Movies DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES (Sequel Possible, Post #247; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
if you got the main licence from Hasbro could they get drizzt or dragonlance and aim for trilogy or more....

My thoughts as well.

This movie sounds terrible and once again aimed at either 10 year olds or simply utter morons.

They ought to pull a real director and put Dragonlance on the silver screen. Those are the best of the D&D properties, in my opinion.

Define "any actor" - sounds to me like it'll be a generic fantasy with a bunch of people that are in every other teen movie out there.

My thoughts as well.

This movie sounds terrible and once again aimed at either 10 year olds or simply utter morons.

They ought to pull a real director and put Dragonlance on the silver screen. Those are the best of the D&D properties, in my opinion.
Although I agree with both you guys and am a huge Dragonlance fan, you got to understand that D & D is a marginal trend. Dragonlance is the "hardcore" side of the trend: if you name D & D to casuals, they know what it is but only 1 on 100 will know what Dragonlance is. Making a movie for hardcore fans is the best way to flop and never have the opportunity again.

If they make a more "casual-friendly" movie and it's successful, it might open the door for a more ambitious project like Dragonlance. Nevertheless, I predict it will bomb.

Although I agree with both you guys and am a huge Dragonlance fan, you got to understand that D & D is a marginal trend. Dragonlance is the "hardcore" side of the trend: if you name D & D to casuals, they know what it is but only 1 on 100 will know what Dragonlance is. Making a movie for hardcore fans is the best way to flop and never have the opportunity again.

If they make a more "casual-friendly" movie and it's successful, it might open the door for a more ambitious project like Dragonlance. Nevertheless, I predict it will bomb.

It will definitely bomb, as they're clearly going for another awful "kid friendly" film.

at the same time you can't just call it Dungeons & dragons and expect it to sell. You have to be creative with the title, I'd say try to avoid the realm name and dungeons of dragons all together for the most part.

Like if doing a Drizzt movie, The Legend of Drizzt: The Crystal Shard. Then push that it is a fantasy movie from best selling author etc.

Update: February 23, 2016

New D&D Movie Will Have Guardians of the Galaxy Tone in Tolkien-Like Universe

Dungeons-and-Dragons-Party-022316-Dragonlord.jpg

Producer Roy Lee has some interesting ideas with how to bring the Dungeons & Dragons game to the big screen. He spoke to Collider recently about the film during an exclusive interview at DICE 2016, and the approach is sure to raise some eyebrows:

“This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before.”

“I think it will really be moving forward quickly, and I don’t anticipate it not getting greenlit this year, mostly because Warner Bros. has DC now, and LEGO, and the Harry Potter universe that’s being cultivated as their franchises. I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds.”

As for how much this will pull from the source material, Lee says they’re going deep, and, “everyone who’s involved with it now, especially the writer of the first draft is a fan from the very beginning starting with Chainmail, which turned into Dungeons & Dragons, so you’ll see things that are very faithful to the source material as well as new elements are being incorporated with help from Wizards of the Coast, who are giving a lot of input on the script.”

Lee also revealed that the movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm. He also said that the Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”

Finally, he confirmed what common sense would lead us to believe, which is that this is an ensemble picture, a smart move since D&D is a group game about building a story with your friends.

Exclusive: New ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ Movie Will Be Like ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ in a Tolkien-Like Universe

I know absolutely nothing about D&D, but it seems like it would be a smarter move to have more of a GoT tone and feel. That's what people want right now.

Update: April 7, 2017

Joe Manganiello Has Written a DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Movie and Shopping It Around

Joe-Manganiello-Dungeons-and-Dragons-Dragonlord.jpg

If you are one of the millions of players who dabble with Dungeons & Dragons, then you should know Joe Manganiello has your back. The openly geeky star took time to get with his D&D friends and, apparently, the star is wanting to take his hobby to a whole new level.

In a recent interview with MTV, Manganiello said he was shopping around a pitch for a D&D film.

“Last year with a playwright I went to Carnegie Mellon with, I actually made a draft of a film, and now we're talking to all the right parties,” the star revealed. “I had a two-day creative summit with the Wizards of the Coast...we had like a two-day summit about where the movie could go or TV series, products, synergy, the whole deal.”

