New Lynching Memorial Offers Chance to Remember and Heal

Phr3121

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Story: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...e-to-remember-heal/ar-AAw8Q0S?ocid=spartanntp

"A new memorial for victims of hate-inspired lynchings that terrorized generations of U.S. blacks -- The National Memorial for Peace and Justice, opening Thursday, is a project of the nonprofit Equal Justice Initiative, a legal advocacy group in Montgomery, Alabama. The organization says the combined museum and memorial will be the nation's first site to document racial inequality in America from slavery through Jim Crow to the issues of today. The site includes a memorial to the victims of 4,400 "terror lynchings" of black people in 800 U.S. counties from 1877 through 1950. All but about 300 were in the South, and prosecutions were rare in any of the cases.

Ok, can someone explain to me why we need this memorial? So, Confederate monuments get to come down and this 'aberration' gets to go up.

@Captain Davis, @Cint

Last edited:
Ok, can someone explain to me why we need this memorial? The majority of lynchings happened in the North - 4,100 out of 4,400? So, Confederate monuments get to come down and this 'aberration' gets to go up.

@Captain Davis, @Cint

That article says all but 300 were in the south. Meaning 4,100 were in the South.

Were you really under the impression that the vast majority of lynchings were in the North? That might highlight the need for a museum like this, actually.

To put lynchings into perspective, Emmett Till (the 14 year old boy that was beaten to death because a white woman said he whistled towards her) was the same age as Muhammed Ali. Ali just died at the age of 74, only because he was so ill.

Emmett Till would likely still be alive today. That's how recent this was.

I'm so confused. Memorials to celebrate slavers are bad but memorials for victims are suddenly "good"? Quadruple standard.

...the victims of 4,400 "terror lynchings" of black people...all but about 300 were in the South.
That article says all but 300 were in the south. Meaning 4,100 were in the South.

My mistake. You are right. 300 from the North. Have not had my cup of coffee today...

Last edited:

Were you really under the impression that the vast majority of lynchings were in the North? That might highlight the need for a museum like this, actually.

To put lynchings into perspective, Emmett Till (the 14 year old boy that was beaten to death because a white woman said he whistled towards her) was the same age as Muhammed Ali. Ali just died at the age of 74, only because he was so ill.

The Emmett Till case is so horrific, his face was so mangled but his parents decided to have an open casket despite the total destruction of face so the world can see how bad racism and barbaric people are in their town. Years later they exhumed him and his casket was emptied and sent to a museum I think.

They say his body is still mostly intact but he is still dead.

That's pretty bizarre, and almost seems like some racist's troll job.

Why's that?

Do you feel that way about the holocaust museum?

I interpreted it wrong. When I read "Lynching memorial" my mind automatically went to a tribute to lynching.

I should probably read the article before posting.

I interpreted it wrong. When I read "Lynching memorial" my mind automatically went to a tribute to lynching.

Looks like you have not had your cup of coffee either. It is Sunday...

How about refraining from American politics and focusing on Canada.

You would know..............

ROFL.

I love how in the other thread you were whining about the retarded alt Left not being representative of Liberals like you, and yet here you are calling me racist based on absolutely nothing at all.

What a silly little cunt you are.

Lol, would be hard to find funding for such a venture.

Great post. That is some real prospective.

ROFL.

I love how in the other thread you were whining about the retarded alt Left not being representative of Liberals like you, and yet here you are calling me racist based on absolutely nothing at all.

What a silly little cunt you are.

When did I call you a racist?

I don't see how this is a bad thing. Lynching was a bad thing that occurred during American history.

Go to Salem Massachusetts. There is a museum dedicated to an event in the where 20 people were wrongfully killed 400 years ago.

The museum in the OP is dedicated to the thousands of people who were wrongfully killed not too long ago.

Oh fuck. It's not even a museum, buy a memorial. Quit complaining TS.

@nac386 - great avatar. I think you are the second one I've seen using the Steve McQueen mugshot. @SMillard

463037.jpg

This is the popular shot from 'Le Mans'.

Back