New Game Plus - new trend in video games

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Actually not so new because Diablo was first game that came out with this idea.

So what is NG+? NG+ is a feature that allows you to replay campaign on higher difficulty WHILE carrying over certain items from previous playthrough. In Dark Souls series you could carry over all gear, items and skills. NG+ usually also unlocks extra content such as new items or upgraded versions, new quests that were not available in first playthrough.

Personally I think it's a great addition to multiplayer games and I'm actually happy that producers decided to extend this feature to single player games as well. That gives extra value for the money spend on game.

I think most games could follow the suit but it would have to be done properly.

Do you think this idea is good? Bad? What games would you like to see with this feature?

upload_2017-10-22_12-44-30.png

Might want to change your thread title, as most will likely just skip the first sentence in your post, and commence with trolling you for calling it a "new" feature.

Anyways, yeah it's always a great little bonus at the end of games. I think the Souls series does it the best.

It was a fun feature in The Last of Us.

I'm of the few. Once I complete it, I don't want to go back to it.

Super Nintendo games had this and I'm sure there were older pc games with a version of new game +. It makes replaying some games that would otherwise be pointless to replay desirable. It also opens up games in a way that makes the first play through seem like a tutorial... I for one approve...

Its far from a new feature.

It was perfectly implimented in Mass Effect 2. Playing from the beginning with everything upgraded, was sweet.

But, in modern gaming, I bet it'll soon be a microtransaction.

I really enjoyed it in Dishonored 2 ; game was way more fun having both Corvo and Emily's powers at your disposal. Overall I think it's a really cool feature which can give a game an exciting replay and I'm all for it. I can't really imagine there being any down side to it.

they have this in Metal Gear Solid

you can take stealth and unlimited ammo and unlock Extreme mode

Actually not so new because Diablo was first game that came out with this idea.
Chrono Trigger had NG+ back on SNES and that was released 1 year prior to Diablo.

Anyways, my thoughts on NG+ playthroughs (or the option to do one) is that it is a nice feature depending on if things change or not. In the Souls series, bosses gain more damage and health for example and in 3, only certain rings could be accessed after 2 playthroughs. Things like that give a game more replayability for completionists such as myself.

However, if it is simply the same game and you just get to keep all of your old gear, there is very little point to playing through again.

Back