New Gov't Data: 53,000 DACA Recipients Already had an Arrest Record When DACA Status Was Granted

Article breaks it all down pretty well. Just seems to be a matter of using our best judgement in the approval process and not universally denying people accused but not convicted, or convicted of something minor. As long as the cases are appropriately reviewed and we hold ourselves accountable, the results will bear it out. I don’t find the numbers that staggering considering the inherent circumstances of the people and the system itself.

Should highlight that the article notes there’s no dates accompanying the numbers here, so we don’t know if these people were approved under Obama or Trump.

Maybe we can use that as a good reason not to immediately make this partisan.

Lmao “you don’t find th number staggering given circumstances”

There are a fucking murderers and rapists in there.

You’re pathetic.

Try getting status in another country with those records

According to Francis Cicina The actual number is 13% not 8%

@Rational Poster said we should treat everyone as individuals. It's hard to understand what he meant in this context.

I suppose he meant that it is wrong to talk about DACA recipients as a group. But that seems silly since We the People, through our representative (President Obama), are the ones who defined this group. The group of the DACA eligible was defined as those illegal aliens who were born before day X and arrived in the US before day Y and who meet other qualifications Z.

If we can create standards for entry into the group (so that we don't give protection to bad actors), why can't we look back at the group in retrospect and see where we went wrong?

What he meant was instead of saying "you have a record, you're out" to look at it in a holistic manner, considerate of all circumstances. That doesn't mean no standards at all, it means look at the people as individuals.

What he meant was instead of saying "you have a record, you're out" to look at it in a holistic manner, considerate of all circumstances. That doesn't mean no standards at all, it means look at the people as individuals.

Looking at it "holistically", under which circumstances would you admit a man who had already been arrested more than 10 times?

Dude.. My ex is Albanian serb mix. Her Albanian friends that come here as older teens are scumbags. Had they grown up in a suburb like I did, they would have had petty records a mile long. They become cops and do other jobs that require clean records, and it annoys me.

The Africans at my law school laughed about it. Character and fitness for Americans is ridiculous; like offensively ridiculous. If you are from Africa, you need like a one page signed letter not even from an official agency to say you were not an arch criminal. The bar examiners don't have the connections over there, so those dudes get a pass.

Looking at it "holistically", under which circumstances would you admit a man who had already been arrested more than 10 times?

What are the crimes?

I know perfectly functional people with records twice as long, the length of the rap sheet doesn't scare me.

It's a bullshit statistic as in...you don't believe it to be true? You think I'm making it up?
No, it just doesn't tell me anything meaningful.

For example, we just discussed that these same people have remarkably low rates of DUIs. If we weigh context, that makes sense. Illegals will be less likely to go out into public where they are more likely to get caught. They are less likely to drive because (up until recently) they couldn't get a driver's license, and would risk serious consequences regardless of sobriety.

Simultaneously, what does that matter? This was their burden, and they rose to the challenge. They lived their lives, contributed what they contributed, participated in our economy, and came out ahead. I suppose if I wanted to play the devil's advocate, I could nitpick about DUIs per road-miles driven, or some other metric impossible to gauge, but it doesn't matter: not to this assessment. Participation in the economy as a matter of fuel expenditures or restaurant patronage are separate matters.

Meanwhile, same context with college, it makes sense that they wouldn't pursue careers in institutions that demand paperwork and identification. It makes sense that if they come from extreme poverty, and I think we can safely assume most border jumpers aren't carrying a bank on their backs for their kids, it is more sensible to compare them to native (or other immigrants) of similar socioeconomic background, and households where the parents may not speak English-- a temporary handicap.

More saliently, what is the face value of that? Going to college doesn't carry an inherent value of its own. It's what you do with it. It is correlated to a higher rate of success or achievement, but it isn't an achievement unto itself. On the other hand, not crowding our roads with intoxicated drivers is itself an achievement directly improving the social good.
As for your second claim, I'm skeptical of degrees and schooling as a proxy for excellence. But you are the one who was using the wishy-washy "excellence" language, which many people tend to associate with schooling. I think your readers would have a clearer idea of what you're referring to if you would define your terms.

You're rambling again. No one mentioned Trump supporters.
"Excellence" is a reminder to any who evaluate things through a prism of cultural superiority and inferiority (i.e. "The West"). This describes most of Trump's base. I don't have a problem with this, but I don't close my eyes to those times when we don't come out on top, culturally speaking.

For example, we just discussed that these same people have remarkably low rates of DUIs. If we weigh context, that makes sense. Illegals will be less likely to go out into public where they are more likely to get caught.

The best evidence we have is that illegal immigrants have higher-than-average DUI rates. MSM has promoted a dubious econometric study on the matter, but here we have a longitudinal study of a real population.

