New heavy bag considerations

Jonathan Mohr

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new heavy bag, my old everlast bag has some rock hard cement areas that prevent me from throwing any body shots, It's served me well for a $70 Craigslist buy, but it is time for an upgrade.

I am considering an angle bag so I can throw in some uppercut work, thinking 80-100lb, I weigh in at 170lb. Any reason to pick a traditional heavy bag over an angle bag?

As for brands, I am looking at the PRO brands (PRO Boxing equipment, PROlast, and PRO Boxing Supply), as well as Outslayer and Fairtex. Haven't been able to find any reviews on PROLAST bags, they look very similar to the other brands, but a little better priced I think, so I am tempted to give them a go.

Any input or experience appreciated!

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new heavy bag, my old everlast bag has some rock hard cement areas that prevent me from throwing any body shots, It's served me well for a $70 Craigslist buy, but it is time for an upgrade.

I am considering an angle bag so I can throw in some uppercut work, thinking 80-100lb, I weigh in at 170lb. Any reason to pick a traditional heavy bag over an angle bag?

As for brands, I am looking at the PRO brands (PRO Boxing equipment, PROlast, and PRO Boxing Supply), as well as Outslayer and Fairtex. Haven't been able to find any reviews on PROLAST bags, they look very similar to the other brands, but a little better priced I think, so I am tempted to give them a go.

Out of the brands you named, I would just go with whatever is the cheapest. I think all of them are cloth-filled.

Hi all,

Did you try taking the bag down, flipping it upside down and hitting it with a baseball bat to soften it up.

<Kpop01> .

Did you try taking the bag down, flipping it upside down and hitting it with a baseball bat to soften it up

Yeah, have beat the heck out of it with a wood splitting maul, had no real effect, the sand in there is solidified like cement, doesn't want to move, I have considered emptying it and restuffing, but don't want to be left with NO heavy bag for how long it might take me to properly restuff it, as I've never filled a heavy bag.

I would like to get a new bag and then try emptying and refilling it, and see how it turns out. Then I either have two bags, or maybe donate it to the gym where I train, most of their bags are in pretty bad shape. I just don't want to donate them a bag that could potentially injury someone's hands.

Yeah, have beat the heck out of it with a wood splitting maul, had no real effect, the sand in there is solidified like cement, doesn't want to move, I have considered emptying it and restuffing, but don't want to be left with NO heavy bag for how long it might take me to properly restuff it, as I've never filled a heavy bag.

I would like to get a new bag and then try emptying and refilling it, and see how it turns out. Then I either have two bags, or maybe donate it to the gym where I train, most of their bags are in pretty bad shape. I just don't want to donate them a bag that could potentially injury someone's hands.

Take the sand out and fill and pack it with shredded cloth.

Sand bags are no good for everyday training IMO unless you are conditioning shins or something.

Take the sand out and fill and pack it with shredded cloth.

Sand bags are no good for everyday training IMO unless you are conditioning shins or something.
Sounds like a good plan, as soon as I have another bag to train on, I will do that with my current bag. I have lots of old clothes I can shred up, and I'm sure lots of the filling currently in the bag can be reused, just need to get all the sand out of there.

Sounds like a good plan, as soon as I have another bag to train on, I will do that with my current bag. I have lots of old clothes I can shred up, and I'm sure lots of the filling currently in the bag can be reused, just need to get all the sand out of there.

Sure. Shred it up and pack it with a baseball bat. It will prob be great for practicing hooks .

Last edited:
outslayer is amazing ive had the same banana bag for years and not only does it hold up but the material doesnt settle and sink down from wailing on it overtime. I hate using other bags at this point because outslayer ruined me for everything else

Heard nothing but good things about Outslayer, but I can get a Prolast bag for $100.00 less, is the Outslayer bag worth that much more in your opinion?

Heard nothing but good things about Outslayer, but I can get a Prolast bag for $100.00 less, is the Outslayer bag worth that much more in your opinion?
I have Outslayer. If the Prolast is cloth-filled, then it will probably not be much different from the Outslayer...

For the angle bag, Prolast website says:
"Each bag is hand-stuffed with a custom blend of materials (no sawdust or paper!) Won't settle!"

For their standard heavy bag:
"Professionally compressed filled with 100% shredded cotton fabric"

I am considering an angle bag, no one has tried to talk me out of it yet...

For the angle bag, Prolast website says:
"Each bag is hand-stuffed with a custom blend of materials (no sawdust or paper!) Won't settle!"

For their standard heavy bag:
"Professionally compressed filled with 100% shredded cotton fabric"

I am considering an angle bag, no one has tried to talk me out of it yet...
It’s your life. You make your own choices. You make your own mistakes.

Jk.

I’d get the traditional bag.

There. I said it.

Ok well for a traditional bag, Outslayer and Prolast are the same price, opening up a whole new
can 'o' worms... Guess I should probably go with Outslayer as there are tons of great reviews, whereas I haven't really found any info on Prolast good or bad.

Think I'm gonna get a traditional bag and an aqua bag to work uppercuts.

This is my setup.

I hope you are just buying a buoy and not the aqua bag itself.
Yes, looking at either a Taylor Made or Polyform Buoy, not sure if there is any difference in quality or durability, cost is almost the same. Think I can get a Polyform buoy for about $5 less.

Hmm, well, I have the Taylor Made and they have worked well. Impression I get is that the Polyform might be slightly more difficult to get water into (but not sure).

Hi all,

Did you get your bag yet ?

Sorry for the res but I don't have permissions to post a new thread. Ordered a 150lbs bag specifically because it was 150lbs but it is only 116lbs. Is this normal for heavy bags to be significantly lighter than advertised weight? Appreciate any info.

Back