New BJJ: Scout, Merkle Position

jack36767

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

New bjj scout out. On the wrestling Merkle position which is similar to a seatbelt. The Merkle is a feel based position in wrestling and not everyone is good at it but it is legit. It can be hot from slide byes and other scrambles and the grapevine position can set up spladles as well.

Fun Fact: Corey Clark the wrestler highlighted in the video won anNCAA title with a separated labrum and torn ligaments in his wrist

I love Scout's stuff, but I thought this one was kind of odd because it's not really something that has ever been used in BJJ. It seems like he just picked a random mat wrestling move and said 'Wouldn't it be neat if this was useful in grappling?'. I'd rather see him do something on moves people actually use. Ideally I'd love to see a breakdown of how various rides translate into striking platforms on the mat in MMA. But that's just me.

Nice, I like it. I will have to experiment with this in wrestling class.

An interesting technique that has seen very little MMA application, but I fail to see how it has any application to the dogfight position. You've glossed over the hardest part of making the technique work -- getting rid of the underhook. I fail to see how "cranking hard" with the whizzer is going to get someone to release their underhook. By definition, if you're in the dog fight, the bottom player has a significant angle advantage against you, since his torso is facing you, and your torso is facing the mat.

I love Scout's stuff, but I thought this one was kind of odd because it's not really something that has ever been used in BJJ. It seems like he just picked a random mat wrestling move and said 'Wouldn't it be neat if this was useful in grappling?'. I'd rather see him do something on moves people actually use. Ideally I'd love to see a breakdown of how various rides translate into striking platforms on the mat in MMA. But that's just me.
I agree. The video starts off talking about the options from the dogfight, but then never really elaborates on how things can progress from the dogfight to the merkle, which would be a relevant evolution for BJJ. The mechanics are covered, which is nice, but compared to Scout's other videos, it feels a lot like this:

hqdefault.jpg

I've been using this as an attack against the turtle to enter to the inside sankaku or occasionally a few other subs.

Also from standing. Obviv / Kawazu gake to rib crushing takedown to saddle or kneebar or whatever.

Kinda upset BJJ Scout is letting people in on the secret.

I agree that it's pretty damn hard to hit versus the full dogfight.

mmm... dont like the vid too much, In almost all examples, the dog fighters has already lost the underhook...hmmm

Cool video but I agree he could have expanded more on the whizzer vs underhook battle in dogfight, my gym is full of Leite style half guarders and I find myself on the whizzer side of the dogfight quite a lot. By far the most common situation is me using the whizzer to hit an uchi mata to return my partner to their back (with varying success). Not once have I ended up in the merkle position, especially in the gi it feels unlikely I can shift someone's underhook with the whizzer, although admittedly I've never been aiming for this as an outcome so far.

Would threatening this in conjunction the darce work? Feels like he was suggesting an additional option vs dogfight, will need to experiment

That mapsite looks cool af, some of the flowcharts look like full blown instructionals hah

Would threatening this in conjunction the darce work? Feels like he was suggesting an additional option vs dogfight, will need to experiment

That mapsite looks cool af, some of the flowcharts look like full blown instructionals hah

I think it would be an arm triangle, not a darce, no? Because of the arm configuration?

I think it would be an arm triangle, not a darce, no? Because of the arm configuration?
If you have a good whizzer and they ditch or lose their underhook wouldn't that put you in position to darce? From seatbelt/head and arm control arm triangle for sute

If you have a good whizzer and they ditch or lose their underhook wouldn't that put you in position to darce? From seatbelt/head and arm control arm triangle for sute

It looked like the Merkle position was with the near arm going over the top of his far shoulder which would not be a Darce. Definitely if he loses the underhook while you still have the strong whizzer the Darce is there.

Also: how's the quitting smoking going? Still on the wagon?

It looked like the Merkle position was with the near arm going over the top of his far shoulder which would not be a Darce. Definitely if he loses the underhook while you still have the strong whizzer the Darce is there.

Also: how's the quitting smoking going? Still on the wagon?
Going pretty well. I've smoked a couple with my gf and usually have a few drags at night. Once all this divorce shit cools down it'll be a lot easier. Fucking stress.
But even cutting back like 95% or however much I've done I notice a world of difference in cardio and just how I feel.

If you crank/throw the wizzer well (with or without a mule kick) you can break their posture and snap them (back) down into a front headlock.

Last edited:
The dog fight with no underhook is my experience a strong position.

I was watching a vid a Maia rolling with fernando soluco the other day and Maia went for this sweep, i never seen it before that... Thanks for the vid...

Back