New BJJ: Scout, Merkle Position

man i'd love to see telles work his turtle against some of those elite wrestlers.
There are positions where that sweep can work but it can get iffy if you don't have the feel and if top guy has a merkle I don't see it

I think they usually try to clock choke me/get a seatbelt to the opposite side then what I assume is the Merkle.

No the merkle is how you counter the turtle with a grapevine.. you have a seatbelt on the same side as the grapevine, if I get it locked up all you pressuring in does is help me roll you through

I love Scout's stuff, but I thought this one was kind of odd because it's not really something that has ever been used in BJJ. It seems like he just picked a random mat wrestling move and said 'Wouldn't it be neat if this was useful in grappling?'. I'd rather see him do something on moves people actually use. Ideally I'd love to see a breakdown of how various rides translate into striking platforms on the mat in MMA. But that's just me.

An interesting technique that has seen very little MMA application, but I fail to see how it has any application to the dogfight position. You've glossed over the hardest part of making the technique work -- getting rid of the underhook. I fail to see how "cranking hard" with the whizzer is going to get someone to release their underhook. By definition, if you're in the dog fight, the bottom player has a significant angle advantage against you, since his torso is facing you, and your torso is facing the mat.
This was his reply on YouTube
you can whizzer down hard and force stalemates, they either give up and try to switch to your leg where you can start to dig. This is just one option, vs this halfguard thing you need to use darces, posting, whizzer etc. Ie your "cards" vs theirs. I'm in the school of thought that 'flowing" here is dangerous cause the whizzer is almost your last piece of control left allowing u to try move to darce, merkle etc

I thought I posted this the other day but it didn't come through. Dammit.
Anyway I played around with the merkle the other day with a couple good purple belts. One of them who wrestled through high school and college uses it to get a type of bulldog choke in the gi. He uses the grapevine to sweep, and just reaches around the neck to get a thumb in lapel grip. If he gets a deep grip and can keep the grapevine, you're fucked. Pushes you away with the grapevine while cranking the lapel. So It would be right leg grapevine, right hand on your left lapel. It's as tight as a bow and arrow.

I thought I posted this the other day but it didn't come through. Dammit.
Anyway I played around with the merkle the other day with a couple good purple belts. One of them who wrestled through high school and college uses it to get a type of bulldog choke in the gi. He uses the grapevine to sweep, and just reaches around the neck to get a thumb in lapel grip. If he gets a deep grip and can keep the grapevine, you're fucked. Pushes you away with the grapevine while cranking the lapel. So It would be right leg grapevine, right hand on your left lapel. It's as tight as a bow and arrow.
I was actually wondering if something like that could work

I was actually wondering if something like that could work
lol it works. I've been on the wrong side of it a few times. I'm not a world beater but I'm no slouch either. Maybe we can do a little video of it some time.

lol it works. I've been on the wrong side of it a few times. I'm not a world beater but I'm no slouch either. Maybe we can do a little video of it some time.
That would be awesome

I'll be honest- while I never even watched the scout video, the Telles videos were mind blowing for me. There are a few good knee slicers I've been dealing with at my gym, and I was able to hit both sweeps on a few of them last night. With time I could see this being an automatic transition / defense for me.

Now, none of these guys are world beating wrestlers, but there is a ton of potential for me there, and it fits in well with my old man jiu-jitsu. Thanks for those.

I'll be honest- while I never even watched the scout video, the Telles videos were mind blowing for me. There are a few good knee slicers I've been dealing with at my gym, and I was able to hit both sweeps on a few of them last night. With time I could see this being an automatic transition / defense for me.

Now, none of these guys are world beating wrestlers, but there is a ton of potential for me there, and it fits in well with my old man jiu-jitsu. Thanks for those.
Why didn't you watch it lol. Just curious

Ditto. I can't believe this never occurred to me before. If the passer got in deep on a knee slice I'd always stall, eventually lose the crossface or bottom arm, and get flattened. This is a much better alternative and fits nicely into some octopous half transitions I like.

Back