion. Appreciate any feedback.
your first mistake is listening to Joe Rogan.

Rogan is full of shit. The only "disadvantage" a big guy has in regards to BJJ is if he tries to rely on his size and strength instead of developing technique. And any big guy who tries that will very quickly learn that is not a good idea.

If you want to learn BJJ, go for it. Your size may influence what type of techniques you prefer to use, but it certainly doesn't stop you training BJJ.

That's not what Rogan said.

your first mistake is listening to Joe Rogan.
Rogan is full of shit. The only "disadvantage" a big guy has in regards to BJJ is if he tries to rely on his size and strength instead of developing technique. And any big guy who tries that will very quickly learn that is not a good idea.

If you want to learn BJJ, go for it. Your size may influence what type of techniques you prefer to use, but it certainly doesn't stop you training BJJ.

Really it's about how you apply said arts that makes them effective. How you control the distance.

You need to have answers for every range and position but you can certainly focus on what you naturally lean into, what you are motivated for. You just always work on getting the fight where your advantages play out.

I'd recommend trying most things. Boxing, wrestling, BJJ, kickboxing/sport katate, muay thai etc. Your drive for the arts will tell you where you go.

1. Try both.
  2. See which one you like.
  3. Do that one.
  4. Get good at it.

It's good to be big in every combat sport there's a reason there are weight classes.

Striking and grappling are completely different so try both and see what you like or do both. With striking you have to be ok with getting hit and the consequences both health wise and pain wise and being able not to flinch. Grappling is obviously better for your brain but obviously stuff can happen with your joints.
Since you post here I also assume that you do strength training and strength is more useful in grappling than in striking

It's good to be big in every combat sport there's a reason there are weight classes.

Striking and grappling are completely different so try both and see what you like or do both. With striking you have to be ok with getting hit and the consequences both health wise and pain wise and being able not to flinch. Grappling is obviously better for your brain but obviously stuff can happen with your joints.
Since you post here I also assume that you do strength training and strength is more useful in grappling than in striking

Yeah all i do is strength 4 to 5 times a week

Back