New Korean MMA News and Discussion

Caporal missed weight so he was deducted points each round, had he won he still would have needed to participate in a 2nd trials and make weight. He missed weight, causing him to lose a fight he won and blow his shot at a million bucks, definition of foolishness
oh yeah, now i remember reading about that (probably earlier in this thread). too bad, caporal is a good fighter but he let himself down.

Recently at Xtreme Couture, Big Country got the experience of a lifetime when he got to meet the fighter known as "Hello Kitty."

I'd bet one of his meals weighs more than she does.

In other training team up news, Natsuki Shimomakise traveled to Korea to train at Team J with Lee Ye-Ji

Full TFC 13 event is up

Sung Won Jo had an interesting entrance as usual and apparently goes by Mad Joker now instead of Mad Kangaroo

What a ham. Funny story. I remember the first week Sung-won showed up to start training BJJ. He'd never done anything before. Just a skinny littke kid.

I asked him what got him interested in jiu-jitsu and he said, "Oh, I want to be famous".

Thanks guys. I always enjoy reading all the updates.

Looks like Young Bok Kil and Jung Yoon Choi both fell off of the Kunlun Fight MMA card that's taking place tomorrow. ROAD FC vet Heqin Lin is a late addition, she's fighting 6-1 amateur Mallory Martin who trains with Cat Zingano. There's also a few people that were in the Kunlun vs TOP FC event.
CzpXI13VIAI97qx.jpg
CzpXK0zVEAE0VaX.jpg
CzpXMyaUkAAxsQ6.jpg

Last edited:
The Young Guns 31 portion of ROAD FC 35 has been uploaded to YouTube

Personally I thought Kyung Pyo Kim should have gotten the nod in his fight. He outstruck and outgrappled Dae Sung Park the entire fight outside of one punch that Kim quickly recovered from. Hyung Soo Kim and Hyung Geun Park put on a wild fight, back and forth brawl. They were dead tired halfway through but kept pushing on, fun stuff. Given their performance, their previous history, and the outcome, I think we will get a rematch somewhere down the road.

From the Jung Young Lee vs Ho Jun Kim fight

Deyu Wang's KO

ROAD announced their event plan for 2017

17 events (not counting their amateur league)
ROAD%2BFC%2B2017.jpg

ROAD%2BFC%2B2017%2BPLAN.jpg

It also looks like they might be planning an all WMMA event or something
ROAD%2BGirls%2Bday.jpg

ROAD also had their awards ceremony for 2016

Best Team:
Team Finish
Ssabi MMA
Team Posse

Rookie of the Year:
Aorigele
Kim Bo-Sung
Ye Ji Lee, Seung Yeon Kim, and Jung Young Lee were also nominated

KOTY (didn't list the specific fight):
Nandin Erdene
Bruno Miranda (has to be the one over Seung Yeon Kim)
Seung Yeon Kim, Min Woo Kim, Soo Chul Kim, and Mighty Mo were also nominated

FOTY:
Min Woo Kim vs Je Hoon Moon II
Nae Chul Kim vs Jung Kyo Park and Hong Man Choi vs Aorigele were nominated

Fighter of the Year (selected by the media):
A Sol Kwon

Fighter of the Year (not selected by the media):
A Sol Kwon
Mu Gyeom Choi, Yoon Jun Lee, Soo Chul Kim, and Kim Bo Sung were also nominated

Looks like ROAD is also planning an Openweight tournament for 2017
15541054_1332467636811739_449457476059331290_o.jpg

Anyone a fan back when Spirit MC was still around? Watching some videos on YT today. I got to attend No 17, one of their last 3 shows, live. Spirit MC also had semi-pro and amateur leagues as well, much like RoadFC does today. In a way, Road could be considered the spiritual successor to Spirit MC in that they grow the sport on multiple levels. Unfortunately, Spirit went under when ProElite did after getting into an affiliation with them, along with Icon, FKA SuperBrawl.

ROAD was more or less meant to be the spiritual successor to Spirit MC and to try and revive the domestic scene that was pretty much nonexistent with PRIDE and Spirit going under.

