New Ken Primola Free DVD offer - Be Aware

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Rookie, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Rookie Yellow Belt

Rookie
    Let me first say that I love the stuff Ken has put on youtube and he adds a lot to the community and has helped me greatly.

With that out of the way, it looks like he is going the same route as Rafael Lovato's recent release and I wanted to give people a heads up before ordering. It looks like it automatically adds a free month of his new Smart BJJ on-line program which turns into a $37/month membership at the end of the first month.

Because of the material Ken has put out before and the credentials of his partner, I'm considering trying his system out for a month myself but I wanted to make others aware of what they would be getting into before they ordered.

No surprises right?

2. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    This shit is very disappointing.

3. Newcastle Brown Belt

Newcastle
    This is the way of the modern marketing machine. Read the fine print.

4. kjg1672 Purple Belt

kjg1672
    I don't know why anyone would buy a DVD. There's enough out there on youtube or with sites like Marcelo's. And you don't have to worry about crap like this happening.

5. nodferatu Drilling in the south

nodferatu
    To add to bad experiences of the LI marketing. I bought the cd trial of Lloyd's sponsorship secrets DVD back in October I believe. I never received it, emailed the site in November with no response. Finally emailed Lloyd on Facebook in which he said he would look into why no one responded to my email and why i was never sent the cd and that he would send me the entire course for free.

Two weeks later in december I had to email him again and told him it never came. A day later I got my money back in PayPal.

Won't ever buy/participate in anything LI marketing related again.

6. Darth Shlong District World Champion

Darth Shlong
    Ken used to be cool then he jumped on Lloyd's dick and I stopped checking for his stuff.

7. jaysculls Purple Belt

jaysculls
    100% agree...people know me and know that I market stuff at times but the shit people are doing to market now is def disappointing.

Jason Scully

8. deadlizard cold blooded

deadlizard
    Can't say I blame him. Trying to make a buck in martial arts is pretty tough.

9. Shizzx Blue Belt

Shizzx
    stuff gets saturated REALLY QUICK... The setup and Template that he uses is common now and less attractive to the field but hes making money regardless though.

10. Rookie Yellow Belt

Rookie
    I agree. Ken's stuff is very good and its very hard to monetize a youtube channel for such a niche market so I understand the need to branch out.

My biggest point of contention is the "bonus" membership that turns in to a $37/month charge if you don't cancel in time. I've heard the defense stating that is how internet business work, but to me, that is not a justification, it's just a restating of the problem.

Of course the monthly charge is explained in the fine print and then way below the Add to Cart link. It looks to be intentionally disguised or at least camouflaged.

People can make money in this industry, maybe not "Master Lloyd Money", but they can make a living marketing and advertising with integrity

11. KarateFist Purple Belt

KarateFist
    So that's Cyborg, Buchecha, Lovato and Primola all magically started doing this now? is this a new part of LI's marketing seminars or something? is he telling these to go out and do this stuff? i know these guys attend his seminars so curious to know..

12. deadlizard cold blooded

deadlizard
    To some people, integrity part is what's written in the fine print.

Obviously, the meaning of integrity is different to different people.

Not defending him, but I'm just saying.

13. deadlizard cold blooded

deadlizard
    Maybe we can get someone who attended his seminar to comment on this.

My guess is that it's taught and is being used successfully. This is why it's being repeated in the marketplace.

14. Rookie Yellow Belt

Rookie
    A couple videos from the marketers themselves.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LQpzHetuOL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one is LONG be warned.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2-pwCgqHH7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. batman69 Purple Belt

batman69
  16. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    Yeah I definitely understand the need to market. It's the deception that I don't like.

The deception model will fail because tricking people into spending money is extremely shortsighted. You earn repeat customers by making them want to spend their money with you, not by tricking them into forgetting about some fine print.

17. KJGould Silver Belt

KJGould
    Fitness gyms still try to do something similar with their memberships, like not letting members know they have to pay a month in advance when cancelling a contract, or sometimes the people that sign them up tick boxes for them without them knowing.

These gyms at least in the UK have been investigated, and some are struggling or have gone out of business.

18. beeran1 Purple Belt

beeran1
    Ugh. What a bunch of BS. Is it really that hard to make a buck as an honest BJJ instructor? If your school is following the Lloyd way of thinking, memberships to your gym probably cost at least $170-180 (if not more), no?

19. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    I think the success of these marketing techniques is being greatly exaggerated -- especially this trickery stuff.

Just because people are using it does not mean it is successful. Let's be honest here; the guys using this stuff are not experienced business people. In fact, they were probably doing terrible in business before which is why they went to the business seminar in the first place.

You can't learn that much about business at a weekend seminar. The BJJ analogy here would be a bunch of random guys who went to a Royce seminar going back home and armbarring people. Of course they are going to be making huge mistakes and doing a lot of things incorrectly because they just don't have the experience to do things right yet. They might be better off than they were before the seminar, but that does not mean that they are considered good.

Tricking your customers is shortsighted. It can only work once. So if you're going to roll out business advice based around trickery, make sure you get plenty of value out of that one trick. Make sure you sell a slot at a business seminar for a few thousand dollars rather than selling a month subscription for $37 that will probably get charged back anyway.

20. deadlizard cold blooded

deadlizard
    Apparantly so.

Charging $x amount of dollar don't mean shit if your revenue < cost.