Netflix gets walloped. Stock down 15%

15% down this month but like what 100%+ for the year? LUL theyre fine.

15% down this month but like what 100%+ for the year? LUL theyre fine.
People on this site really do not understand how a Valuation works and in particular a Forward Valuation constituted of a bunch of investors gamble and bets.

It took Netflix nearly 20 years to hit 100MM subscribers and that was a phenomenal growth rate which has put it amongst the most successful and fastest growth companies.

Now Analysts and Stock Traders have started to bet that they can add 200-300MM more subscribers in the next 5 years getting to a total of 400MM subscribers So TRIPLE in 5 years what they did in the prior 20 years and the stock has been correlating to those predictions and bets via a Forward Valuation. Much of this hype and talk started early this year and it might come true in that time frame or it might not.

So what happens if that PREDICTED growth is actually slower, and as REAL results come in it becomes clear that Netflix is not on track to hit 400MM users within 5 years but instead is may take 6.5 years or 25% longer to hit 400MM users or even 10 years. Well that is still phenomenal growth. Triple the growth that Netflix has had in its first 20 years in half the number of years if it takes 10. So a growth rate of 6X when comparing Netflix to Netflix, first 20 years versus next 10 years.

But yes because OTHER PEOPLE had gambled and bet on even faster growth the stock price will come back and reset to the new growth rate.

That is in no way a negative thing nor a sign of any doom as many seem to think here. Imagine, again, it took 20 years for Netflix to hit 100MM subscribers and that put it amongst the worlds fastest growing companies. Now the debate is over it can triple that growth rate and if that takes 5 years (as the most aggressive betters are saying) or it takes 10 years or somewhere in between.

Well guess what? Any of those are massive success and much more success than the company has had to date.

Dude do you know what a figure of speech is.

I can most certainly name good shows.

Stranger things
Daredevil
Like cage
Punisher
Ozark
Altered carbon
The crown
Glow
Dark

I mean the list is endless really

Easy
Love
Bloodline until it got cancelled and they fucked up season 3
Making a Murderer
Black Mirror new seasons

There's a ton of good stuff with the crap. I find almost all I watch on NF is original content because I've usually seen most movies I want to see before they hit NF.

I'm not too worried about it. Netflix isn't going anywhere any time soon. Maybe they shouldn't be valued as much as Disney, but that doesn't mean that they are suddenly some type of failure.

Perhaps they are spending too much on original content and it's not fueling international growth as they had hoped. Ultimately I think they are correct in focusing on original content, but they may not be as efficient as they can be with it.

I liked altered carbon, and all the marvel shows have been enjoyable (to me anyways)

their movies are awful though, last one I saw was that cloverfield garbage

I liked altered carbon, and all the marvel shows have been enjoyable (to me anyways)

their movies are awful though, last one I saw was that cloverfield garbage

Altered Carbon was a fun series . . . thanks for the heads-up on their version of Cloverfield whatever . . .

I'm several episodes into Glitch . . . might have to check Wormwood out.

It's a slow burn.

I actually had to restart it once or twice.

Definitely interesting, but you've kinda gotta pay attention.

Easy
Love
Bloodline until it got cancelled and they fucked up season 3
Making a Murderer
Black Mirror new seasons

There's a ton of good stuff with the crap. I find almost all I watch on NF is original content because I've usually seen most movies I want to see before they hit NF.

It's just like regular tv, there are very good shows and shows that aren't good at all

I dunno they got some decent series that are worth checking out if you've not seen them.

Black Mirror
Stranger Things
The Expanse
House of Cards
Punisher
Daredevil
Altered Carbon
Star Trek
Narcos
The Crown
Mind Hunter
Master of None
Love
Bojack
Glow
F is For Family
The Rain
Making a Murderer
Last Chance U
Chefs Table
Arrested Development
Santa Clarita Diet is pretty funny, as well. Orange is the New Black was trendy the first year or two.

Netflix has damn decent original content. Bojack Horseman, the first seasons of Daredevil and House of Cards, The Crown, Glow, etc. are legitimately good shows.