Drinking and Driving Among Undocumented Latino Immigrants in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26514148

"Excellence" is a reminder to any who evaluate things through a prism of cultural superiority and inferiority (i.e. "The West"). This describes most of Trump's base. I don't have a problem with this, but I don't close my eyes to those times when we don't come out on top, culturally speaking.

"The West" is a coherent notion and need not imply "superiority" or "excellence". There exist huge cultural differences between regions of the world which are based on history, language, climate, genetics, and time living separately. Some cultures are fundamentally incompatible.

I also have seen no evidence for your claim that the superior/inferior worldview describes most of Trump's base. What's your evidence for that?

Why does the left try to spin this?

You would think that not granting dangerous criminals citizenship would be common sense.

53,000 people who have been approved for DACA (about 8% of the total number of DACA recipients) had an arrest record when the government granted them status.

• 10 had been arrested for murder
  • 31 had rape charges on their records
  • Almost 500 had been accused of sex crimes
  • Over 2,000 had been arrested on charges of drunk driving
  • Two dozen won DACA status despite having more than 10 arrests on their record. More than 1,200 others had been arrested between five and nine times.
You might be wondering why these people are eligible for DACA despite these arrest records. It's because DACA’s eligibility requirements focus only on felony convictions and convictions for "significant misdemeanors". So someone who was arrested 15 times, including for rape and murder, would still be DACA-eligible so long as he could plea down to a misdemeanor for a lesser offense.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/new...c&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Monday, June 18, 2018
Ten people who’d been arrested on murder charges were nonetheless granted permission to remain and work in the U.S. under the Obama-era DACA amnesty, according to new government data released Monday.

Thirty-one “Dreamers” had rape charges on their records, nearly 500 had been accused of sex crimes, and more than 2,000 had been arrested for drunken driving — yet were approved for DACA status.

All told, 53,000 people who have been approved for DACA — 7 percent of the total — had a criminal record when the government granted them status. Nearly 8,000 racked up criminal charges after they’d been approved, according to the data from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

DACA turned six years old on Friday and is back in the news as the House of Representatives begins to debate whether to grant a broad amnesty to Dreamers, and as courts across the country grapple with the legality of the 2012 program.

The new data will likely affect both the legislative and court action, since it gives some indications of the levels of screening, and waivers, the government is willing to offer for Dreamers who apply.

All told more than 888,000 people have applied for DACA status over the years. Of those, more than 770,000 were approved. Nearly 67,000 were rejected — and of those, about 31 percent had criminal records, the data show.

The new data looks at arrests.

DACA’s eligibility requirements, though, were written to focus on convictions.

Under the rules laid out by the Obama administration, which are unchanged under President Trump, someone with a felony conviction, a “significant” misdemeanor or three non-significant misdemeanors was supposed to be ineligible.

“You have to have a conviction. You can be arrested a whole lot of times and get DACA,” USCIS Director Francis Cissna told Fox News.

Many traffic offenses, including driving without a license, don’t count against someone applying for DACA.

In theory, any criminal history at all, even if it didn’t cross the conviction thresholds, could have led to a discretionary denial. But the number of people approved with lengthy records suggests that didn’t always happen.

Two dozen Dreamers won DACA despite having more than 10 arrests on their record. More than 1,200 others had been arrested between five and nine times.

The new data didn’t break down the arrests or approvals by year so it’s not clear how many Dreamers with major arrests were approved during the Obama administration and how many came under Mr. Trump

The House this week is slated to debate an immigration bill that would grant citizenship rights to those in the DACA program, as well as perhaps 1 million other illegal immigrants.

The bill, like the DACA program, relies on convictions rather than arrests, so the Dreamers with more than 10 arrests and those with rape, murder and sex crime arrests could be eligible.

The GOP bill also specifically allows illegal immigrants convicted of smuggling people into the U.S. — a felony charge — to claim citizenship.

The reason for that exception is not clear, though smuggling cartels had increasingly seemed to be recruiting DACA recipients as drivers to smuggle illegal immigrants, judging by a spate of arrests earlier this year.

In one case Alejandro Castro, guilty of smuggling in San Diego, was sentenced to time served.

The crime carries a penalty of up to 10 years.

In Arizona, Saul Rodea Castro pleaded guilty and was sentenced to time served for smuggling four men from Mexico. He was the pickup man for a cartel that had arranged for the Mexicans to be smuggled across the border, at a cost of up to $8,000 per person.

In Texas DACA recipient David Luna-Martinez is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty in April to carrying two illegal immigrants from Mexico for a smuggler.
The specific ones you listed account for less than 1%, so what accounts for the other roughly 50k arrests?

