Television ALTERED CARBON (Renewed for Season 2 with New Star Anthony Mackie)

I'd give it an 7.5/10 quite enjoyed it. Great visuals, cool setting and interesting premise. The dialogue was poor at times and the plot was a bit convoluted but sci-fi shows like this are always welcome. Not enough of them.

Quick question for anyone that's watched this and Punisher... Which would you say is better?

Quick question for anyone that's watched this and Punisher... Which would you say is better?

Carbon easily. If you want the punisher rampaging around slaughtering people you prolly wont dig the Netflix version as it oddly lacks alot of well..... punishing.

Though i have heard it closes out in a violent fashion but eh.

Last edited:
I read the book and while admittedly it's been a while, I found the show confusing at times even while being familiar with the world and technology. I wish they would have explained why being an Envoy made Kovacs such a badass a bit better.

I wasn't a huge fan of some of the many changes they made in adaptation. Too many character mashups (where's Trepp, dammit?) and the origins of the Envoys and Falconer were a lot different. They could have kept her out of this season as a character entirely.

Casting seemed to be a mixed bag. Nobody was terrible, but many weren't as the book depicted or as I imagined them. Kinnaman was fine, but the other Kovacs were closer to the image I had. Ortega should have been Patricia Velasquez IMO, that tiny chick with huge comedy boobs wasn't believable in her role. The Bancrofts were fine though Miriam was a bit older than I imagined her.

TBH I could have done with a little less T&A (though in that aspect the show is pretty faithful to the book) It wasn't even HBO sexposition.

The book was better because it tried less to humanize Kovacs, but like the Punisher, I understand why they changed it.

7.5/10 and that's because I'm a Morgan fan.

Ive never read the books. Might give them a chance.

I enjoyed the show, finished S1 in less than 2 days.

I did find some episodes to be rather weak though. There were moments that I generally thought "what am I watching" and I was a bit confused at times, but overall Id give it 3.5/5 stars. Thought Kinnaman did a good acting job, the story was pretty interesting and I loved the atmosphere.

I agree. The first 6 episodes I was like this is the best show ever. Then the flashback episode felt really cheap and the actors were pretty awful. Then I got really annoyed how everything ended up relating back to the main character. IMO it would have been much better if he was just a dude from the past solving a crime.
I had a similar feeling about the Envoy flashback episode, the worst one out of the whole season. Really weak, but overall the season was pretty good.

I read the book and while admittedly it's been a while, I found the show confusing at times even while being familiar with the world and technology. I wish they would have explained why being an Envoy made Kovacs such a badass a bit better.

I wasn't a huge fan of some of the many changes they made in adaptation. Too many character mashups (where's Trepp, dammit?) and the origins of the Envoys and Falconer were a lot different. They could have kept her out of this season as a character entirely.

Casting seemed to be a mixed bag. Nobody was terrible, but many weren't as the book depicted or as I imagined them. Kinnaman was fine, but the other Kovacs were closer to the image I had. Ortega should have been Patricia Velasquez IMO, that tiny chick with huge comedy boobs wasn't believable in her role. The Bancrofts were fine though Miriam was a bit older than I imagined her.

TBH I could have done with a little less T&A (though in that aspect the show is pretty faithful to the book) It wasn't even HBO sexposition.

The book was better because it tried less to humanize Kovacs, but like the Punisher, I understand why they changed it.

7.5/10 and that's because I'm a Morgan fan.

If you read the books you probably wont like how they changed up the characters.

First 6 episodes were great. Like someone else mentioned, it kinda sucked that it became all about the main character .

I also watch The Expanse, and the detective on that show isn't special.

I do like the atmosphere in altered carbon but the season finale felt lame and cheap.

Just finished. Some questions

So I guess he permadeaded his sister? It didn't really show where he shot her and her neck looked in tact.

Did it imply that his sister was sleeved into the blonde and banged him?

Just finished. Some questions

So I guess he permadeaded his sister? It didn't really show where he shot her and her neck looked in tact.

Did it imply that his sister was sleeved into the blonde and banged him?

It does not show where she gets shot. That leaves open the possibility of her coming back later on

I felt it had a lot of potential, and was going very well, but fell apart the last few episodes.

Pretty great effects tho, wonder what the budget was

Just finished watching this show and thought it was awesome. I liked all the different characters though Leung reminded me a bit too much of Betty from Kung Pow (even had almost the same weapon lols):
maxresdefault.jpg

Most of the action scenes were well executed except for (ironically) the one in the Fightdrome.

I thought it was really interesting and actually somewhat realistic vision of what the future could be like when technology allows the ones who can afford it to live forever.

I felt they kind of fucked up with the ending though because of the double sleeving, it meant that at no point was he in any actual danger. Also as someone wrote earlier the "bad guy"s plan was a bit weak.

If she/Meth's had as much power as they tried to make it seem like they had in the show, she should have been able to pull out her brother without going through this whole scheme.

All in all I'd give it a 8-9/10 and I really hope they get a second season. If so I'm really curious to see who they cast as Kovach since he is losing the body he has.

they're both shitty, but the Punisher is better because it has decent acting at least. Altered Carbon started off with a good premise but descended into a cheesy 90's style cringefest filled with philosophy 101 debate fodder and dated cyberpunk aesthetics. It felt more like a sci-fi adventure game than a well crafted story.

Just finished this. 10/10 I really hope they make another season. I loved Joel Kinnaman, but for some reason I think they’ll portray Kovacs in a different sleeve or just explore a different story set within the universe.

Also I find his sister really hot

good lord i was gonna binge watch the rest of this series and it went from great to sliding down shit mountain at break neck speeds as soon as they had the rhino man vs takeshi ufc match .

The show has made an abrupt 180 and now feels like im watching gotham <Varys01>

i powered through episode 7 and
the whole show just radically changed its like they fired the entire writing staff

Back