Neuroscience: Anxiety reducing songs

deviake

Otsego Amigo
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.fastcompany.com/90274251/song-reduces-anxiety-neuroscience

Edit: Link to thread about same subject started by Madmick in the Abbey forum:

There's a playlist in the link. It's a very short article.

Equally remarkable is the fact the song was actually constructed to do so. The group that created “Weightless”, Marconi Union, did so in collaboration with sound therapists. Its carefully arranged harmonies, rhythms, and bass lines help slow a listener’s heart rate, reduce blood pressure and lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.

In this age of constant bombardment, the science is clear: if you want your mind and body to last, you’ve got to prioritize giving them a rest. Music is an easy way to take some of the pressure off of all the pings, dings, apps, tags, texts, emails, appointments, meetings, and deadlines that can easily spike your stress level and leave you feeling drained and anxious.

Of the top track, Dr. David Lewis-Hodgson said, “‘Weightless’ was so effective, many women became drowsy and I would advise against driving while listening to the song because it could be dangerous.”

I listened to the top song, Weightless, which was specifically crafted to relax nerves. Result?

<mma4>

Can't say whether placebo or not, seemed pleasant though. I would imagine this varies between individuals, but the science suggests there's a formula for reducing stress/anxiety. I didn't check blood pressure or anything though.

Give 'em a try! I'm gonna listen to the rest later.

Last edited:
Neuroscience: Anxiety reducing songs. There's a playlist in the link. It's a very short article.

Ok, ‘Weightless’ sucks and so does the list of songs. Here are two of my favorite anxiety reducing songs:

I just listen to some ambient or trance if I want to completely zone out and chill.

I have put this on the last few nights and it completely relaxes me.

Music is subjective. Those top 10 songs in that article had an Adele song lol. I don't listen to Adele, so just find what works for you.

My choices don't fit well with the direction of this thread.

Lol, these songs aren't in my rotation either, it's the actual physical effects I'm curious about. I have other music that I prefer as well and these obviously aren't the only songs in existence that are supposed to reduce stress hormones and blood pressure

https://www.fastcompany.com/90274251/song-reduces-anxiety-neuroscience

There's a playlist in the link. It's a very short article.

Equally remarkable is the fact the song was actually constructed to do so. The group that created “Weightless”, Marconi Union, did so in collaboration with sound therapists. Its carefully arranged harmonies, rhythms, and bass lines help slow a listener’s heart rate, reduce blood pressure and lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.

In this age of constant bombardment, the science is clear: if you want your mind and body to last, you’ve got to prioritize giving them a rest. Music is an easy way to take some of the pressure off of all the pings, dings, apps, tags, texts, emails, appointments, meetings, and deadlines that can easily spike your stress level and leave you feeling drained and anxious.

Of the top track, Dr. David Lewis-Hodgson said, “‘Weightless’ was so effective, many women became drowsy and I would advise against driving while listening to the song because it could be dangerous.”

I listened to the top song, Weightless, which was specifically crafted to relax nerves. Result?

<mma4>

Can't say whether placebo or not, seemed pleasant though. I would imagine this varies between individuals, but the science suggests there's a formula for reducing stress/anxiety. I didn't check blood pressure or anything though.

Give 'em a try! I'm gonna listen to the rest later.
I made this thread yesterday in the music subforum:
Neuroscience says listening to this song reduces anxiety by up to 65%

I listened to the iTunes sample of that song and it sucked.

I listened to the iTunes sample of that song and it sucked.
But does it calm you down? It's about the physical effects. That's what it was designed for, it wasn't made to be a chart topper

Back