New Judo Techniques

Moskito

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello together. Bjj invents new techniques submissions etc. from time to time so does catch wrestling. Me being a Judoka I think it's important to be open minded and learn new stuff. So my question for fellow Judoka is have you also made up new techniques or variations? Or do you know relatively new Judo techniques. I have tried to modify my ground game with influences from catch wrestling (don't care about IJF rules=) ). Are other Judo guys here who also try to incoporate catch wrestling into their Judo? In my opinion Maeda learning about catch wrestling and using it to improve his Judo would have been the better role model for the art than what we see in competition judo today. (No disrespect to the athletes their not responsible for the rules) What are your experiences? Thank's for your answers

Bjj invents new techniques submissions etc. from time to time so does catch wrestling.
BJJ invented sophisticated butt dropping techniques, otherwise it is still good old kosen judo. And catch wrestling cannot invent anything because it is dead.

I am still learning judo, there is lots to learn for me both in newaza and tachiwaza.

IJF Judo is basically Kurash with pins and an occasional submission. Freestyle Sambo is the closest thing you're gonna get to well-rounded pajama grappling.

The only 'new' techniques in recent Judo have been reverse seoi nage (the choi) and kata guruma variations without the leg grab.

Good fuckin luck getting new submissions added - they still can't decide if guillotines or triangles 'endanger the neck', they still reward newaza stalling with a standup, and good fuckin' luck getting leg locks back.

As for 'invented' techniques - nothing's been invented. Grappling is thousands of years old. Techniques are simply rediscovered.

During a judo class, I learned how to a bicep slicer but for them it was good pin.

In judo I also learned the traditional way of doing the kimura (kodokan style) which is a wrist lock as well.

There are heaps of gold nuggets because those judokas been doing it for the past 40 years so lot of their stuff is old school.

But old school is the awesome.

IJF Judo is basically Kurash with pins and an occasional submission. Freestyle Sambo is the closest thing you're gonna get to well-rounded pajama grappling.

The only 'new' techniques in recent Judo have been reverse seoi nage (the choi) and kata guruma variations without the leg grab.

Good fuckin luck getting new submissions added - they still can't decide if guillotines or triangles 'endanger the neck', they still reward newaza stalling with a standup, and good fuckin' luck getting leg locks back.

As for 'invented' techniques - nothing's been invented. Grappling is thousands of years old. Techniques are simply rediscovered.

Personally I'm finding the old Gracie style of Jitz to be closer to real Judo than IJF judo. Not scoring wise but the mentality: TD/Throw to dominant position, not over rotating/easily giving your back and no silly leg touching bans.

i worry there's an entire generation of grapplers who are either butt-scooters or people who have never defended a leg takedown...

i worry there's an entire generation of grapplers who are either butt-scooters or people who have never defended a leg takedown...

Butt scooting is actually kind of rare in local tournaments even brown and black belt matches. More likely you see immediate guard pull, shitty takedown or one guy with wrestling/ Mma training beat someone up.

Part of the problem is allowing for leg locks, guillotines and more time on the mat encourage people to pull guard and more time training those submissions than training a sprawl. Especially if they started grappling kind as an adult and didn't wrestle in school.

I actually did get some time to work on a sprawl but I realized pulling guard/ and then sitting up and sweeping like a mini single leg takedown is more efficient and scores. I actually won a couple matches doing that, the guys I beat didn't know how to stop it.

You should take advantage of the lack of knowledge about takedowns in BJJ and win some matches.

BJJ invents new stuff because the current rule set isn't that old, and people training specifically for that rule set is an even more recent development (the guys in the 90s basically all trained for vale tudo, which is why they all had decent TDs and guard pulling was rare). All that happened in sports like Judo, boxing, wrestling, and Muay Thai a long time ago which is why they all have fairly standard technical repertoires (BJJ is heading in that direction too IMO). You do see new things pop up from time to time, but mostly when rule changes occur and people have to adapt to them. For example, the no leg touch kata guruma was basically a new technique (it had been done before, but wasn't really anyone good's go-to), it only became a thing when the IJF banned the better, leg touching version. I don't see too much new being invented for Judo unless they significantly change the rules again.

I really wish they would allow for guillotines, triangles, kimuras, leg attacks etc. Or at least modify the some techniques that require a leg grab, like ouchi gari, kata guruma etc, I can't think of any more lol.

I for one welcome any who would shoot on me because "Judo guys can't defend shots cuz they're illegal now"

It's less new techniques (although there are some, like the reverse seoi and front uchimatas) and more new variations of old techniques.

Most of the "new" judo is learning judo specific metagames.

On a side note: if you've not done it before yourself, then even something 3000 years old is "new".

PS: the description of IJF judo as kurash with pins and a occasional subs is apt. Apt!

Back