New Shadowboxing! | Page 2

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Sano, Dec 3, 2017.

1. MaxMMA Blue Belt

MaxMMA
    Also how much slip line work do you do? Looks like you have decent head movement but as someone above mentioned you only move it when you're not throwing punches. Shadowboxing on the slip line will help fix this.

Sano likes this.
  2. shincheckin Green Belt

shincheckin
    same here. does anyone know if he has ever fought? theres nothing on his youtube channel.

exclamatio and Sano like this.
  3. Mik3ThaMartian White Belt

Mik3ThaMartian
    I think I remember reading somewhere he only had one fight in Europe and lost by UD

exclamatio, Sano and shincheckin like this.
  4. Reyesnuthugr belt

Reyesnuthugr
    I remember reading he was an amateur boxer. I like his ideas and concepts a lot, though.

Sano, shincheckin and Mik3ThaMartian like this.
  5. Mongoosemk12 Orange Belt

Mongoosemk12
    Random internet muay thai asshat checking in. Initially wasn't gonna post in here, but several others have mentioned it so add me to the crew I suppose. IMO you look stiff/rigid. That's not to say you have bad movement/posture. You pivot very well and I love that you throw shots on the break, but you just don't look relaxed to me. Someone mentioned it above (forgot to quote it), but you don't seem to move your head much when you throw or are looking to throw. It's mostly just when you have already committed to move. I always have a hard time putting this stuff into words, but that stiffness basically makes you easy to read/timeable (for me). The way you hold your head when you throw your jab is a little weird (this head/neck is the source of some of the stiffness?). It's like you've tucked your chin, but also leave it open to a well timed big fatty right cross or overhand. I dunno, maybe that's really a defensive range thing from boxing? Again, I'm a muay thai guy but that's the stuff I'm seeing from my perspective :D If I could pick one suggestion, just try to play a lot more in sparring if you have the opportunity, or even holding pads for someone else. For me, learning to play and joke around a lot while remaining active really loosened me up and actually improved my feint game a ton.

ctrlaltdelete and Sano like this.
  6. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    Yeah he has some good stuff, but it's hard to pick out a single stance. It depends on the purpose. I've seen him teach a variety of stances as well, and all of the three stances in the top picture can be useful. I do think he has some amateur experience, at least that is what I remember. I will defintely be extra way of overhands and hooks though, and play around with it more.
    You see straight through me as always <3

Yes, I jizzed on the walls too
    Yeah, I do have problems with my hips actually. My ROM is quite poor, especially my internal rotation, it seems to be an osseous limitation so nothing I can really do about it. I keep hoping that they will improve. Makes it harder to use them, but then again, there are many ways to Rome.

Don't worry, wont throw out my elbows. I take that as a compliment, being compared to YCM. He would flatline me in a boxing contest, and you too most likely.

-
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

@a guy anything to add to help a dude out before we close the show? It's been a while.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    MaxMMA likes this.
  7. exclamatio Yellow Belt

exclamatio
    Good work dude! Loved the tenacity in that first clip, especially the level changing jabs, I love spearing them out like that now and again!

Sano likes this.
  8. Reyesnuthugr belt

Reyesnuthugr
    I re-watched your shadowboxing and have to say this time, I paid special attention and saw that when you were punching your head-movement (slipping) should be built right into the punches but your head was a little too stationary for my tastes.

The natural mechanic should have your head slipping- not a LOT, not exaggeratedly, but just enough to slip a punch, and I dont think you were all the way there. Your head reminds me of a periscope a little. Keeping it still when punching makes it really easy to counter you, they don't even have to look. Also it fights against the energy of the natural body mechnics, robbing the punch of precious natural torque and leverage.

All I want is a little tiny bit more head movement (slipping) with your punches. It should look basically the same as how you're doing it already, almost indistinguishable (subtle but there). Little things make a big difference.

And when I was talking about having you lean slightly forward, you're already doing it most of the time, so no big change there.

When I used percent, I should have used degrees.10 degrees (from 90 to 100 on the protractor) is all you need. 5 degrees may work sometimes but is little shaky, somewhere between the two (or maybe just ever-so-slightly more) would be good. Also the lower one's legs bend, the more degrees of bending forward the human body does to naturally compensate (balance), so the effective degrees can vary somewhat. If you see someone like Tyson who bends his legs a lot, the natural lean will be more forward in those instances, it's not wrong.

[​IMG]

Ultimately, do what you want, but these are my suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Sano likes this.
  9. a guy Black Belt

a guy
    Looks real good man. Especially the footwork. Some things to work on:

I agree with others that you could engage your hips a little more and sit down on your punches at the right times.

I'd really like to see you combine your offense and defense more fluidly. You tend to go attack mode, defend mode, and it's relatively easy to tell when you're doing which.

In addition to that, you fall into some predictable patterns, particularly with your head movement. You like to do the same pull, roll, roll, reset sequence over and over with little variation, and rarely will you move your feet or punch during that pattern. There are a few distinct ones like that I picked up on. Work on mixing them up. Sometimes pull then punch immediately. Sometimes pull, roll, pivot out, punch. Sometimes pull, slip, duck deeper, step in to smother. Stuff like that.

Another thing I'd really like to see from you is more in-out-in. For example, in with a jab, hop step out, back in with a 1-2. You've got that reach and somewhat upright style, so you need to be drilling those kinds of traps that rely on distance control and rhythm to catch guys coming in.

Very nice stuff overall. Keep it up!

Sano likes this.