New purchases incoming (unless you convince me otherwise )

I'd be interested in reading your initial impressions as well.

I'd like to hear about them as well, especially their actual weight and hand compartment size.

I bought a pair of the 2nd generation Boon 16oz that I really liked. After 9 months of use a training partner tried them and commented on how light they felt so I weighted them and they turned out to be 14oz exactly which didn't really suit my needs for club sparring and the amateur smokers that require 16oz gloves. I feel that if the standard for considerate and safe sparring is 16oz, the glove should actually be at least that to protect our training partners.

Anyway, I contacted the company to ask about another product and mentioned the weight discrepancy and they basically brushed it all off as expected variation in hand-made products and that nobody weights gloves anyway. If this is the case why advertise weight at all? At least they could weight them after production and sell them as the oz they are closest too in reality. Mine would have made a perfect pair of 14oz. Now I only use them for pads as I don't feel I should be sparring with them.

The hand compartment was also unexpectedly large on my pair from reading others experiences with them, go figure.

I'd like to hear about them as well, especially their actual weight and hand compartment size.

I bought a pair of the 2nd generation Boon 16oz that I really liked. After 9 months of use a training partner tried them and commented on how light they felt so I weighted them and they turned out to be 14oz exactly which didn't really suit my needs for club sparring and the amateur smokers that require 16oz gloves. I feel that if the standard for considerate and safe sparring is 16oz, the glove should actually be at least that to protect our training partners.

Anyway, I contacted the company to ask about another product and mentioned the weight discrepancy and they basically brushed it all off as expected variation in hand-made products and that nobody weights gloves anyway. If this is the case why advertise weight at all? At least they could weight them after production and sell them as the oz they are closest too in reality. Mine would have made a perfect pair of 14oz. Now I only use them for pads as I don't feel I should be sparring with them.

The hand compartment was also unexpectedly large on my pair from reading others experiences with them, go figure.

Ahhhh the 16oz rule in Australia. I'm from Australia and they bang on about 16oz gloves being the only thing we can use in sparring but that's the only consideration, I could go in an spar with my 16oz Fairtex BGV9's and give someone brain damage and it wouldn't be my fault because they were 16oz. But if I use my 14oz BGV6 sparring gloves (That are soft as pillows) people go "Ohhh but they're not 16oz". IMO the weight isn't the issue its the padding. I'd rather spar against someone in 14oz Twins than someone in 16oz Sting boxing gloves.

Ahhhh the 16oz rule in Australia. I'm from Australia and they bang on about 16oz gloves being the only thing we can use in sparring but that's the only consideration, I could go in an spar with my 16oz Fairtex BGV9's and give someone brain damage and it wouldn't be my fault because they were 16oz. But if I use my 14oz BGV6 sparring gloves (That are soft as pillows) people go "Ohhh but they're not 16oz". IMO the weight isn't the issue its the padding. I'd rather spar against someone in 14oz Twins than someone in 16oz Sting boxing gloves.
I would be unhappy if I sparred with someone that was using bgv9’s lol

I would be unhappy if I sparred with someone that was using bgv9’s lol

Majority of Australian fighters would be fine with me using gloves made of concrete as long as they were 16oz. The power of the weight tag protects them.

You bring up an excellent point Woldog and I agree szie is not the only issue when considering sparring safety, especially when we have models like the BGV9 being so popular. Certainly different glove models produce different sparring experiences, however I was talking specifically about one model and what sizes they are are selling within that line and what I am expecting at purchase. If I buy 16oz gloves of a model I would expect them to be closer to 16oz than 14oz (my pair were 14oz and simply should have been sold as such), and I am also suggesting using 16oz rather than 14oz of the SAME model is a thing I think is more appropriate for my partners.

Majority of Australian fighters would be fine with me using gloves made of concrete as long as they were 16oz. The power of the weight tag protects them.

I admit it has crossed my mind to use something like Fairfax BGV6 in house and switch to BGV9 for a smoker :D

I admit it has crossed my mind to use something like Fairfax BGV6 in house and switch to BGV9 for a smoker :D

Unfortunately the unsanctioned bouts I compete in we have to use the promoters gloves :mad:

Unfortunately the unsanctioned bouts I compete in we have to use the promoters gloves :mad:

At my lowly level, those events can also stretch to using their ill sized shin pads and headgear, which have already been used many times that day! :rolleyes:

At my lowly level, those events can also stretch to using their ill sized shin pads and headgear, which have already been used many times that day! :rolleyes:

Yep, I enjoy being first up on the card, far more than being 8th because 8th up I get all the sweat of the 7 guys before me.... We don't wear headgear on my cards unless you opt to.

I got hit with 16oz nzboxer gloves and it felt like a brick to the face! Really popular gloves over here

Make sure your new gloves are black and grey. Looks was badass!

So I'm crosstraining boxing and MT and doing more boxing sparring but any gear I buy needs to be multipurpose
Topking full coverage headgear. Ive read good reviews
Topking shin gaurds to replace my old ones
Boon gloves 16oz as a decent boxing/muay thai hybrid glove. also good for small hands. I don't tend to clinch much.
I don't think my sparring partners enjoyed my 12oz fairtex bvg9s :D

I am not a fan of the topking shinguards. Their strapping system is way too small. its soo tight I cant even use the bottom strap. I just got some revgear shinguards, their "thai style"model. They are really really nice.

I am not a fan of the topking shinguards. Their strapping system is way too small. its soo tight I cant even use the bottom strap. I just got some revgear shinguards, their "thai style"model. They are really really nice.
Funnily enough it was one of your youtube vidoes that convinced me to go with the topkings

Funnily enough it was one of your youtube vidoes that convinced me to go with the topkings

top king changed the game however many years ago it was now when they first came out with their shin guard design, with the raised midsection for extra padding, and the slight "knee" protection part.

everybody soon copied them, and now just about every company makes them the same way.

What I dont like about the top kings (i also mentioned it in the video) is their hook and loop closure system. It is way too small/tight. I am not a big guy, i fight at 135lbs! and even I cannot strap the bottom velcro strap its so tight. Let alone fit another cloth shinpad underneath to wear 2 shinpads if you have a injury.

So the only way to solve this is to either have the double strap system, like twins, or have a hook and loop system with more wiggle room, like revgears.

Top kings hook and loop system is also extremely hard to thread the straps through.

overall they are good but and get the job done but if I want to nit pick these are my complaints.

I prefer the old school classic design without the raised part on the shinpad as well. it seems like the shinpad has its raised thick part, but the sides are rather thin, where the classic design is thicker everywhere, but lacks the raised middle portion.

hook and loop velcro

Top-King-Shin-Guards.jpg

vs double strap velcro

classic shinguard design

thumbnail.asp

vs the new style design

bsg-rd6.jpg

and my new revgears I am going to have to say as of now I feel the revgears are the best shinpads I have had and I have used almost every major brand. I will do a review once I use them for a while and get a good amount of use in them.

Revgear-Thai-Original-Shin-Guard-White-Black-41520-A__75111.1502392548.jpg

top king changed the game however many years ago it was now when they first came out with their shin guard design, with the raised midsection for extra padding, and the slight "knee" protection part.

everybody soon copied them, and now just about every company makes them the same way.

It was't Top King what introduced this design. It was the original KING company. Top King is the brother of the original owner who decided to go his own way. Imho King is having higher quality standards compared to the newer TopKing.

It was't Top King what introduced this design. It was the original KING company. Top King is the brother of the original owner who decided to go his own way. Imho King is having higher quality standards compared to the newer TopKing.

you are correct, top king has done much better than king.

Back