New BJJ Scout

Great stuff. Would love to see how you could do this in a no gi or even better mma context.
You really don't see sweeps in mma anymore. Probably because sweeping takes patience

Probably because sweeping takes patience

Or iow, It takes a willingness to get punched in the face.

Which tends to be bad for ones competitive prospects.

More OT, in his last fight, Mousassi showed some interesting butterfly work in his escapes from Weidman's takedowns.

Last edited:
A friend was in part 1 of the butterfly and it was pretty funny when BJJ Scout asked why he doesn't stand up (the friend always passes on the knees in the gym).

Jizz ... everywhere.

Beautiful butterfly is the best of all BJJ.

Great stuff. Would love to see how you could do this in a no gi or even better mma context.
You really don't see sweeps in mma anymore. Probably because sweeping takes patience

I think in most positions in MMA from which you could set up a sweep you can just as easily if not more easily get back to your feet, and for most people that's the better option. You risk so much less that way. If the sweep fails you're often out of position to defend yourself, if you're back on your feet at least you're on equal terms.

Jizz ... everywhere.

Beautiful butterfly is the best of all BJJ.

It's almost all I play, and it's all I want to teach. A good BF guard entails so much of the right way to approach BJJ: aggressive hand and grip fighting, using your hips and upper body in coordination, getting a feel for getting under people and taking their balance, transitioning between attacks as uke continuously defends, using movement and frames for defense rather than just super strong grips, and above all having a ravenous hunger to get the fuck on top by any means necessary. It's maybe the only guard where you almost cannot stall as the person on bottom; it forces you to be active. I do love it so.

I've been getting so much from these particular BJJ scout videos because I've really been trying to implement butterfly/hook guard as my primary guard and he's solved several of the problems I've been having.

My last problem is if they stand and I don't have any control of their upper body, my butterfly guard is pretty much useless. I'm looking forward to see what part 3 shows in this situation.

It's almost all I play, and it's all I want to teach. A good BF guard entails so much of the right way to approach BJJ: aggressive hand and grip fighting, using your hips and upper body in coordination, getting a feel for getting under people and taking their balance, transitioning between attacks as uke continuously defends, using movement and frames for defense rather than just super strong grips, and above all having a ravenous hunger to get the fuck on top by any means necessary. It's maybe the only guard where you almost cannot stall as the person on bottom; it forces you to be active. I do love it so.

That's some Shakespearean level dialogue. I put it more simply--butterfly requires you to stop playing like a stalling bitch.

I've been training 9 yrs now, around 2x a week and have been a purple belt for a year.

I have never used butterfly because it just never clicked, I never spent the mat hours, etc. After watching Part 1 I really wanted to learn this method and I've been hitting it a few times a session.

Seriously, that first clean butterfly sweep was one of the most satisfying moments I've had in BJJ. Lol.

Yeah that's some sexy shit

Back