New figther here, Fairtex BGV1 or Fairtex BGV4 for starts?

Jack_Khorver

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Greatings fellow fighters! I just started kickboxing (loving it so far). My teacher (who has been national light kick champion here in Portugal) says it is normal to bring our own 10 oz gloves to competitions and advised me to buy them for:
Very light sparring/bag/pads.

Soo basically im looking for some fine all around gloves (yes the money is tight for the moment soo i cant afford 2 pairs of gloves right of the bat).
My choices are either Fairtex BGV1 or Fairtex BGV4.

Since im buying a 10 oz (which everyone seems to say that looks like a 8 oz since they look soo small compared to other brands) i guess i should buy the BGV4 cause i read they follow the BGV1's model but are just wider in size and have a longer cuff.

Ive read a similar topic here but no one seemed to have ever actually seen Fairtex BGV4 for real, do any of you own this pair ? Thanks and merry christmas!

Actually haven't seen a BGV4 myself, but heard they use the exact same padding, only longer cuff plus a grip bar.

The BGV4 is really unpopular, contrast to how popular the BGV1 is, so there might be a reason behind that. (Idk of course)

Sorry for not being very helpful. Only thing I know is the BGV1 are solid all purpose gloves.

But maybe if you are more of a boxer, go with BGV4, whilst more of a kicker go with BGV1?

Actually haven't seen a BGV4 myself, but heard they use the exact same padding, only longer cuff plus a grip bar.

The BGV4 is really unpopular, contrast to how popular the BGV1 is, so there might be a reason behind that. (Idk of course)

Sorry for not being very helpful. Only thing I know is the BGV1 are solid all purpose gloves.

But maybe if you are more of a boxer, go with BGV4, whilst more of a kicker go with BGV1?

Makes sense since they are bigger, do you think not having a grip on the BGV1 is better ? Or should i get the breathable version? (Which has a grip bar)

To be fair, without a grip bar is a little strange, but it really doesn't bother me, maybe like a 10% difference, of course given the option I'd like a grip bar 100%.

However between the "breathable" version and the original, I'd opt for the original 100%.

Just not a fan of the mesh palm, soak up sweat, takes longer to dry, so hard to clean and really not breathable as advertised. Also not as durable as leather. Just not worth it for a grip bar imo.

On top of that you have just started training, you probably won't feel the lack of grip bar, as everything is relatively new to you?

To be fair, without a grip bar is a little strange, but it really doesn't bother me, maybe like a 10% difference, of course given the option I'd like a grip bar 100%.

However between the "breathable" version and the original, I'd opt for the original 100%.

Just not a fan of the mesh palm, soak up sweat, takes longer to dry, so hard to clean and really not breathable as advertised. Also not as durable as leather. Just not worth it for a grip bar imo.

On top of that you have just started training, you probably won't feel the lack of grip bar, as everything is relatively new to you?

Exactly

Yeah, its my first pair soo i could aswell get used to it from the start, also i heard it was better for clinching right ?

Exactly

Yeah, its my first pair soo i could aswell get used to it from the start, also i heard it was better for clinching right ?

Yep, they are. But kickboxing technically doesn't clinch right? Since no elbows and knees.

Yep, they are. But kickboxing technically doesn't clinch right? Since no elbows and knees.
Yeah, but i did mean it for Muay Thai just in case i ever get into it, i find it even more exciting !

I like not having a grip bar since I have my BGV1. With wraps you can create one without trouble.

And +1 for BGV1. Awesome gloves.

Have BGV 4 and love them. The whole glove is bigger, more finger room. Ironically I never had the BGV 1 so cant compare. Bought two pairs of BGV 4 , the first one had a quality controll issue with the leather wrinkeling which was only optical, the second is amazing. The leather wrinkeling was not only on the BGV 4 model.

In short - BGV 4 for large hands, average / medium BGV 1.

Have BGV 4 and love them. The whole glove is bigger, more finger room. Ironically I never had the BGV 1 so cant compare. Bought two pairs of BGV 4 , the first one had a quality controll issue with the leather wrinkeling which was only optical, the second is amazing. The leather wrinkeling was not only on the BGV 4 model.

In short - BGV 4 for large hands, average / medium BGV 1.

Those are like unicorn gloves i couldnt find any reviews of them at all ahah, thanks!

I like not having a grip bar since I have my BGV1. With wraps you can create one without trouble.

And +1 for BGV1. Awesome gloves.
Guess ill go with the original BGV1 then, im just starting Kickboxing soo i guess ill get used to the lack of a grip bar and i heard the mesh makes the gloves less durable after some time, thanks!

Guess ill go with the original BGV1 then, im just starting Kickboxing soo i guess ill get used to the lack of a grip bar and i heard the mesh makes the gloves less durable after some time, thanks!

Welcome. I will use the BGV 4 for a few more months and then write a proper review.

By the way sorry probably a dumb question but ... The thumb is attached right ?

By the way sorry probably a dumb question but ... The thumb is attached right ?

BGV1? Yes. and kinda like a straight thumb which I don't think you will move it much either.

Oh and not a dumb question, it's a common question to ask.

Back