Television ALTERED CARBON (Renewed for Season 2 with New Star Anthony Mackie)

Just finished it. First episode starts off good, episode 2 sucks and most of 3 as well. After that it picks up a bit and get interesting and I ended up enjoying the rest of it. Main complaints:

- Story gets really confusing.
- To many things didn't make much sense. Like they can transfer people's memories from body to body but they can't just read someones memories they need to torture people still? Then again flaws like this are always prevalent in super advanced technology type of shows\movies.
- Cop girl starts off annoying but becomes less aggravating later on.

I'm interested to see where they go from here. With a few changes they could really turn this into something that's good to great.

finished it yesterday on a binge, pretty good series but i didnt like the ending where everything gets solved and the fact that the super powerful sky dweller is arrested by a street cop after an entire season of saying they are above all and worshipped as gods by some, that was super weak imo, but i liked it hope it gets a second season

Checked out the first episode. Not bad, but something's missing. Can't place my finger on it, but I don't think it did a job at explaining how it's universe works. I also thought it was a little silly how fast the main character adapted to his surroundings after being "dead" for 250 fuckin' years. After 250 years of human and technological evolution, they just give you five minute seminar on how the world works, and you're good to go? Okaaaayyy...

Only one episode in though, and other than some nitpicky shit like that, it was watchable. Good action, great special effects, decent enough kickoff to the story. The performances are a little flat so far, but nothing too distracting. Will continue watching.

If people can live forever, they probably take their sweet time with everything, and never be in a rush. Plus necessity is the mother of invention. With immortality, there really is no necessity. So civilization basically become stagnant.

After watching the show, I wish I had read the book first as I can tell with out even reading it that the show didn't do it justice.

Still worth a watch.

The show and the book are quite different. The screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis put in lots of things from dramatic effect.

Last edited:
If people can live forever, they probably take their sweet time with everything, and never be in a rush. Plus necessity is the mother of invention. With immortality, there really is no necessity. So civilization basically become stagnant.

Fair enough, but I still think we'd evolve technologically for convenience, regardless of immortality. That includes evolving the method of how we maintain immortality.

250 years, and those chips are still the be all end all? Don't buy it.

After the concept was brought up in the film The Prestige, I cannot help but think that any technology that copies and transfers consciousness whether a teleportation or mental upload will only be a copy. The original cannot be transferred only copied. Any thing that presupposes this is actually killing the real original person unless their body integrity is preserved with life intact.

Essentially in this series it's clones of clones of clones of clones who think they are immortal but get killed pretty regularly. The original human in each case truly died on the first death.

Update: December 11, 2017

Teaser Trailer for Netflix's ALTERED CARBON Starring Joel Kinnaman

In the future, human minds are digitized and downloaded from body to body. Last night, the wealthiest man on Earth, Laurens Bancroft (James Purefoy) was murdered. To investigate his death, he brings back ex-Envoy soldier Takeshi Kovacs (Joel Kinnaman / Will Yun Lee) and in exchange, Bancroft offers Kovacs the chance to live again. The series debuts exclusively on Netflix February 2nd, 2018.

Great to see that karate kicks are still a thing in the far future. more effective than forcefield or electric weapons.

The show and the book are quite different. The screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis put in lots of things from dramatic effect.

The changes arn't all bad but they made too many 'save the day' moments with the same characters that it comes off as corny on the screen. I much perfer the randomness of the books.

on episode 5 and still loving it

dont care for the mexican cops acting but she got naked that episode and <20>

Checked out the first episode. Not bad, but something's missing. Can't place my finger on it, but I don't think it did a job at explaining how it's universe works. I also thought it was a little silly how fast the main character adapted to his surroundings after being "dead" for 250 fuckin' years. After 250 years of human and technological evolution, they just give you five minute seminar on how the world works, and you're good to go? Okaaaayyy...

I haven't watched this at all yet but in the novel it's explained in detail as part of the characters background, as in why he can adapt, almost right at the start.

finished it yesterday on a binge, pretty good series but i didnt like the ending where everything gets solved and the fact that the super powerful sky dweller is arrested by a street cop after an entire season of saying they are above all and worshipped as gods by some, that was super weak imo, but i liked it hope it gets a second season

I agree. The first 6 episodes I was like this is the best show ever. Then the flashback episode felt really cheap and the actors were pretty awful. Then I got really annoyed how everything ended up relating back to the main character. IMO it would have been much better if he was just a dude from the past solving a crime.

Checked out Ep2.

Okay, I'm pretty much convinced this show is a complete dud. It's just so poorly structured. There is no focus on anything. It just shoves shit in your face, hoping the Blade Runner vibe will distract you from just how poorly its all put together. It's not complex. It's just a fucking mess. Perhaps that's a little harsh for only being two episodes in, but based on what it's given me so far, I have no reason to believe it will get much better.

I've also got a bit of a minor nitpick, in that it's just so very try hard, in attempting to appear "adult". Here's some completely pointless gratuitous nudity. Here's every character throwing "fucking" in all their sentences. I'm no prude either, and have defended that criticism levied against other shows(like the one represented in my avatar), but there's just something about how nudity and profanity is used in this show, that feels so forced.

Don't know if I'll make it through at this point. I'll probably give it to Ep5 to hook me in the slightest. None too impressed so far.

It was alright. my friends were raving on about how amazing it is but I wouldn't go far as to say it was amazing. I enjoyed it. The action and special effects were on point for the most part but the story is way too convoluted and the acting for the most part is meh. Kinnerman is alright as the lead. My favorite character was the AI guy. I didn't find the Latina detective as annoying as some of you but I felt both the actress' performance and the way the character was written to be flat. Not particularly excited for a second season.

Aye that blonde chick that was going to be tourtered/killed had amazing tits. Perfect nipple/Arola proportion

I dont know what they will do with the second season. There is two other books, but what I mean is it will be strictly a Sci-Fi action show going forward. They cant go back to the whole immortality angle, and switching bodies, and not knowing who is in that body because that gets old.

But the other books take place in space in a corporate war with long gone Martians and leftover tech. So I just hope the action scenes will be awesome. But Kovacs is giving that body back, so I dont know who they will cast next.

Way to spoil it. ;)

I just finished it tonight and thought it was ok. I'd give it 7/10. It was nothing mind blowing.

Finished it earlier. Cool premise. The visuals are awesome. Finally got to see the chick cop naked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back