Arrests are not the same as conviction.

Do you really think someone convicted of first degree murder would be granted DACA status?

The specific ones you listed account for less than 1%, so what accounts for the other roughly 50k arrests?

Seriously, the article throws out 53,000 then proceeds to only talk about 3,000.

I'm thinking the other 50,000 don't exactly fit the alarmist narrative.

Of course these numbers are an ass-pull from a Conservative source.

(From Wikipedia):
Political stance and content[edit]
The Washington Times holds a conservative political stance.[72][73][74][75] The Washington Post reported, "The Times was established by Moon to combat communismand be a conservative alternative to what he perceived as the liberal leanings of The Washington Post. Since then, the paper has fought to prove its editorial independence, trying to demonstrate that it is neither a "Moonie paper" nor a booster of the political right but rather a fair and balanced reporter of the news."[12]

Conservative commentator Paul Weyrich said, "The Washington Post became very arrogant and they just decided that they would determine what was news and what wasn't news and they wouldn't cover a lot of things that went on. And the Washington Times has forced the Post to cover a lot of things that they wouldn't cover if the Timeswasn't in existence."[76]

In 2007, the progressive magazine Mother Jones said that the Times had become "essential reading for political news junkies" soon after its founding, and described the paper as a "conservative newspaper with close ties to every Republican administration since Reagan."[77]

In a 2008 Harper's Magazine essay criticizing American conservatism, liberal historian[78] Thomas Frank linked the Times to the modern American conservative movement, saying, "There is even a daily newspaper—the Washington Times—published strictly for the movement's benefit, a propaganda sheet whose distortions are so obvious and so alien that it puts one in mind of those official party organs one encounters when traveling in authoritarian countries."[79]

In 2009, The New York Times reported, "With its conservative editorial bent, the paper also became a crucial training ground for many rising conservative journalists and a must-read for those in the movement. A veritable who's who of conservatives—Tony Blankley, Frank J. Gaffney Jr., Larry Kudlow, John Podhoretz and Tony Snow—has churned out copy for its pages."[48]

Climate change denial[edit]
The Washington Times has published a number of columns that promote climate change denial.[80][81][82] One of these columns was characterized by climate scientists "misleading and in disagreement with elementary science."[83][81] In 2015, The Washington Times published a column by Lamar Smith where he argued that the work of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration was "not good science, [but] science fiction."[82] In 2010, The Washington Times published an article claiming that February 2010 snow storms "Undermin[e] The Case For Global Warming One Flake At A Time".[84] In 2014, The Washington Times said that a NASA scientist claimed that global warming was on a "hiatus" and that NASA had found evidence of global cooling; Rebecca Leber of the New Republic said that the NASA scientist in question said the opposite of what The Washington Times claimed.[85]

Murder of Seth Rich conspiracy theories[edit]
The Washington Times promoted false conspiracy theories surrounding the murder of Seth Rich, a DNC staffer.[75] A March 2018 commentary piece in The Washington Times said it was "well known in intelligence circles that Seth Rich and his brother, Aaron Rich, downloaded the DNC emails and was paid by Wikileaks for that information."[75] The piece cited no evidence for the assertion.[75][86] Aaron Rich, the brother of Seth Rich and a subject of the false claim, filed a lawsuit against The Washington Times, saying that the news outlet acted with "reckless disregard for the truth" and that it did not retract or remove the piece after "receiving notice of the falsity of the statements about Aaron after the publication".[75][87][86][88]

Obama conspiracy theories and falsehoods[edit]
In 2008, The Washington Times published a column by Frank Gaffney that promoted the false conspiracy theories that President Barack Obama was born in Kenya and was courting the "jihadist vote."[89][90][91][92][93] In 2009 and 2010, the newspaper published pieces promoting the false claim that Obama was a Muslim.[90][93]

In 2016, The Washington Times published an article that claimed $3.6 million of taxpayer money was spent on President Obama going on an outing with golfer Tiger Woods in 2013.[94] Snopes rated the article "mostly false", as the estimated cost included both official business travel and a brief presidential vacation in Florida.

You would think that not granting dangerous criminals citizenship would be common sense.

These people will happily give MS-13 and people smugglers a free reign just so they can feel like they've got one over on Trump and bask in their smug self satisfaction.

Couldn't an argument be made a fair amount of these arrests might be bullshit MIP, weed possession, and like escalated arguments with their parentals?

That's what most kids get arrested for.

Couldn't an argument be made a fair amount of these arrests might be bullshit MIP, weed possession, and like escalated arguments with their parentals?

That's what most kids get arrested for.

A fair ammount, sure.

But not Rape, murder and sex crimes.

Back