New Korean MMA News and Discussion

Wardog Cage Fight 13 had a few notable Korean bouts this weekend
Jae Gu Kang moved to 4-1-1 and claimed their Strawweight title with a 1st round triangle choke.
Former ROAD FC and current UFC Korean commentator Dae Hwan Kim scored a KO win, moves to 7-1

2 different angles of corner footage of his KO
http://tv.naver.com/v/1645236
http://tv.kakao.com/channel/2686745/cliplink/304346343

Former ONE BW title challenger Dae Hwan Kim (different from the commentator) will be returning for the first time in over a year and a half at ALL FC 6/7 on the 13th.
image.jpg

Not sure what the "Take over me!" is about

Also from Sunday

Hope she has enough cash on hand saved for a plane ticket home, just in case.

Apparently Invicta signed ALL FC's Flyweight champ, Chan Mi Jeon. Seems like a pretty random signing for them.
http://blog.naver.com/kimse7942/220997130957

Jeon's last fight, a title defense against WMMA pioneer Megumi Yabushita

Her vs Na Young Song in a tournament final to claim the title

I assume she's from a Muay Thai background considering her gym. She seems comfortable on the ground, though she is still pretty raw there.

Last edited:
Idk that Invicta would have realistically been a viable option for her unless she planned to move to the US permanently. Not much incentive to fly from Korea with your team only to make 2-3k.

If she does sign with ONE (in all likelihood she will considering her new team) then hopefully being a part of Evolve and having some name value will be enough for ONE to not shelve her for years after 2-3 fights.

Found something interesting, Dae Hwan Kim's brother, Dae Ryeong Kim, is the promoter for ALL FC. Explains why most of Kukje Gym fights there and why Dae Hwan is heading there, Dae Ryeong owns that gym as well.

It's the han inside them. Makes Korean fighters fight on no matter what. It's the secret to the Koreans' "zombie mode."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_(cultural)

Han or Haan [ha̠n][1] is a theorized culture-bound syndrome that can lead to medical conditions such as dyspnea, heart palpitation, and dizziness. Han denotes a collective feeling of oppression and isolation in the face of insurmountable odds, the overcoming of which is beyond the nation's own capabilities. It connotes aspects of lament and unavenged injustice.

The minjung theologian Suh Nam-dong describes han as a "feeling of unresolved resentment against injustices suffered, a sense of helplessness because of the overwhelming odds against one, a feeling of acute pain in one's guts and bowels, making the whole body writhe and squirm, and an obstinate urge to take revenge and to right the wrong—all these combined."[2]

Shut up HAN lol. You don't know that... A little learning is a dangerous thing, bro.

repost from the women's divisions discussion thread:
Ji Yeon Kim, the fighter originally proposed as Holm's opponent for Singapore, wants to rematch Shizuka Sugiyama. Kim took on the more experienced Sugiyama in her pro debut, where they fought to a draw.

Shut up HAN lol. You don't know that... A little learning is a dangerous thing, bro.
Troll, I've lived in Korea. STFU.

Middleweight bout announced for Road FC 40 in July:

I didn't think Jae Young Kim was still fighting, but apparently he's fighting for the TFC middleweight title in July:

He's their current MW champion. He hasn't fought as much the last 2 years but he was very active in 2014 and is on an 8 fight winning streak over some decent names.

Jong Heon Park on that card was a semifinalist in their LW tourney but had to pull out with an injury and has been doing sambo and kickboxing competitions since, he also trains out of KZ's gym now. The guy he's fighting, Chang Han Lim, is a former professional basketball player for the Incheon ET Land Elephants and Changwon LG Sakers in the KBL.

Good to see Doo Ri Song, he gave Yokota a tough fight a few years ago then I'm assuming military happened since he went over 2 years before having another bout scheduled.

Good to see he's still fighting. I still remember being there live when he knocked out Ryuichi Murata.
shit, ryuichi murata, that's a blast from the past. i was a big fan of his.

Back