A little later on, Manganiello said he was drawn to the spectacle and camaraderie of D&D projects. “Obviously there's a spectacle. There's dragons, breathing fire and lightning. That's the biggest draw in Game of Thrones...[but] what makes a great fantasy or superhero movie is the human aspect. It's gotta be about something. We root for those characters in Game of Thrones. Fellowship of the Ring was about friendship and this undying love for your friends and doing anything for your friends, and I think that's something people can identify with.”

“I think when a movie is about something human and real emotionally, people are wanna go see it. And then if you get some dragons and breathing fire, I mean, hey.”

Joe Manganiello Is Shopping Around A Dungeons & Dragons Movie

He gonna be disappointed if he centers too much on the flashy dragon theme.

I hope he does it well. There's a lot of great potential for film in that world.

I enjoyed the 1st one & liked the comic relief of Wayans (it's been a while, I think that was the 1st one) but I didn't care for the one after that. It looks like this is a new project not keying off of the previous movies though anyway.

Well I just got a nerd boner.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say Stranger Things ends up being a better D&D movie than whatever this guy comes up with.

Update: February 20, 2018

NIGHTWING Director Chris McKay in Talks to Direct DUNGEONS & DRAGONS

Chris McKay, who recently directed “The Lego Batman Movie” pic for Warner Bros., is in negotiations to direct “Dungeons & Dragons” for Paramount Pictures.

Michael Gillio will be penning the script. Hasbro’s Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis are producing. The pic will be one of the first projects to go into production for the newly created AllSpark Pictures. Launched last October, production company aims to transform itself into an industry player to rival Marvel Studios.

Hasbro’s lines of toys and games include Mr. Potato Head, Monopoly and My Little Pony. Its products have inspired films with varying degrees of success. Paramount and Hasbro could not be reached for comment.

The film has been in development for some time but the lawsuit between Sweetpea Entertainment and Hasbro about ownership of sequel rights delayed progress. Once the settlement was finalized in 2015, Hasbro moved the project from Warner Bros. to Paramount and eventually to AllSpark after announcing the new studio.

McKay has been high on various studios’ lists since helming “The Lego Batman Movie” movie last year; he went on to land the coveted directing job for the Warner Bros. and DC movie “Nightwing.” McKay is also an exec producer on the “The Lego Sequel” which is currently filming.

‘Nightwing’ Director Eyed for ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ at Paramount and AllSpark Pictures (Exclusive)

they better cast Jeremy Irons or I’m out

dungeons and dragons , the real movie, should be directed partially at least, by dNd players, to know what the fuss is about.

Update: July 30, 2019

Jonathan Goldstein, John Francis Daley to Direct DUNGEONS & DRAGONS for Paramount

rEEE8M6.jpg

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley — the duo behind New Line's sleeper hit Game Night — are in talks to direct the long-gestating Dungeons & Dragons movie for Paramount.

Goldstein and Daley, who recently exited Warner Bros.' stand-alone Flash movie, will be replacing Lego Batman director Chris McKay, who was previously attached to direct and is now set for Chris Pratt starrer Ghost Draft.

The role-playing game from Hasbro was previously adapted by New Line in 2000 for a film starring Jeremy Irons. In recent years, the property has been at the center of a legal battle over its film rights, with a 2015 settlement appearing to have paved the way for Warner Bros. to make a movie that at one time had Ansel Elgort in early talks to star. However, the rights eventually left Warners for Paramount, which has a production and distribution deal with Hasbro.

Michael Gilio will pen the screenplay. Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis are producing for AllSpark Pictures, Hasbro's movie arm.

Goldstein and Daley were also behind the screenplays for Spider-Man: Homecoming and Horrible Bosses.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...jonathan-goldstein-john-francis-daley-1228032

In this thread I learned there was a Nightwing movie being made.

I friggin LOVED Game Night. So anything with them behind it automatically has my interest.

Wonder if it'll be based on one of the already written campaigns, like Waterdeep, Storm King's Thunder or Tomb of Annihilation

I loved the cartoon when I was a kid. The movie was alright...

Back