Not really getting the anti-Netflix agenda, here. While I do think they should focus more on their better shows, I don't really see the issue with having more content, per se. It's better to have more options.

Their original movies are good, too.

People on this site really do not understand how a Valuation works and in particular a Forward Valuation constituted of a bunch of investors gamble and bets.

It took Netflix nearly 20 years to hit 100MM subscribers and that was a phenomenal growth rate which has put it amongst the most successful and fastest growth companies.

Now Analysts and Stock Traders have started to bet that they can add 200-300MM more subscribers in the next 5 years getting to a total of 400MM subscribers So TRIPLE in 5 years what they did in the prior 20 years and the stock has been correlating to those predictions and bets via a Forward Valuation. Much of this hype and talk started early this year and it might come true in that time frame or it might not.

So what happens if that PREDICTED growth is actually slower, and as REAL results come in it becomes clear that Netflix is not on track to hit 400MM users within 5 years but instead is may take 6.5 years or 25% longer to hit 400MM users or even 10 years. Well that is still phenomenal growth. Triple the growth that Netflix has had in its first 20 years in half the number of years if it takes 10. So a growth rate of 6X when comparing Netflix to Netflix, first 20 years versus next 10 years.

But yes because OTHER PEOPLE had gambled and bet on even faster growth the stock price will come back and reset to the new growth rate.

That is in no way a negative thing nor a sign of any doom as many seem to think here. Imagine, again, it took 20 years for Netflix to hit 100MM subscribers and that put it amongst the worlds fastest growing companies. Now the debate is over it can triple that growth rate and if that takes 5 years (as the most aggressive betters are saying) or it takes 10 years or somewhere in between.

Well guess what? Any of those are massive success and much more success than the company has had to date.

The CEO admitted this was a disappointment and said they had internal problems. Don't blame this on the market. Netflix plays the game and it is what got them their valuation in the first place.

No, not negative at all. Jesus fuckin Christ, you are painting a more rosy picture of this than the fuckin CEO. Even he wouldn't spout this bullshit. Because he knows it is bullshit. He knows Disney-Fox, Amazon and others are threats. He is already crying about it. He doesn't like these mergers because he knows what they mean for Netflix.

What took place 20 years ago, or how long it took, is irrelevant. I am not taking into account ANYTHING from Netflix more than a few years ago. It is irrelevant.

All your telling me was that Netflix was immensely overvalued. No shit. The CEO had no problem selling shares at that high valuation. He profited immensely from this run up. Don't give me this "poor Netflix" shit. And get off your fuckin knees. You sound like a Tesla cultist the way you blow this company.

Last edited:
I'm in complete agreement with you. People act like Netflix is too big too fail, like Blockbuster wasn't a massive company that failed before them. It's a relatively cheap service that people can quit quite easily. I also completely agree with on you on Disney. I'd much rather take my chances with the company that owns ABC, ESPN, Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, and now Fox. Would be interesting to see if they'd include sports/UFC.

^This. Their movies are shit, they give away shows and comedy specials to anyone, the only reason I kept it as long as I did was because it's cheap. More isn't necessarily always better as Neflix has proven.

It is so stupid. Just saw it again. "Netflix ain't going anywhere." They think the world is a static board game and the pieces only move on rolls of dice and things you can see coming. I already said it is the next AOL. Nobody thought that or a billion other businesses would go belly up either. Snapchat is another good recent example. There are a ton of them.

Guys like Jeff Bezos think they have a God given right to every fuckin dollar on this planet. They are coming for you, Netflix.

Breaking News: Netflix stock up 18% after overnight trading.

I love Netflix, and have been a subscriber since 2010 or some shit, but lets be honest.....only two of those shows are any good. I wanted to love the punisher but it sucked aids dick.
Yeah, I stopped watching The Punisher after like two or three episodes.

Shit was gay.

Who gives a shit.. You know how much money Netflix made? Enough for all their kids and grandchildren I'm sure.

Who gives a shit.. You know how much money Netflix made? Enough for all their kids and grandchildren I'm sure.

A shit ton lol, a hundred million accounts at 10 bucks a month is a billion dollars every 30 days.

Back