I wonder who has the rights to Spirit MC's library, I would love to have full events instead of a handful of low quality videos and a few gifs

Spirit MC 17 is a pretty cool one to have attended considering what a lot of those guys have gone on to accomplish (4 future ROAD champs, a TFC champ, and 2 guys in the UFC)

Yui Chul Nam smashing Se Young Kim at Spirit MC 18

Spirit MC 17 was a pretty good event live. A few things I remember:
-I got in for free. I was in the ticket line when another American came up and offered me his, as his friends had gotten slightly better seats with one of the fight teams.
-I thought Nam Sun Kim was beating Kyung Ho Kang, Then Kim gets hit and his nose starts bleeding bad, so they stop the fight, the doctor checks him, then Kim drops to his knees and starts shouting and pounding the mat. Broken nose.
-Yoon Young Kim gave a speech after his fight, apparently it was in protest of imported beef from U.S. I wasn't happy when I found that out later, especially because it was after he just beat an American fighter.
_I was looking forward to watching Murata fight, and then leaving and going "when was his fight?" I guess it was either because it was over that fast, or it was when I was in the restroom. It was a fast fight, though.
-Met DHK in the hallway.
-Big rivalry between Kwon A Sol and Kim Do Hyung.
-Jae Seok Lim and Jung Hwan Cha both had musical performers provide live entrance music for them. Cha had some rapper, and Lim had Maya, who I had never heard before, but have been a big fan since.

Got some autographs on my event mini poster in the parking lot after.

ROAD also had their awards ceremony for 2016

Best Team:
Team Finish
Ssabi MMA
Team Posse

Rookie of the Year:
Aorigele
Kim Bo-Sung
Ye Ji Lee, Seung Yeon Kim, and Jung Young Lee were also nominated

KOTY (didn't list the specific fight):
Nandin Erdene
Bruno Miranda (has to be the one over Seung Yeon Kim)
Seung Yeon Kim, Min Woo Kim, Soo Chul Kim, and Mighty Mo were also nominated

FOTY:
Min Woo Kim vs Je Hoon Moon II
Nae Chul Kim vs Jung Kyo Park and Hong Man Choi vs Aorigele were nominated

Fighter of the Year (selected by the media):
A Sol Kwon

Fighter of the Year (not selected by the media):
A Sol Kwon
Mu Gyeom Choi, Yoon Jun Lee, Soo Chul Kim, and Kim Bo Sung were also nominated
Aorigele and Hong man choi is nowhere near fight of the year lolol. And. Kwon a sol got koed in his last last fight. I don't see him being fighter of the year.

ROAD was more or less meant to be the spiritual successor to Spirit MC and to try and revive the domestic scene that was pretty much nonexistent with PRIDE and Spirit going under.

I wonder who has the rights to Spirit MC's library, I would love to have full events instead of a handful of low quality videos and a few gifs

Spirit MC 17 is a pretty cool one to have attended considering what a lot of those guys have gone on to accomplish (4 future ROAD champs, a TFC champ, and 2 guys in the UFC)

Yui Chul Nam smashing Se Young Kim at Spirit MC 18

It's not fair that yui chul nam got cut. He's basically 2-1 in the ufc

any update on yui chul nam and any1 no if won sik park can speak Japanese? Just curious lol

Anyone know the background on Choong Il Park? Tapology lists his birthplace as Musan, DPRK. Now fighting out of Wild Gym, based in Seoul. Defector?

any update on yui chul nam and any1 no if won sik park can speak Japanese? Just curious lol
Not sure what's up with Nam, he's been doing some shows lately (was a contestant on Korea's version of Master Chef). As for Parky, I don't really know but I doubt he's fluent in it.

Anyone know the background on Choong Il Park? Tapology lists his birthplace as Musan, DPRK. Now fighting out of Wild Gym, based in Seoul. Defector?
Yeah, defector. Idk anything other than that about him.

Not sure what's up with Nam, he's been doing some shows lately (was a contestant on Korea's version of Master Chef). As for Parky, I don't really know but I doubt he's fluent in it.

Yeah, defector. Idk anything other than that about him.
Just curious if party knew how to speak a lil bit of Japanese because he been fighting in Japan for most of his fights and I've seen vids of him talking to his Japanese opponents after the fights .

Back