New BJJ Scout

yetanother

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Isn't this one bullshit (BJJ Scout is a lot better at video editing then grappling)?

Askrens sport BJJ is good (excellent by MMA standards).
He was rag dolling with BJJ but just focuses on punching them in the head more now days as so the Just Bleed fans are entertained.
Ben Askren finished his last fight with an arm triangle of a half guard pass which I doubt is a part of the folk style meta.

Last edited:
Askrens dynamic riding is a thing of beauty to see in action.

Its absolutely a function of his folkstyle experience.

Noone in bjj does it like he do.

Isn't this one bullshit (BJJ Scout is a lot better at video editing then grappling)?

He was rag dolling BJJ just focuses on punching them in the head more now days as so the Just Bleed fans are entertained.
Ben Askren finished his last fight with an arm triangle of a half guard pass which I doubt is a part of the folk style meta.

I'm not sure that Askren continuing to use BJJ techniques invalidates the general trends in his grappling meta which seems to me what the video was about. There's definitely an argument to be made that using more ground and pound as opposed to just positional advancement and submission hunting with your grappling is a better use of your time in the cage in the sense that even if you don't finish the person you are scoring more in the judges eyes than merely positional control, and causing damage making your life easier later on.

He was rag dolling BJJ just focuses on punching them in the head more now days as so the Just Bleed fans are entertained.

Um no it isn't bullshit lol

This is what martial arts is all about.

Should you try to put the hooks in when someone exposes the back? The answer to this question is strategic, not technical, and depends on how your skill set matches up with your opponent's skillset.

Um no it isn't bullshit lol

It's true that Askrens folkstyle skill help him with controlling guys from turtle and beating them up from there (they are also really helpful with preventing and countering them when they try to stand up from there).
What's pure bullshit is the part where BJJ scout implies that Askren's BJJ sucks when in fact it's really good. Askren is a guy who embraced the "sport" bjj rather than a wrestler who dabbles in it an uses a mixture of wrestling stuff and strikes to fill the gaps.

isnt it basically this what GSP has been doing for a long time?

It's true that Askrens folkstyle skill help him with controlling guys from turtle and beating them up from there (they are also really helpful with preventing and countering them when they try to stand up from there).
What's pure bullshit is the part where BJJ scout implies that Askren's BJJ sucks when in fact it's really good. Askren is a guy who embraced the "sport" bjj rather than a wrestler who dabbles in it an uses a mixture of wrestling stuff and strikes to fill the gaps.

I think his point is that Askrens wrestling is levels above his BJJ, which is why he's better off building his strategy around that instead of BJJ style grappling.

This is what martial arts is all about.

Should you try to put the hooks in when someone exposes the back? The answer to this question is strategic, not technical, and depends on how your skill set matches up with your opponent's skillset.

its up to you, Dont remember the last time I saw GSP go for back control with hooks, If you have good long legs, getting the back with a body triangle it gives you a lot of control, and the person isnt probably going to escape if you are good at it.

He doesn't imply that Askrens bjj sucks whatsoever. He very clearly showed and stated the shortcomings and problems ("flaws" isn't the right term) with the traditional bjj mindset and approach to positions and mma. The reason he made such a big deal and laid so much ground work to start explaining Askrens game was because a good chunk of bjj people will go "but that doesn't follow the sacred teaching of Helio or "proper" positional progression

Who is bjj scout?

Is TS saying he's a bad grappler? I don't know who he is.

He has awesome analysis of mma and bjj, I know that much.

I think Brock Lesnar vs Heath Herring was the first time I was like, "oh shit! he's beating him up with straight highschool wrestling!" Love to see this.

its up to you, Dont remember the last time I saw GSP go for back control with hooks, If you have good long legs, getting the back with a body triangle it gives you a lot of control, and the person isnt probably going to escape if you are good at it.

Besides, even if you do happen to like putting the boots in, there are still ways to keep your opponent broken down flat and prevent stand ups, something i think would definitely fit into Maia's back attack game and be a big benefit to work on.

3:15

Last edited:
Excellent video. I have short legs and my bjj submission game isn't too great so I definitely avoid the mount and back. If mount is available I will stay in side or go for crucifix, if in turtle I will just ride and gnp and not take the back.

Guys like MM, GSP, and Askren prove mma is so much different than bjj. Even though MM has a ton of submissions nowadays almost none of them came directly from mount except his last one on Reis. (Who was pretty fuckin defeated before he even went to mount)

Who is bjj scout?

He has awesome analysis of mma and bjj, I know that much.

Bjj scout is some no name guy with what seems like a judo background.
My opinion of his analysis is while they are well produced and worth watching for the actual video footage a lot of his opinions are over generalized and sometimes a bit silly. Like when he tries to make up a "concept" like the weaves video from a much of different techniques. Or the not going to happen defence of the Lucas Leite half with the Merkel.

Even though MM has a ton of submissions nowadays almost none of them came directly from mount except his last one on Reis. (Who was pretty fuckin defeated before he even went to mount)

The mount isn't a super good submission spot in no-gi unless you are a lot stronger.

Bjj scout is some no name guy with what seems like a judo background.
My opinion of his analysis is while they are well produced and worth watching for the actual video footage a lot of his opinions are over generalized and sometimes a bit silly. Like when he tries to make up a "concept" like the weaves video from a much of different techniques. Or the not going to happen defence of the Lucas Leite half with the Merkel.

why are some of his opinions silly? I find his videos great and informative. some of them have greatly enhanced my game not by showing me new moves, but helping me organize them into an arsenal from specific situations/positions.

I agree that the Merkel is a failing tactic agains the Lucas Leite half guard, but he even says that and is basically asking the viewers for help or to encourage themselves to think of a way to apply it. He admits it is hard to get rid of their undertook

Back