New homo, Homo Naledi, discovered

still cant believe they named the other one "homo erectus"

like i know the name makes sense scientifically, and is referring that it stood up on 2 legs but those scientists KNEW they were fucking over every science teacher who had to cover that subject

original_plain_venetian_mirror.jpg

I can't see any way of escaping the conclusion that they buried their dead intentionally, more than a million years ago, which is a bit of a blow-the-lid-off moment for anthropology.

I can't see any way of escaping the conclusion that they buried their dead intentionally, more than a million years ago, which is a bit of a blow-the-lid-off moment for anthropology.

Likely did it to get rid of the smell.

^It's pronounced "Nee-chur sores" not "negro-sores".

<{1-1}>

Likely did it to get rid of the smell.
That was my thought as well (and it's probably the actual first reason for burial practices), but the caving required to get to the "burial chamber" in this cave is a bit interesting.

02_ngm_1015_mm8345_mystery_man_gfx.jpg

The Superman's Crawl may not have been so tight back then, but as far as they can tell, the ceiling beyond it has stayed intact, and the Dragon's Back could not have grown up in a million years. So it's likely that this is basically the same cave that it used to be. The chamber is a great place to put a body to conceal the smell, but imagine how this little caving journey becomes a sort of ritual over time. They had to take some care with their dead. Hopefully they excavate some of the chamber just before the burial chamber to determine whether bodies were once left there and then later moved. Linking early, intentional burial practices with hominids is a fucking spectacular find.

That was my thought as well (and it's probably the actual first reason for burial practices), but the caving required to get to the "burial chamber" in this cave is a bit interesting.

02_ngm_1015_mm8345_mystery_man_gfx.jpg

The Superman's Crawl may not have been so tight back then, but as far as they can tell, the ceiling beyond it has stayed intact, and the Dragon's Back could not have grown up in a million years. So it's likely that this is basically the same cave that it used to be. The chamber is a great place to put a body to conceal the smell, but imagine how this little caving journey becomes a sort of ritual over time. They had to take some care with their dead. Hopefully they excavate some of the chamber just before the burial chamber to determine whether bodies were once left there and then later moved. Linking early, intentional burial practices with hominids is a fucking spectacular find.

[
2lvbkv8.jpg

That's what she said.

Um, why is she getting deep in the dark zone? She sounds like quite the explorer. Can you sit down okay?

You've not lived until you've discovered the mysteries buried deep in the dark zone.

Back