New HW Joe Joyce, short fight video, what do you think?

aries

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
The full fight video is below, it's only about a minute long.

Just watched Joe Joyce vs. Donnie Palmer and I have to say that I was very impressed although it didn't last long. I knew Joe Joyce from the olympics (where I think he was robbed of the gold) and what struck me was that he has tremendous work rate for a HW but he seemed like young version of George Foreman in that he looked really robotic but without the power.

But now he's been training with Ismael Salas who used to train Felix Savon and he's looking a lot more explosive and he stopped his man in 38 seconds. Before this he looked like he had no power in his hands so quite a change. And now they are looking for a match up with Chisora. It's only his third fight but it looks like we may have a new HW contender in the mix. Anyway here's the fight which is worth watching:

Last edited:
Was this kid the kid on hayes card? I hope to god he gets away from haye if he wants to progress.

Joyce certainly looked better last night, even fighting a giant sack o shite. He has sparred with the Brits and said Fury was an absolute nightmare.

Was this kid the kid on hayes card? I hope to god he gets away from haye if he wants to progress.

Yeah he is with Haye. Why is Haye so bad? He's talking of getting him a fight with Chisora which is quite an ambitious step up in competition for just 4 fights into your pro career.

The kid is already 32 years old and has a lot of amateur experience, he should move through the ranks rather fast.
The last fight was a bit of a joke, the other guy had no business being in the same ring, compared to his first fight as a pro against Lewison it was a step backwards.

Yeah he is with Haye. Why is Haye so bad? He's talking of getting him a fight with Chisora which is quite an ambitious step up in competition for just 4 fights into your pro career.
Don't get me wrong haye is a very talented boxer but he is well known for having silly pointless fights and not managing his career the best he could. The problem i see with haye and It was evident after this fight, is that haye is too self centred.

Haying rightly had a go at Eddie Hearne stealing bellews thunder through out their promotion of their fight, after this one instead of promoting his fighter started talking his own game up at the kids event. he to me is one of the most self absorbed people in boxing. I don't fancy him as a decent promoter.

I think giving him chisora at this point is a step too far.

Yeah I think it's quite a big step up to fight Chisora in your 4th fight. But Chisora doesn't hit that hard and Joe has a tremendous gas tank. It could be a proper war which I could see Joe winning. Proper gamble though.

I heard they're putting him against Takam. Chisora is a big fight too and we'll see from what he is made off.

Either of those guys might well take him deep and drown him.

Now that Tony Yoka, Joe Joyce and Daniel Dubois are in the picture I think heavyweight is looking really good. A lot of potential. Usyk should be moving soon as well.

The full fight video is below, it's only about a minute long.

Just watched Joe Joyce vs. Donnie Palmer and I have to say that I was very impressed although it didn't last long. I knew Joe Joyce from the olympics (where I think he was robbed of the gold) and what struck me was that he has tremendous work rate for a HW but he seemed like young version of George Foreman in that he looked really robotic but without the power.

But now he's been training with Ismael Salas who used to train Felix Savon and he's looking a lot more explosive and he stopped his man in 38 seconds. Before this he looked like he had no power in his hands so quite a change. And now they are looking for a match up with Chisora. It's only his third fight but it looks like we may have a new HW contender in the mix. Anyway here's the fight which is worth watching:

Yeah he was definately screwed over at the Olympics. He’s faced decent competition so far. Ian lewison was his first fight so they are looking at moving him pretty quickly, probably due to his age. I didn’t think he’d transituon too well as I thought he’d lack power but he looks like have some spite with the smaller gloves on. Also didn’t realise he was 6ft 6. He’s a really likeable fella,hope he does well

His best assets are probably his work rate and his gas tank, he has some power and could be devastating in the later rounds when he wears his opponents down.
Seems to be a genuinely nice guy, you could say the same about Daniel Dubois (who's still green and has a lot to learn).
Joyce got outclassed by Usyk when they fought in WSB.

His best assets are probably his work rate and his gas tank, he has some power and could be devastating in the later rounds when he wears his opponents down.
Seems to be a genuinely nice guy, you could say the same about Daniel Dubois (who's still green and has a lot to learn).
Joyce got outclassed by Usyk when they fought in WSB.

Thanks for the video man, never seen this before. Joyce has serious problems with technique. He doesn't sit down on his punches and he is 32 and commentators said he started boxing five years ago so I don't see much room for improvement.

Usyk on the other hand has a problem that instead of using his movement (which gives him lots of succes when he does) he has this tendency to go toe to toe with the opponent and then gets hit a lot. I don't see him beating Joshua or Wilder but he would give anybody else at heavyweight lots of trouble with that tricky movement. I see him taking decision wins against the likes of Povetkin or Parker.

Thanks for the video man, never seen this before. Joyce has serious problems with technique. He doesn't sit down on his punches and he is 32 and commentators said he started boxing five years ago so I don't see much room for improvement.

Usyk on the other hand has a problem that instead of using his movement (which gives him lots of succes when he does) he has this tendency to go toe to toe with the opponent and then gets hit a lot. I don't see him beating Joshua or Wilder but he would give anybody else at heavyweight lots of trouble with that tricky movement. I see him taking decision wins against the likes of Povetkin or Parker.
Yes, Joyce isn't a great technical fighter, maybe he has improved a bit, but he's someone who's best at outworking his opponents/wearing them down.
I agree on Usyk, for me that's his weakness when it comes to fighting at HW, he can be drawn into a brawl, it was already a bit of a problem in his last fight.

I think he beats Chisora. And looking at his age (I thought he was at leats 10 years younger) he should fight someone like Chisora. He isn't old for a HW and seems to still be imrpoving but Chisora is beatable for him especially with how inconsistent Chisora is

He seems reasonably strong and skilled. He will probably have a lot of success, but I dont think he will ever beat the current beltmen.

Back