Movies DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES (Sequel Possible, Post #247; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I grew up playing table top RPG's... Best time of my life.

If they base it off a series of books it has to be Drizzt. He has the largest name appeal/following.

The Legends books were amazing. But without the context of the chronicles, they may not be so interesting.

I also liked the "Elven Nations Trilogy".

Maybe a miniseries could do them justice.

I would think they'd need to do a brief backstory for context. Honestly though, that may not even be necessary, as long as you have moments where the characters talk about their past. I don't think Legends is dependent on Chronicles honestly.

If they base it off a series of books it has to be Drizzt. He has the largest name appeal/following.

I think you'd be surprised. Raistlin has a massive cult following. I usually see him mentioned more in DnD story discussions than any other character.

A story about Drizzt could be amazing too though. In my opinion, the books about him are good because of the writing though, rather than a super unique story line, or an amazing plot. I think the Dragonlance story with Raistlin has a more unique story and it's more emotionally driven. At least in my opinion.

I think as a world, Forgotten Realms is the best in the DnD universe, but I think that as far as single stories go, Raistlin's tale takes the cake.

Update: February 23, 2016

New D&D Movie Will Have GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Tone in Tolkien-Like Universe

Dungeons-and-Dragons-Party-022316-Dragonlord.jpg

Producer Roy Lee has some interesting ideas with how to bring the Dungeons & Dragons game to the big screen. He spoke to Collider recently about the film during an exclusive interview at DICE 2016, and the approach is sure to raise some eyebrows:

“This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before.”

“I think it will really be moving forward quickly, and I don’t anticipate it not getting greenlit this year, mostly because Warner Bros. has DC now, and LEGO, and the Harry Potter universe that’s being cultivated as their franchises. I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds.”

As for how much this will pull from the source material, Lee says they’re going deep, and, “everyone who’s involved with it now, especially the writer of the first draft is a fan from the very beginning starting with Chainmail, which turned into Dungeons & Dragons, so you’ll see things that are very faithful to the source material as well as new elements are being incorporated with help from Wizards of the Coast, who are giving a lot of input on the script.”

Lee also revealed that the movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm. He also said that the Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”

Finally, he confirmed what common sense would lead us to believe, which is that this is an ensemble picture, a smart move since D&D is a group game about building a story with your friends.

Exclusive: New ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ Movie Will Be Like ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ in a Tolkien-Like Universe

Only way to do a D&D movie is to have the audience roll 20-sided dice to determine what happens next. Some poor sods are going home early after the cast all die ten minutes in.

Update: March 31, 2016

GOOSEBUMPS' Rob Letterman Reportedly to Direct DUNGEONS & DRAGONS

Rob-Letterman-Dungeons-Dragons-Dragonlord.jpg

Goosebumps director Rob Letterman is set to direct the highly-anticipated adaptation of the iconic role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons for Warner Bros., sources close to the Tracking Board have confirmed. Letterman will be working from a script by Wrath of the Titans scribe David Leslie Jones.

Based on the popular fantasy role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons originally designed by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson and first published in 1974, the action-adventure tale centers on a warrior and his band of mystical creatures – including a half-dragon and a cunning gnome – as they embark on a dangerous journey to find a mythical treasure.

No casting announcements have been made, but sources say that producers are eyeing a Vin Diesel-type for the film’s lead characters (it’s worth noting that Diesel himself is a professed fan of the game, having played it for over 20 years).

'Goosebumps' Director Rob Letterman Ready to Play 'Dungeons & Dragons' Movie at Warner Bros.

Update: May 14, 2016

Rob Letterman Confirmed to Direct DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS for Warner Bros.

Rob-Letterman-Dungeons-and-Dragons-051416-Dragonlord.jpg

Following its victory in court over who controlled film rights to the Dungeons and Dragons franchise, Warner Bros. is now getting closer to getting a film off the ground. Sources tell Variety Rob Letterman (Goosebumps) is on board to direct a reboot of Dungeons and Dragons for the studio.

The Tracking Board broke the news last month that Letterman was being eyed for the job, but insiders tell Variety that others were still meeting and no formal offer had been given. Sources now say that a recent presentation to execs from Letterman helped secure him the job.

Letterman has been the front-runner for several weeks, but the studio wanted to see his presentation about his vision for the franchise. The presentation went well and an official offer is now on the table.

The film has been in development for some time but the lawsuit between Sweetpea Entertainment and Hasbro about ownership of the sequel rights delayed progress. Once the settlement was finalized last August, the studio announced pre-production moving forward.

‘Goosebumps’ Helmer Rob Letterman to Direct ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ for Warner Bros. (Exclusive)

War of the Lance should be the only story considered for this tbh.

I have low expectations but wl still watch. The last two were just awful.

At least Michael Bay won't be signing on to destroy what remains of my childhood.

I heard Ben Afleck was going to be Drizzt in this.

War of the Lance should be the only story considered for this tbh.
well with Guardians Tone and Tolkien-Like Universe it makes the most sense if using a known series of books.

I'd love an AD&D movie, yes advanced because regular D&D sux, predicated around scenes of dudes doing the narrative, rolling dice then bam into the live action scenes. This should be repeated the entire movie until one of the main characters get killed and then flash to the role player getting pissed off and leaving, then the movie ends without an ending.

I'd love an AD&D movie, yes advanced because regular D&D sux, predicated around scenes of dudes doing the narrative, rolling dice then bam into the live action scenes. This should be repeated the entire movie until one of the main characters get killed and then flash to the role player getting pissed off and leaving, then the movie ends without an ending.
I believe there is a indie film or mini series like this online...aside from the no ending part.

if it was based on the cartoon i would love it

The main missing ingredient in competent fantasy adaptations is characterisation and dialogue. They can nail the woo-woo special effects and settings but without a developed, believable script, they suck. - See Shannara Chronicles.

I put forth Dragonlance for their strong characters.
I would love a World Of Darkness adaptation for the diversity of the vampire sects, they have some solid storylines, subtlety and infighting between the clans in their novels.
Or from more recent authors like Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie.

Update: June 27, 2016

Ansel Elgort in Talks to Star in DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Movie

Ansel-Elgort-Dungeons-Dragons-Dragonlord.jpg

Warner Bros’ fantasy film Dungeons And Dragons, the movie based on the role-playing game that began in 1974 and has built a multi-generational cult following worldwide, is moving forward with word coming that YA favorite Ansel Elgort is in early negotiations to star in the project — a primo role for any actor.

Dungeons And Dragons, to be directed by Rob Letterman, has been a top priority film for Warner Bros. which is looking for new franchises to invigorate the studio. The property was, at one point, the center of litigation as who had the rights. That was resolved last August.

David Leslie Johnson (The Conjuring 2) scripted the fantasy story for the studio. Hasbro’s Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis, Sweetpea Entertainment’s Courtney Solomon and Allan Zeman, and Roy Lee are producing.

Elgort catapulted onto the big screen with the reboot of Carrie and then Divergent before hitting gold with The Fault In Our Stars. He has since been tapped for the entire Divergent series as well as such films as Baby Driver and Billionaire Boys Club.

Ansel Elgort Negotiating To Star In Warner Bros’ ‘Dungeons And Dragons’

Back